DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - SPRING TRAINING~!

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Paul Goldschmidt as the next free agent of the 2019 and 2020 groups that doesn't reach free agency.

And would you say that those dollars come from STL, or that he gets dealt and whoever gets him backs up the Brinks truck? I guess that probably hinges on whether or not STL can get back to their playoff-making ways, eh?

2 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

And would you say that those dollars come from STL, or that he gets dealt and whoever gets him backs up the Brinks truck? I guess that probably hinges on whether or not STL can get back to their playoff-making ways, eh?

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Doubtful anyway.  He's turning 32 this year (didn't come up full-time until his age 24 season).  Given how they treated Pujols, STL isn't going to make that mistake now.  And it's quite unlikely anyone else will, either.

I think Goldy stays in St. Louis. Playing his first full big league season at 24 could work in his favor since he doesn't have as much mileage on his body. Pujols was three years younger when he came up full time, and played 161, 157, and 157 games in those first three years. Goldschmidt played 145, 160, and 109 games in his first three full years. He only played in 48 games in 2011. I could still see Goldschmidt being productive in his late 30s, especially if the NL adopts the DH. I think he gets a 5 or 6 year deal.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The best/worst part about the Trout deal is that, both by "value per win added" and "in comparison to what other players make and skill level", barring a major drop in performance early on, he's still wildly underpaid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - so some of the details are starting to emerge

Trout's deal will basically redo the current remaining two years of his deal. So it is 10 additional years to the 2 he was already committed to LAA.

It's appears to be a $36 million a year (unsure if they will just do an even split or front/back load it)

Trout will be 40 at the end of the deal (2030)

It will have no opt outs and will continue to have a full no trade

In three years, he'd have a full no trade anyway. 

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

His research assistant must hate him. Either because he ignores them and says this shit, or for some other reason leading them to feed him this shit to say.

Would you blame him/her?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Goldy stays in St. Louis. Playing his first full big league season at 24 could work in his favor since he doesn't have as much mileage on his body. Pujols was three years younger when he came up full time, and played 161, 157, and 157 games in those first three years. Goldschmidt played 145, 160, and 109 games in his first three full years. He only played in 48 games in 2011. I could still see Goldschmidt being productive in his late 30s, especially if the NL adopts the DH. I think he gets a 5 or 6 year deal.

Was he though?  I agree about Goldy, I can see the Cards giving him a 5 year deal to stay put.

• RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic