DVDVR Message Board

SDL is THE IRON KINGSTON 2/12/19

Niners Fan in CT

re: Asuka: one of the main selling points of NXT weekly TV's, to me at least, is the talent doesn't feel over-saturated. One week Ricochet will be the focal point of the show, the next week Velveteen, the next week Shayna and the womens title will be the showcase, the next Undisputed Era and the tag division and so forth.  Familiarity breeds contempt especially in modern wrestling. Using NXT's structure of television motivates the viewer to keep tuning back in each week. The next time Asuka is on television it will feel like a big deal.

10 hours ago, maciej said:

I know AJ is a beloved babyface but good god, what kinda herb do you have to be in that audience to be cheering against Kofi Kingston at that point in that match.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

IMG_2979.png

wheres-herb-cd13f684-3bc2-4210-af84-1984

Seeing how they just plugged Kofi into Ali's spots makes me a little sad, especially if they had him beat everyone Ali was supposed to. Here's hoping they make it up to him down the line.

• Like 2

New Day vs. Bryan, Rowan & Harper would be a bunch of fun.

Like Rollins gauntlet performance before him, Kofi proved he is worth a crack at the title, not only at a B-level PPV but at Wrestlemania and with no real opponent set in stone for Bryan going forward, why not? That was the perfect audition.  

On the flipside if indeed Kofi running the gauntlet was the plan for Mustafa Ali before his injury, then we've been robbed of something quite special. If he's cleared in time, I'm rooting for Ali winning the title at Mania. 

It was clearly Ali that was going to go far like Kofi did.  While that would have been great seeing Kofi finally get a chance to shine after being in New Day for so long was so damn great.  Either guy in this role is a win-win for me but I'm hoping this wasn't a one-time opportunity for Kofi.

EDIT:  Just watched the last part of the gauntlet from AJ/Kofi to the end.  As much as I am a fan of Ali Kofi is not only the right guy for the Chamber but he should win the match and have the title for a week or two.  With all this time between now and WM there'll be plenty of time to get it back on Daniel.  His intensity when goading AJ was off the charts and while it was all done super quick you could see him in tears on the way out.  The guy has been a model employee and when given the chance has excelled for almost 12 years.  If anybody should get the title it's him and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

Kofi's had a really remarkable career. He had some really fun matches as an undercard babyface. It looked like they were going to pull the trigger on him against Orton but backed off. He stayed with it. Then Woods and Big E came along. They turned the terrible early THINK POSITIVE! gimmick into one of the all-time best WWE stables. They've had great matches with everyone. They can do everything from comedy and weirdness to main event work. You know how much they love The New Day? They were the cover of their investor relations annual report in 2017.

Kofi brought the house down last night and really showed everything. Lovable, goofball Kofi went aside and he became "veteran who finally wants his shot" Kofi all at once. Truly a great bunch of segments. I might give the overall gauntlet my MOTY so far. (Mind you, I somehow haven't watched Takeover yet.) Great, great, great stuff.

• Like 1

I only caught the end of the show (I'll check out at least Charlotte's promo and the gauntlet match tonight), but my takeaway was that AJ has terrible peripheral vision.  And hearing.  I dunno how Orton keeps managing to sneak up on dudes.  The crowd reacts when they see wrestlers sneaking up on someone.  You'd think AJ would at least be savvy enough to pick up on that.

Then again, Orton managed to sneak up on the camera man and Kevin Dunn.  Lol, the way they shot the end of the match made it seem Orton teleported in....

11 hours ago, RIShane said:

I think as a whole it was better than the famous Raw gauntlet match from last year. That had a very exciting first hour with Rollins/Roman and Rollins/Cena, but really died down over the second, when the excitement came from the sheer length of the match itself.

The Cena-Rollins section of that match is so, so good. Cena semi-heels so well and conserves his energy against a Rollins who's already out of it. Best Big Match John has looked in years. I rewatched it when putting together my MOTY list, and Cena-Rollins holds up nicely.

