DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - SPRING TRAINING~!

Dolfan in NYC

19 hours ago, piranesi said:

"Hey guys we finally aren't paying Ryan Howard anymore! Well, that's a lesson learned. We'll never ever ev.....saaaaaaaay who's that now?????"

Not that I'd give Harper a 10-year contract or anything, as I've documented in this thread, but he's a muuccccccch better risk than Howard.  Howard was clearly a future example of the Tabe Fat Guy Theorem which states that fat guys fall off the cliff, they don't decline.  Howard's decline was hastened by the awful achilles injury but it was going to happen regardless.  Harper doesn't fit that profile.

That said, the problem with Harper is that he's simply not that good.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Not that I'd give Harper a 10-year contract or anything, as I've documented in this thread, but he's a muuccccccch better risk than Howard.  Howard was clearly a future example of the Tabe Fat Guy Theorem which states that fat guys fall off the cliff, they don't decline.  Howard's decline was hastened by the awful achilles injury but it was going to happen regardless.  Harper doesn't fit that profile.

That said, the problem with Harper is that he's simply not that good.

As a man of rapidly declining slendernity and potence the TFGT hurts me in a deeply personal way.

10 hours ago, piranesi said:

As a man of rapidly declining slendernity and potence the TFGT hurts me in a deeply personal way.

It was field tested with first hand experience. 

This was on Primer - I am gonna assume the numbers are correct

The Padres have invested $528 million in Wil Myers (through 2022), Eric Hosmer (through 2025) and Manny Machado (through 2028).

Dodgers guaranteed money beyond 2022: $8 million.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:59 PM, RIPPA said:

This was on Primer - I am gonna assume the numbers are correct

The Padres have invested $528 million in Wil Myers (through 2022), Eric Hosmer (through 2025) and Manny Machado (through 2028).

Dodgers guaranteed money beyond 2022: $8 million.

What a mad, mad world

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I wonder when the Padres ownership will realize that AJ Preller has shit for brains.

That would require Padres ownership to not have shit for brains themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I wonder when the Padres ownership will realize that AJ Preller has shit for brains.

Maybe after Machado opts out in five years.

I'm kind of surprised the Padres haven't been in on Dallas Keuchel. He's a ground ball pitcher and was 21st in HR to flyball ratio pitching his home games in hitter friendly Minute Maid Park (It will always be Enron to me). That ratio would surely go down in pitcher friendly Petco Park.

Keuchel has a very specific list of teams he will play for

Now San Diego might be on the list but I know that is part of the reason he hasn't signed yet - there are only like 4 teams he wants to play for

• Thanks 1

Also Ervin Santana signed with the White Sox on a minor league deal but it is basically a minor league deal in name only.

He will get $4.3 million if he makes the roster which is a really high number on those sorts of deals which means they wanted to keep him away from other clubs but didn't have a space for him on the 40 man... yet