DVDVR Message Board

SDL is THE IRON KINGSTON 2/12/19

Niners Fan in CT

All this Kofi talk just reminds me of that one MitB where Kofi knocked Seth Rollins off the ladder and then the crowd goes into "Lex Luger lifting Chono up for a torture rack at Starrcade 1995" levels of crazy thinking Kofi is going to get the briefcase. And honestly that's when they should've pulled the trigger on a Kofi win...

...and then fucking Dolph Ziggler stops him.

I hate Dolph Ziggler so much.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've never been a big Kofi fan but him never getting a belt run in all this time is criminal.

That's basically how I feel as well. In all honesty, he's my least favorite of the New Day guys, but twelve years, usually over, and whenever they've teased elevating him it's gotten a great response... He really feels like a guy that should've gotten at least a token reign by now.

• Like 1

I remember most of this board hated Kofi before the New Day. His punches (of course), how light his offense looked, him doing the "boom" taunt even when he was supposed to be selling his shoulder so props to him for working his ass off, being consistently entertaining and winning people over.

Of course, most of the anti-Kofi sentiment was during the days where he was wrestling Dolph literally every week so I can see why there was so much hatred. Between their singles feud and the Air Boom/w-R-Truth vs Dolph & Swagger matches, it really felt like Kofi wrestled Dolph for 2̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶i̶g̶h̶t̶  fucking eternity.

• Like 1

I always liked Kofi and never really agreed with the hate. I do however think he found his best self in New Day both character and wrestling wise. I just want him to either get a short reign or the WM world title match since he has kind of earned something big with the time and work he has put in along with staying over throughout most of it.

• Like 1

DEAN~! used to always use the KOFI KINGSTON~! JUMPS REALLY HIGH~! as a way of suggesting that that was all he had. I think he's actually improved substantially as a worker during his time in the New Day, but because he's in tags, the fact that he's also getting better at singles in pretty invisible.

I'm glad the rest of you are finally on board with Kofi getting a title run. I thought that Kofi's best chance would have been the Royal Rumble a couple years ago because the field was wide open and anyone could win it. Then Nakamura won it, which they basically did nothing with.

Once again this year I thought it might finally be Kofi's time because if they were going to do something crazy like having Aleister Black win the Rumble, then Kofi winning it would be the next best thing, but they had to keep that Seth Rollins train rolling.

After that I just kinda figured it wasn't going to happen, which was a huge bummer. Woods and Big E have said for years that their mission has been to get Kofi a run with the WWE Title, but it didn't look like this was going to come to fruition. And then Ali gets hurt. It sucks for him because that was likely his spot, but damn if Kofi being in that spot instead didn't make a million times more sense. Kofi goes an hour and now I feel like this is the last best chance to get Kofi the biggest win of his career because if it doesn't happen now then I don't think it's ever going to happen.

I'm not even the biggest Kofi fan either, but I remember for the longest time thinking that this guy needs a heel run and a change of character to finally break out because otherwise he's just the BOOM BOOM BOOM guy and is pretty bland. Shock of shocks they turn him heel by sticking him in the New Day and he FINALLY breaks out. He gets mic time and draws legit heel heat. Then slowly New Day winds up turning themselves face because they're too good of an act to despise and he still stays awesome. He's been over this entire time, kids and adults both love this guy and love the New Day, he's turned a corner career wise where he's part of one of the best acts in WWE, and now more than ever he deserves a run with the championship. Like all things, I expect Vince to make us all the Charlie Brown to his Lucy and the football, but I have to hope the right thing happens. 

And once Kofi wins the big one, then we can really think about Big E or Woods getting similar opportunities, but Kofi needs to be the first to have a run with the WWE Title.

I still don't think Kofi is all that good, and am honestly surprised with the number of 'Kofi deserves a title run' posts I've seen. I don't generally agree with title runs as a reward for long service anyway. Unless it's one of my favourites, of course :)

I once joked that if a member of New Day was going to get a push, Kofi would be my fourth choice. Of course, that statement is ridiculous. Because thinking about it, there were 2 Francescas.

I say this as someone who doesn't actually dislike Kofi, and enjoyed the shit out of the Bryan/Kofi portion of the gauntlet, and the moment where he got in AJ's face.

In 12 years on the roster, what are his other highlights as a singles wrestler? People can shit on Ziggler all they want, but Kofi as a singles was never as over as Dolph was leading into his title reign. So don't blame the midcard treadmill for Kofi's failings. And even looking at The New Day, in which he really found his niche, I wonder how many of the best New Day tags are actually Big E and Xavier. Because that's how it feels to me.

• Like 4

Kofi beating chosen one Drew McIntyre for the intercontinental championship was a big deal.

Putting Randy Orton through a table was a big deal.

People always look forward to Kofi’s antics in Royal Rumbles and Money in the Bank.

He’s consistent.

And he isn’t pushed as a single. He’s still part of New Day, in which the whole is vastly greater than the sum of its parts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Kofi beating chosen one Drew McIntyre for the intercontinental championship was a big deal.

Putting Randy Orton through a table was a big deal.

People always look forward to Kofi’s antics in Royal Rumbles and Money in the Bank.

He’s consistent.

And he isn’t pushed as a single. He’s still part of New Day, in which the whole is vastly greater than the sum of its parts. 

He was essentially a singles wrestler for, what, 8 or so years before the New Day formed. That's a pretty sparse list of big moments for a guy we're talking about as deserving a world title run. I don't want to come off as aggressively anti-Kofi because, like I said, I find him a likeable enough guy, and I was really into his gauntlet match performance. It's just I'm not buying him as some criminally overlooked guy, and I'm surprised to see so many people presenting him as such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

DEAN~! used to always use the KOFI KINGSTON~! JUMPS REALLY HIGH~! as a way of suggesting that that was all he had

I was just gonna mention that. 

Really, the answer for why Kofi deserves the belt is Jinder Mahal. If THAT load of crap can get a reign, then can't they put the belt on Kofi for at least a fortnight? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Really, the answer for why Kofi deserves the belt is Jinder Mahal. If THAT load of crap can get a reign, then can't they put the belt on Kofi for at least a fortnight? 

I don't think Ghana and/or Jamaica were ever markets the WWE was actively trying to get money from

I would also caution folks from basing service time on deserving world title runs

Zack Ryder hit the main roster 8 months before Kofi did AND is 4 years younger than Kofi

Boom Boom Boom is Woo Woo Woo filtered through Kofi's terrible accents

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

I do think Kofi has one big advantage on Ryder, that being over.

Are you talking now or ever?

Because as a singles wrestler - I don't remember Kofi ever being this over at any moment in time.

• Like 2