DVDVR Message Board

Who's more important for wrestling history in a positive way?

Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• John Cena
    • Mitsuharu Misawa
    • I don't know or it's a draw
  2. 2. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Goldberg
    • Kenta Kobashi
  3. 3. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Jushin Liger
    • Rey Mysterio
  4. 4. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Chris Jericho
    • Toshiaki Kawada
  5. 5. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• AJ Styles
    • Batista
  6. 6. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Daniel Bryan
    • Edge

Good morning.

I hopened this poll to compare the historical importance of different wrestlers. The criteria is exclusively historical importance, this poll is not about who is the best worker.

What does historical importance mean for you? Is there a direct correlation between popoluarity/fame and importance, or are there different criteria?

In particular, what are your choises, and what are the reason of your choises? Thank you very much

The comparisons are:

1) John Cena vs Mitsuharu Misawa

2) Goldberg vs Kenta Kobashi

3) Jushin Liger vs Rey Mysterio

4) Chris Jericho vs Toshiaki Kawada

5) AJ Styles vs Batista

6) Daniel Bryan vs Edge

Unfortunately I didn't include so many wrestlers, like Hogan, Austin, Rock, Thesz, Gotch, Funk, Hansen....,however I can't post more than 6 comparisons, so....

Thank you again

I've always enjoded these kind of polls, although I've not the knowledge to vote the majority of them.

I could only judge Batista vs AJ and Bryan vs Edge. I would vote for Batista and Edge.

However, why did you vote for Daniel Bryan against Edge? I think it's ridiculous. How hell Bryan is more important than Edge? Maybe because you like him more, but for sure  not because he is more important.

• Like 1

Edge was never the Ace in any company, Bryan was the Ace in two different companies. WWE fans bought tickets and saw Edge matches. Daniel Bryan fans bought tickets and watched WWE shows.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

Edge was never the Ace in any company, Bryan was the Ace in two different companies. WWE fans bought tickets and saw Edge matches. Daniel Bryan fans bought tickets and watched WWE shows.

I knew that when Bryan was on top buyrates, house show attendance, tv ratings were way down from the year before, while when Edge was on top business increased, in fact buyrates and tv ratings increased in 2006 during his feud with Cena.

Furthemore Edge was also more influential considering that without him, probably TLC matches would have been not so much important. There is also a ppv called TLC, while Bryan did nothing like that. Do you think that Bryan is more influential?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wrestling fan from France said:

I knew that when Bryan was on top buyrates, house show attendance, tv ratings were way down from the year before, while when Edge was on top business increased, in fact buyrates and tv ratings increased in 2006 during his feud with Cena.

Furthemore Edge was also more influential considering that without him, probably TLC matches would have been not so much important. There is also a ppv called TLC, while Bryan did nothing like that. Do you think that Bryan is more influential?

There's an entire generation of wrestlers trying to be like Bryan. He was the most over wrestler in the world for 3 years before his body broke. He was so over and beloved it forced Vince McMahon to change his plans for WrestleMania.

I like Edge, but there's just no argument here.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, wrestling fan from France said:

However, why did you vote for Daniel Bryan against Edge? I think it's ridiculous. How hell Bryan is more important than Edge? Maybe because you like him more, but for sure  not because he is more important.

This gimmick sucks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is going to be a contentious statement, but I couldn't vote for Kobashi and especially Misawa because they were a huge factor in the dangerous head-drop style that had huge NEGATIVE effects for many years of wrestling history. I don't say that with any smugness or pride, it's actually really fucking sad, especially with how Misawa's life ended. If we're talking overall history they're the easy pick, but ultimately they did more damage than good. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's an entire generation of wrestlers trying to be like Bryan. He was the most over wrestler in the world for 3 years before his body broke. He was so over and beloved it forced Vince McMahon to change his plans for WrestleMania.

I like Edge, but there's just no argument here.

Over in what sense? Yes, he got big crowd reactions. Did they translate in increasing business? I don't think so. I think that WWE lost so many fans in 2013-2014, when he was at his peak.

• Like 2

1) John Cena vs Mitsuharu Misawa: 

Cena. Misawa had good matches, but his style directly led to a lot of problems (and his own life, as said.) 

Cena, on the other hand, brought WWF out of the attitude era and successfully brought families back- which, even if some fans don't like it, is far, far more positive for wrestling.

2) Goldberg vs Kenta Kobashi

Kobashi. I'd want to vote against for the same reasons on the first one- but even with those, it ignores the simple fact that Goldberg was the single greatest flash in the pan in all of wrestling history. 

There's nothing separating Goldberg from any other super-intense hoss who is kind of limited in the ring...nothing that you can build long-term around, but who can absolutely give you one or two good years before they get exposed (think Warrior, Ahmed Johnson, Ryback for other examples)...except Goldberg's year at the top was the biggest in wrestling history.

3) Jushin Liger vs Rey Mysterio

Liger.

Rey Mysterio is one of the greatest high fliers of all time.

America would have never accepted Rey Mysterio without Jushin Liger breaking out first.

4) Chris Jericho vs Toshiaki Kawada

Jericho. 

