DVDVR Message Board

New Japan Cup 2019

Beech27

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm thinking it won't pay off, since it seemed to be heading to being either Beretta or Chuckie and well, we know how that turned out.

Ospreay right now would also make a lot of sense.  They've laid seeds for that- with the comments about CHAOS thinking the Hidden Blade is "too dangerous".   If they wanted to send Fale down the card, Ospreay could slot right in as Jay's lieutenant.

I guess pattern becomes obvious only after it ends. Chase beats Juice and loses next match, Ibushi beats Naito and loses next match as well. Makes perfect sense, but I was still surprised that Zack again eliminated Ibushi from the tournament.

So what are we getting here? ZSJ/Sanada semi-final?

I really liked Ibushi’s tap out. Weird thing to praise, maybe, but I think it accurately conveyed a man making a business decision—he’s got the IC title challenge already—even while hating it, because he never does the rational thing. 

Tanahashi versus juniors has been good lately. 

6 hours ago, Archibald said:

I guess pattern becomes obvious only after it ends. Chase beats Juice and loses next match, Ibushi beats Naito and loses next match as well. Makes perfect sense, but I was still surprised that Zack again eliminated Ibushi from the tournament.

I'm very surprised ZSJ beat Ibushi. At this point, I don't think it's going to be anyone either than Okada or Tanahashi winning. I guess I'm ok with that. Have a storyline of Okada or Tana learning from losing to Jay White in such dominating fashion, and pulling out some new tricks. 

It's been talked about somewhat on commentary that BC's plan was to have Chase; Fale; or Hikuleo win, so they would presumable lay down for Switchblade. I would like a Jay White appearance or press conference promo after a show, showing some disgust toward them for failing, and planting some seeds of dissension within BC. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Do we really need another "dissension in the Bullet Club" angle already though?

Maybe not. Outside of Jay White and Ishimori, the rest of this incarnation is pretty dull. The most interesting thing was Tama Tonga trying to be a nice guy, and they blew through that already. I'm looking forward to seeing El Phantasmo.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

10 hours ago, Archibald said:

I guess pattern becomes obvious only after it ends. Chase beats Juice and loses next match, Ibushi beats Naito and loses next match as well. Makes perfect sense

To go with the 3-way for the junior title at MSG, could we also get Naito vs. Ibushi vs. Zack for the I-C and Juice vs. Chase vs. YOSHI for the US title?

16 hours ago, Archibald said:

Really hoping we get Minoru vs Zack.  I've been wanting to see that one for 2 years now.

11 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

To go with the 3-way for the junior title at MSG, could we also get Naito vs. Ibushi vs. Zack for the I-C and Juice vs. Chase vs. YOSHI for the US title?

Because more multi-man matches the night before a card of multi-man matches is the way to go!

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Because more multi-man matches the night before a card of multi-man matches is the way to go!

Just seems strange to have supposed #1 title contenders get beaten by guys at or below their level before they get their title shots.

My brackets were already pretty broken and then Ibushi getting knocked out blew them up.  Now I just throw my hands up and futilely hope Ishii just murders his way to MSG. Also...the SANADA/Suzuki dueling submissions spot would have been so much better if the Skull End didn't look like such shite. I did like Suzuki having kind of a "for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee" moment as SANADA went for the killing blow moonsault.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:08 PM, Ryan said:

I think the bigger story is gordi is still around. Ghosts of the past reappear....

On 3/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, Evil Otto said:

Indeed!  Hey there, gordi!  He may be semi-retired, but man, he can still go!  ?

Thank you, gentlemen! It is nice to be remembered.

Since my 2nd child was born, I haven't been spending as much time watching or discussing pro wrestling but I still hang out with my pro wrestling friends and get out to a show a few times a year. I still lurk here and read about what's going on. 

New Japan coming to my hometown, and putting on a really good match here, was enough to get me back to the keyboard. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Archibald said:

Juice/Chase title match was added to the final day of the tournament. I'm glad that they decided against running it at MSG, but what Juice is then going to do in MSG? Will Fale assault him post match?

Probably some kind of Lifeblood tag match with Tracy Williams and/or Mark Haskins. I'm also glad they decided against Juice vs. Chase at MSG.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

8 hours ago, gordi said:

Thank you, gentlemen! It is nice to be remembered.

Since my 2nd child was born, I haven't been spending as much time watching or discussing pro wrestling but I still hang out with my pro wrestling friends and get out to a show a few times a year. I still lurk here and read about what's going on. 

New Japan coming to my hometown, and putting on a really good match here, was enough to get me back to the keyboard. 

Never would've guessed you were a Nara boy. ?

Welcome back Excalibur, always enjoy hearing him calling the action. The Chaos Quarterfinals was just fine I thought. I honestly thought Yoshi Hashi might get a foot on the ropes after the brainbuster and then pull off the upset. He showed a good amount of fire, but in the end he is still just Yoshi Hashi ya know? Okada/Ospreay will probably be a ymmv deal, but I enjoyed it and liked Okada being a little bit more of an aggressive dick at times. Ishii/Okada will no doubt be amazing and i'll still hold out foolish hope for the Ishii upset.