RIPPA

Well again - spoiler free until the show actually airs

Advertised for tonight

• Ricochet/Adam Cole II
  • Kassius Ohno will make an announcement
  • Taynara Conti vs Aliyah
  • Street Profits wrestle
  • Dominik Dijakovic vs Shane Thorne

Every time I see the Street Prophets I think about how naturally charismatic, athletic, and entertaining Montez Ford is and how much Angelo Dawkins is not. Angelo is like that guy at the party who hangs out next to that charismatic guy trying to siphon just a little bit of his attention for himself. Montez Ford just IS this guy. Angelo Dawkins is TRYING to be this guy. Hard. And it shows. Dawkins has some talent, but not near what Ford does. He's definitely the Stevie Ray to Ford's Booker T.

I also have been noticing how puffy Ford's nipples have been getting, but that's one I'm not sure I want to unpack right now.

I saw someone else mention gyno in relation to Ford. The guy has a naturally slender build and wrestling is a body-image business. I don't know.

That said, his corpsing beside a knocked-out Ohno was incredible. Keith Lee was hilarious. Good singer, too! I feel bad for Dawkins. He's decent, but he pales in comparison to Ford. I like how they're getting all the tag teams involved, I assume this is leading to the next Dusty Classic.

And my word, Stacey Ervin's moonsault is a thing of beauty.

Ricochet/Cole tried to kill each other, good grief. Really good match. Is Ricochet/Black going to be a team at some point?

Interesting to see where they go with Strong, as he returns to doing more singles work. He can add a fresh body to the NXT 6, so that's a plus. And I do like how they're connecting 205 guys more with NXT with Gulak and Carillo.

• Like 2

Ford rules. That guy is so funny. 

There are no doubt any number of Dustin Rhodes vs. Technically Proficient Opportunistic Heel matches on WCW Saturday Night's Main Event matches from the early 90s that are legitimately brilliant matches that only dorks like us would chronicle or remember. In 20 years, one of our offspring will be going through random NXT  matches and will find the Ricochet/Cole match from tonight and will rightfully hail it as a lost classic. What a fantastic match. 

Dug Carrillo/Erwin vs. Street Profits. Erwin's moonsault was insane with the amount of height it go. I feel like people undersell Dawkins. To me he is a lot like Jason Jordan was with Gable. He doesn't have Ford's charisma, but people are pretending at times that he is practically talentless in comparison because of that. Wrestling wise he is pretty solid and has the personality to keep up with Ford craziness. He works well with Ford as team in a way I doubt many others could. Dawkins likely won't go far on his own, but Ford seems a decent way from being ready to strike out on his own anyways so their team works for now.

Hope they announce the Dusty Classic soon to make sense of every team feuding at once.

So is Ohno transferring to NXT UK? I see he has a match with Walter coming up in two weeks, and he spoke of this like it was goodbye.

Aliyah seems to have a new gimmick and look every time she appears on NXT. I hope the team with Borne goes somewhere though I have my doubts with 3/4 MMA Horsewomen destroying them and Conti tonight. Conti as a face feels weird to me since she seemed to lean into a heel personality pretty naturally before. She did show more than she normally does so that was nice.

Not a big fan of Ricochet or Cole, but I dug their match tonight. Ricochet trying to hit all of his springboard stuff using one leg instead of ignoring the damaged one was neat.

I can dig Aliyah and Borne as a duo. They should at least try something with them. A shame they were immediately undercut but hey, not everyone is a dominant heel. That whole division is rebuilding a little so now is the time to try a few things but if this isn’t a go maybe it’s time for Aliyah to go on an excursion or something cause I feel like we’ve been getting false starts for years now.

The backdrop that Ford gave Erwin was sick. So glad he was ok, hopped up for a sweet hot tag and hit the highest moonsault I've seen. I'm not the biggest fan of Dawkins, but sometimes I feel there is less of those little things to get on him about vs Ford. I guess it comes with the style they wrestle. Montez is still the one who shines more of the two imo.

People have been really behind wanting to see Aliyah win more or even thinking it's time she got called up, but I'm just not a fan. It's cool that she has gear designed by Donatella Versace. Adds legitimacy to her now 3rd gimmick. Gimmick wise that whole "Passion for Fashion" thing that Jinny does works. Aliyah seems comfortable playing that role. Ring wise she just never impresses me, doesn't have a recognizable set of offense, and I thought her making a black belt judoka tap with a kimura was fucking dumb.

• Like 2

Aliyah has been with NXT since Spring 2015.  She likely would have been cut had it not been for her age. She's only 24. I remember she tried to do a Bratz Doll gimmick that went over like a lead balloon. She's not terrible, but she doesn't stand out from the crowd to where anyone will take notice. I don't know what else can be done with her other than pair her up in a tag team, which they're going with in Vanessa Borne. Borne has potential as a mid-card heel/heater for an upper-mid card guy with the right push. 

11 hours ago, AverageKong said:

It's cool that she has gear designed by Donatella Versace.

Burberry and Louis Vuitton, too.

Aliyah is a local Florida loop favorite. I'm sure that plays a role as to why she's kept around. She's still young and still growing and she's one of the girls I could see staying around NXT as Triple H has mentioned there's some NXT talent that will never get called up and will stay in NXT.

She's seemed much better to me than Borne.

I too think Aliyah's age is helping her keep a job. At 24 she could probably spend another 2 or 3 yrs in NXT and still possibly go on to have a run on the main roster, but I don't really see the point in that. I cant say I see a point in keeping her in NXT as a regular either. I just feel NXT is a place for fresh faces and they've been signing a lot of women. I can't see her pulling ahead of any of the underclassmen. The talent pool is too thick imo. Having a 5+ yr career in developmental as an enhancement talent just isn't a good look. I could see her becoming a decent valet/manager, but I cant recall her ever cutting a promo and she cant keep a steady character. 

I'm not a fan of Vanessa either, but she seems to have more of a character developed and I feel her ring work is what you would expect from someone with her experience. I feel the same about Taynara too. Still very green, but she has a solid character that she is comfortable presenting.