DVDVR Message Board

SDL is THE IRON KINGSTON 2/12/19

Niners Fan in CT

Obviously, Kofi was the MVP tonight. That said, I'm pulling for Joe to win the title. Joe should have beaten Brock, but I digress.

Tamina is turning on Nia. Notice the way Nia wouldn't let Tamina get a word in and the look on Tamina's face. Nia is eating a superkick and maybe a Superfly splash. A feud between them will be great since it takes wrestlers I don't care about and puts them in an easily ignorable feud.

• Like 2

I loved that Charlotte promo so much. Charlotte came off like such an awful, entitled brat. She had such a great condescending tone about her. I loved her justification at being fine with being hand-picked for the match while the truly deserving Becky gets shunted aside. It's a business decision. Charlotte also did a great job with some improvisational moments. I loved how she WHATTED the crowd. And she also used the great "SHUT YOUR MOUTH" line her old man used to toss out to people. She had heat to start and it became a pretty epic promo by the end. 

This is why she's in this match. Ronda brings the real life credibility. She's awesome in the ring. But she's pretty bad on the microphone, especially not in front of a live audience. Becky's great on the mic with badass WWE face fire. It's going to be hard to just do Becky vs. Ronda because Ronda's so limited as a public speaker and actress. (Also: Not a knock, she's really new to live performance art.) Charlotte is so friggin' great in this role. 

• Like 7

Dug Charlotte's opening promo.

The triple threat that more or less ended up a regular tag was solid. Was nice seeing Naomi get a measure of revenge on Mandy and the IIconics come out on top of everyone.

Kofi more or less going all the way during the gauntlet was awesome. That is the longest match I can recall him being in and easily one of his best in a long time if not career wise. He won't win Sunday, but I kind of hope New Day in general gets the WM slot against Bryan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I loved that Charlotte promo so much. Charlotte came off like such an awful, entitled brat. She had such a great condescending tone about her. I loved her justification at being fine with being hand-picked for the match while the truly deserving Becky gets shunted aside. It's a business decision. Charlotte also did a great job with some improvisational moments. I loved how she WHATTED the crowd. And she also used the great "SHUT YOUR MOUTH" line her old man used to toss out to people. She had heat to start and it became a pretty epic promo by the end. 

This is why she's in this match. Ronda brings the real life credibility. She's awesome in the ring. But she's pretty bad on the microphone, especially not in front of a live audience. Becky's great on the mic with badass WWE face fire. It's going to be hard to just do Becky vs. Ronda because Ronda's so limited as a public speaker and actress. (Also: Not a knock, she's really new to live performance art.) Charlotte is so friggin' great in this role. 

It was top-notch heeling, and I think it helped highlight how its much much safer having someone like her who can control a hostile crowd in the heel role for this feud than Ronda (who clearly gets rattled by crowds who dislike her, which is understandable given her lack of experience) trying to play a face but being forced into a 'heel' role because Becky. Plus I loved her disingenuously 'dedicating' the Mania match to her friend, Becky., and she also did more to hype up Ronda/Ruby than that whole episode of Raw did.

Gauntlet match was excellent too, though its a shame that Ali was hurt so he didn't get that opportunity for a real showcase. The RKO-outta-nowhere! ending was predictable but made me laugh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I really hope this was last minute booking because I'd feel really bad for Ali if tonight's match was supposed to be the plan for him.

I feel old as fuck now knowing Kofi has been in WWE 11 years.  Even worse, Kofi undersold it.  I looked it up. It's closer to 12.

Oh yeah, and its wild that Kofi's the youngest entrant in that Elimination Chamber match.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Truth and facts. 

Charlotte's job is to draw the right kind of heat to this match and so far the plan is working because she knows how to handle a hostile crowd and Ronda really doesn't.

Charlotte name dropping Ronda's title defense against Ruby is already setting things in motion to position Ronda to get some positive light because people will hate on Charlotte instead and she'll be perfectly fine in that role.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RIShane said:

Oh yeah, and its wild that Kofi's the youngest entrant in that Elimination Chamber match.

Dude is 37 which blows my mind.  I didn't time it or anything, did he actually wrestle over an hour?   And thank God he was gone before Randy Orton ruined his singles push for a second time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Dude is 37 which blows my mind.  I didn't time it or anything, did he actually wrestle over an hour?   And thank God he was gone before Randy Orton ruined his singles push for a second time.

I think the match started 55 minutes into the show.  Something like that. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think the match started 55 minutes into the show.  Something like that. 

I think as a whole it was better than the famous Raw gauntlet match from last year. That had a very exciting first hour with Rollins/Roman and Rollins/Cena, but really died down over the second, when the excitement came from the sheer length of the match itself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Obviously, Kofi was the MVP tonight. That said, I'm pulling for Joe to win the title. Joe should have beaten Brock, but I digress.

Then or against AJ Styles at SummerSlam last year.

1 hour ago, RIShane said:

I think as a whole it was better than the famous Raw gauntlet match from last year. That had a very exciting first hour with Rollins/Roman and Rollins/Cena, but really died down over the second, when the excitement came from the sheer length of the match itself.

I really like this new tradition of the men's Elimination Chamber doing battle in a Gauntlet match. Last year's was really good more so the start for Seth Rollins vs. Roman Reigns and John Cena. This one was better from start to finish with Kofi Kingston the Iron Man. Have to feel for Mustafa Ali if he was going to beat Daniel Bryan, Jeff Hardy and Samoa Joe as Kofi did.

So for three weeks straight we've had a segment on SmackDown more of less built around the RAW Women's Title. Meanwhile, the SmackDown Live Women's Champion has had one hype video and has not appeared in the arena once.

I love Becky. I think Charlotte is great regardless of how terrible I think the booking is. But what the fuck dude? Asuka tapped Becky clean and has done jack and shit since. They better start getting behind a woman in a hurry for her WrestleMania match.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So for three weeks straight we've had a segment on SmackDown more of less built around the RAW Women's Title. Meanwhile, the SmackDown Live Women's Champion has had one hype video and has not appeared in the arena once.

I love Becky. I think Charlotte is great regardless of how terrible I think the booking is. But what the fuck dude? Asuka tapped Becky clean and has done jack and shit since. They better start getting behind a woman in a hurry for her WrestleMania match.

I think WWE is trying to make fans forget that Asuka beat Becky clean because that slightly undermines Becky. The most telling moment for me was during the hype video last week when they left that match out entirely.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The entire SDL women's division sans Lana is involved in other things at the moment

The options for Asuka if she was on the show are

• Squash Lana
  • Squash Enhancement Talent
  • Squash a new call-up
  • Awkwardly cut a promo

She's not the only one in a holding pattern. That is the problem when you have the smaller roster yet have multiple people involved in the upcoming PPVs multiman matches and the biggest angle in the company

• Like 1

As someone who was there live it was weird how apathetic I was towards Kofi being in there so long. I called 2 of the finishes for his matches, jokingly referring to his win over Joe as "The Pedro Morales Memorial Spot".  My buddy alex called the finish of Orton winning when the whole gauntlet started. Overall, live this was a terrible show

James