Same problem as Misawa before, but Jericho has so many extras. The flirtations with mainstream success alone make him a positive for wrestling history, but the fact that Jericho is one of the few TOP NAMES who knows when he needs to reinvent himself before everyone else does and is willing to make the change six months too early instead of six months too late helps him.

5) AJ Styles vs Batista

Batista.

AJ Styles is a very good wrestler, and was a good wrestler for a far longer time.

Batista brought pro wrestling back to Hollywood and proved once and for all "Dwayne Johnson wasn't a blip in the universe- top pro wrestlers might be pretty good at this acting thing."

6) Daniel Bryan vs Edge

I voted Daniel Bryan with my gut, but thinking about it more- I actually might want to change my vote to Edge.

Daniel Bryan was a very good indy star, but most of his stuff wouldn't have worked without standing on the shoulders of giants. Without CM Punk's success, WWE doesn't realize Danielson could get stardom on the main stage...and that ultimately culminates in the YES! Movement, when the IWC finally took hold enough to prove their stars could be LEGIT stars in wrestling and get everything else on board...which paved the way for the NXT movement and making it clear "ANY top indy star has a fighting chance to make it national now."

But even that was standing on the shoulders of giants. Without the Pipebomb, there's no YES! Movement...but the Pipebomb couldn't exist without the fans making it clear they wanted a more social media-friendly TV show where what people know on their social media accounts plays into their character. The Pipebomb begat the YES! Movement...but secretly, Z! True Long Island Story begat the Pipebomb.

This is where Edge becomes more important than Bryan...because Edge was the first guy to harness the power of the IWC and turn IWC reactions into something you could use in kayfabe. Edge was a flailing heel in 2004- kind of rising to be a heel, but fans still kind of liked him and weren't in on him as a bad guy. Then, the Lita/Matt/Edge thing happened, and Edge was able to harness this new IWC hatred and use it to galvanize his heel turn- and suddenly Edge became one of the best heels of the 2000s. 

Daniel Bryan and the YES! Movement was big- but the seeds for everything that happened with the 2010s style of wrestling started with that one moment, and it only worked because Edge was smart enough to take this real life hatred a lot of fans had for him and use it to make his heel turn STICK.

• Like 2

Edge's 2002 run (post-draft and shampoo commercials) was my favorite of his career. Classic matches with Angle (Backlash & hair vs. hair). A fun feud with Jericho which led to a great, if not forgotten about cage match on smackdown. Winning the tag titles with Hogan. The series with Eddie. The Smackdown 6. It's a shame he got injured after such a strong year. He never really hit that kinda form again. 

And yeah, less said about his spear the better.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wrestling fan from France said:

Business went up with Edge on top because Cena haters thought the Super Cena Megapush was finished.

Tables are Sabu. Ladders are Dynamite and Bret. Chairs are traditional. TLC is more Jeff Hardy than anyone else. Edge was in those matches, but they were Hardy matches Edge was in, not Edge matches. And arguably the TLC legacy is a negative anyway, for both spot killing and career shortening reasons.

• Like 1

BTW, the notion that Edge is more important than Daniel Bryan is fucking laughable, and I love Edge. 

Also, using the argument that Daniel Bryan didn't pop ratings or buyrates or whatever is extremely flawed considering that no one and nothing brings in viewers with any kind of consistency. Not Brock, not Ronda, not Vince, not Cena, etc.

• Like 3

“Edge is responsible for a generation of table and ladder bumps, which is good; Kobashi/Misawa are responsible for a generation of vertical-drop suplexes, which is bad; and Bryan is in no way responsible for junior workrate style and indie underdog narratives having essentially taken over the wrestling world, for better or worse” seems an impossible group of ideas to hold at once, and yet this thread exists.

• Like 2

One of these is very easy for me.

And a perfect excuse for a random loot drop of a

BATISTA FASSSSSSSSSSSSSSHIOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNN WAAAAAATCH!!!!!

Spoiler

WWE-Wrestler-Dave-Bautista-leather-Vest-

That last DVD...the one way down in the bottom of the Big Lots bin. Nope, down beneath the Fockers...keep going...past the Freddie Got Fingereds and the Drop Dead Freds...The one with Brian Bosworth on the cover...yeah, that's the one. Now flip it over...you see the main bad guy? Why yes, he is played by Don Swayze...good eye, sir!  Now look to the left over his shoulder. You see his second main biker goon henchman?  There it is...fuck yeah....

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, the notion that Edge is more important than Daniel Bryan is fucking laughable, and I love Edge. 

Also, using the argument that Daniel Bryan didn't pop ratings or buyrates or whatever is extremely flawed considering that no one and nothing brings in viewers with any kind of consistency. Not Brock, not Ronda, not Vince, not Cena, etc.

In your opinion, what is Daniel Bryan's place in wrestling history? In the sense, how would you rank him in a ranking of the most important/influential wrestlers of all time?

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

“Edge is responsible for a generation of table and ladder bumps, which is good; Kobashi/Misawa are responsible for a generation of vertical-drop suplexes, which is bad; and Bryan is in no way responsible for junior workrate style and indie underdog narratives having essentially taken over the wrestling world, for better or worse” seems an impossible group of ideas to hold at once, and yet this thread exists.

In your opinion, what is Daniel Bryan's place in wrestling history? In the sense, how would you rank him in a ranking of the most important/influential wrestlers of all time?