DVDVR Message Board

New Japan Cup 2019

Beech27

New Japan actually signed Chase to a contract this year—rather than just using him on a per date basis—so I guess we shouldn’t be shocked if he gets a little nudge up the card. Still... Juice has to win more often.

When you think about the fact that Chase got signed then it makes sense that they'd use him more than just a pin eater. I don't know, it was a good match I think, but I'm not sure where they are going to run this title match because I can't see it selling tickets. Maybe to pad out that new show in the late April? But honestly, more surprising thing to me was that it was relatively clean win for Chase.

I really didn't get what happened with Red Shoes in Nakanishi/Yoshi match? Was weird thing and kinda made it look like Yoshi can't even beat old veteran 100% clean.

Honma was yeah, he moves badly and they are going for that "he might be injured again" stuff in his matches and at times it looks like he legit might die. I'm glad Taichi kicked out of everything and didn't resort to cheating to get this win.

Ishii/Nagata delivered.

Thinking about brackets. I think doing Taichi/Yoshi makes sense? They have history and reason to get heated. On the other side of the bracket we probably will get Okada/Ospreay so I think that show with two main matches being OKada/Ospreay and Taichi/Yoshi would draw well enough.

And surprised that nobody mentioned here El Phantasmo video and him joining Bullet Club?

Okada/Elgin: Part Whatever was brutally dull until they started stealing each other's moves.  That at least spiced things up a little from what they usually do.  I just hate this matchup.

Nicholls was JAG out there.  I know Hikuleo and his vaginal tights aren't much to work with, but he did nothing to impress.  I guess the 2nd round match with Okada will really tell the tale on him, though.  That's a heck of a match to walk into in your first week with a promotion.

I thought that NIcholls looked ok all things considered, but I don't expect him to be a big deal player, probably something similar to what Trent was.

Archer/Henare was okay for what it was. Honestly I found Fale/Ospreay to be weakest match on this card. This is probably minor thing, but I think that Fale shouldn't have Jado or other people helping him when he is facing someone like Ospreay.

Anyway, next show should be great with three matches looking very good and Tenzan/Taguchi is so weird that it should be interesting as well.

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can't believe Chase Owens, of all people, fucked up my bracket. I figured I'd have a wrong pick somewhere, but not from the Bullet Club job guy.

Ugh, I went 7-1 in the first 8 matches, but my one mistake was the one where I risked it all, putting Elgin in the finals.

I find it at least a little interesting that there's a scenario where Okada faces fellow CHAOS members all the way through the rest of the tournament.  Nicholls, Ospreay, Ishii or YOSHI-HASHI, and Goto in the finals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Ugh, I went 7-1 in the first 8 matches, but my one mistake was the one where I risked it all, putting Elgin in the finals.

I find it at least a little interesting that there's a scenario where Okada faces fellow CHAOS members all the way through the rest of the tournament.  Nicholls, Ospreay, Ishii or YOSHI-HASHI, and Goto in the finals.

I'm at 6-2 now. I picked Hikuleo over Nicholls since I went with Juice over Owens. I had to pick one BC member to advance, I just didn't think it would be Chase. With Chase pinning Juice, I bet we get a US title match between them at MSG.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matt925 said:

Anyone watching live? I’ve got a sick baby and toddler so I’m up all night, got this on my laptop and having some brews. Evil vs zsj was fun. 

I'm watching later the same day. Staying up until 4 am to watch a three hour show isn't going to happen. I finished night two last night. I'll probably start watching soon. It's going to rain most of the day in my neck of the woods, so it's a good excuse to watching wrestling all day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm watching later the same day. Staying up until 4 am to watch a three hour show isn't going to happen. I finished night two last night. I'll probably start watching soon. It's going to rain most of the day in my neck of the woods, so it's a good excuse to watching wrestling all day.

I can empathize as those are the times WWE and MMA goes out live in the UK. WWE is midnight till 4am. UFC's main card starts at 3am.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

That might have been the first time in recorded history than an announcer has asked, "What does he have to do to beat this man," only to have that question answered immediately and in such definitive fashion.

That.  That is what he had to do.

• Like 2

I kinda like the idea that Naito struggles with Ibushi, because the usual tranquilo mind games don’t work on a person with no present mind. To make a strained analogy: Naito has one of the best fastballs in New Japan, but what really makes him great is that his breaking stuff is so much slower—the sudden gear change makes him even harder to keep up with. Only Ibushi doesn’t swing at breaking balls—ever. He’ll wait for escalation—and escalate things himself—and there aren’t many who can hang at that pace. Naito is one who can, but not every time.

Anyway, I liked the match. I hope Ibushi wins but I suspect he won’t—winning this match already gets him an IC challenge.

I was a little less fond of ZSJ/Evil, despite really looking forward to it. Too much cutesy ref stuff and slow motion reversal dancing down the stretch.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Yeah, I think this is leading to an IC challenge at Dontaku or Dominion.

Really can't see them going to MSG without their ace in the main event.

It’s a huge show. I could see them doing Naito/Ibushi IC Title as the semi-main event before the Okada/White main event.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:16 AM, The Natural said:

I can empathize as those are the times WWE and MMA goes out live in the UK. WWE is midnight till 4am. UFC's main card starts at 3am.

These are the times when living in Sydney pays off, as I can leisurely watch NJPW events live at a reasonable time.

I really enjoyed Naito/Ibushi and didnt think EVIL/ZSJ was bad either.

I was never big on him anywhere else he worked, but Kevin Kelly is growing on me as an announcer. I’ve also enjoyed the extended faction retrospectives that he narrates on the official YouTube channel.

• Like 1

Asides of Cabana and Yano advancing I'm okay with the booking decisions so far. Ibushi/Naito probably match of the tournament so far.

As for Tanahashi/Umino, I saw lots of praise, but I think that Umino didn't really do that much better than he regularly does? That is not to say that the match is overrated, but that Umino is simply great and it is about time he went on excursion or skipped it entirely.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

How close was that one 2-count Umino got on Tana, though?  *Real close.* Some of the crowd definitely bought that he had just won.

It did look like a three count. I knew Tanahashi wouldn't be losing to a young lion, but that made me question it for a second. What would have happened if the ref accidentally counted three? Would they have stuck with with the decision or come up with something on the fly?

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Asides of Cabana and Yano advancing I'm okay with the booking decisions so far. Ibushi/Naito probably match of the tournament so far.

If Gedo wanted a Yano and Cabana comedy match, why not do it in the first round? I'm disappointed with DBS, Jr. and Togi Makabe both going out in the first round. I'm fine with comedy matches, but I can do without them in tournament where an IWGP heavyweight title shot is the prize.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4