But yeah, after Rollins takes down the two headliners the momentum slows quite a bit. Feel how you will about Elias, Finn, and Miz, after Rollins you just knew you were waiting on Braun to kill people at the end. It wasn't even my favourite WWE gauntlet from last year. The June 19 gauntlet is much more consistent from beginning to end.

This one blew both away just being Kofi's story from start to (almost) finish and the emotional punch of how long we've been waiting for that big New Day singles moment. Kofi-Bryan alone was PPV main event quality.

Also, it's strange to think how far we've come with Bryan. He was missing diving headbutts and headbutting Kofi and going damn hard and nobody said a word. We really seem to be taking him for granted at the moment. We all would have freaked out about this kind of stuff a year ago. 

• Like 1

Kofi shouldn't have to audition for a title shot at this point in his career. He should have won the strap a couple of times by now. He's hinted at that a couple of times over recent years (the "don't take me back, 2009 was my best year" quip is memorable).

For all the talk of who deserves what in WWE, Kofi doesn't come up nearly enough. The man has always worked hard, always been professional. He's respected by his peers. He has had to eat more dirt than someone with his skillset should have. He's stood up for himself as much as possible. This should be his moment to reach the pinnacle, and not for some one-month, gold watch on the way out the door, finally settle the argument of has a black man held the WWE title token. A Kofi title fun of a few months with Big E and Woods in tow would be amazing.

• Like 4

My heart's always been in Big E as the potential singles guy for New Day because I like the power and I like the sleaze. But the audience definitely has a longer term investment in Kofi that should have been capitalized on by now. Any time he gets a whiff of the next level, it's clear there's an appetite for it. 

• Like 1

So I heard that Kofi Kingston wrestled for over an hour, and I had to see that. Great stuff. Thought his selling was great and he never stopped looking beat up. Even when he showed fire agaisnt AJ at the start of their match, as soon as AJ touched him he went DOWN. It felt like watching a UFC fight where the ref should have stopped it long long ago. Made me instantly want to see him and Bryan at Mania again. It could be a good feud too with Bryan and his muscle(is Harper healthy) against the New Day until it's time for the title fight. It's not like there's any singles babyfaces I really need to see Bryan wrestle at Mania instead. 

OBSERVATION:

When Orton does something sneaky and is pleased with himself he reminds me of Kristen Wiig's Gilly character.

gilly.jpg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The entire SDL women's division sans Lana is involved in other things at the moment

The options for Asuka if she was on the show are

• Squash Lana
  • Squash Enhancement Talent
  • Squash a new call-up
  • Awkwardly cut a promo

She's not the only one in a holding pattern. That is the problem when you have the smaller roster yet have multiple people involved in the upcoming PPVs multiman matches and the biggest angle in the company

It's nice that they made tag team titles for the women, but that deluded the pool even more. Anyone who might be an even somewhat credible challenger for Asuka is now in the tag title thing. They really have themselves up a creek here. So easy just to do Charlotte vs. Asuka II. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

It's nice that they made tag team titles for the women, but that deluded the pool even more. Anyone who might be an even somewhat credible challenger for Asuka is now in the tag title thing. They really have themselves up a creek here. So easy just to do Charlotte vs. Asuka II. 

This company doesn't do sensible and logical anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

So easy just to do Charlotte vs. Asuka II. 

If they are just teasing the triple threat with Charlotte, Becky, & Ronda then its likely they are saving it for WM. Really they should have just kept Asuka and Naomi teaming. They were forming a nice little team. Asuka winning the belt was no reason to split them up. They also could have done Asuka vs. Lacey. Would have been a nice fresh match.

Kofi Kingston joins a small list of wrestling an hour or more in WWE:

Daniel Bryan went the longest. 

Rey Mysterio. 

Chris Benoit.

Bob Backlund.

Triple H. 

Chris Jericho. 

Ric Flair. 

Kofi Kingston. 

Seth Rollins.

Bret Hart. 

Shawn Michaels. 

The Rock. 

Kurt Angle. 

Brock Lesnar. 

John Cena. 

Randy Orton. 

I prefer it happening naturally than in a match with the set time limit as the Iron Man match does.

• Like 1