DVDVR Message Board

Gravity

Jrag

So I got back half an hour ago from seeing Gravity in 3D with my Dad. Amazing visuals, by far the best 3D film I’ve seen. I advise seeing it in the cinema for the experience of this. I particularly liked the opening sequence and FPV shots. Great performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the use of sounds and the music especially the theme at the end of the film.  

• Like 2

But nothing outside of "Visually Stunning"

I need more than that and sucking up to Clooney/Bullock to make me want to drop $20 and 2 hours.

And looking at Tomatos, they all say the same thing.  Visually Stunning, but nothing else really.

And Oscar buzz ain't what it used to be.

I'll go to bat and say that GRAVITY actually matches its stunning visuals with a story that is very personal, deeply human and, yes, even philosophical.  That is why I liked it so much.  James Cameron or Peter Jackson could have made this film and it wouldn't have 1/100 of the human emotion on display.

I still haven't seen Gravity and I really want to. Suprisingly, it's still showing in 3D here in my podunk town, but I fear this may be the last week for it at my local theater. I just can't get away on my own to see it. For those who have seen it, would you think it's appropriate for an 11 year old boy to see? If so, I can just take the boy with me. I'm trying to get him in to better cinema, but don't want to expose him to anything too graphic quite yet. A little languate isn't a problem, but don't want him to watch something with F-Bombs all over the place, either. I don't see that being much of a problem in this film, though. Thoughts?

There is a brief moment after the initial collision stuff where you see an unnamed crew member with a big hole through his face.  That's just about the only thing I can think of that might not be that great for an 11 year old. 

It's definitely a draining type of film experience, though. 

Finally got around to seeing this in theaters.  So good.  So, so very good.  I'm trying to snag a copy of the soundtrack right now because some of the music was just incredible.  I was shocked at (gonna spoiler this just in case)

how quickly Clooney dies.  I had no indication that was coming from any of the write-ups or descriptions or anything...which is pretty incredible in this day and age.  So when he cut himself loose I was all "Noooooooo!" and waiting for the Deux ex Machina to save him.

It's kinda funny, at the first crisis, Bullock was making this "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" shout that sounded just like she was on a speeding bus or fighting albinos with Melissa McCarthy and I was rolling my eyes going "Ugh, she's just not very good" and then when she starts to float away and panics I was like "Oh...wait, this IS a performance."  Completely riveting.

I really thought it was going to end

with Clooney's reappearance in the pod and her closing her eyes as he directs it home leaving the viewer to go "Oh...she died" or the extremely optimistic viewer to go "Hooray, happy ending!"

Also, last week Aziz Ansari was on Conan O'Brien where he told a story about how he was in 'Gravity' but Alfonso Cuaron had to cut him out of the film and he showed the deleted scene, which was actually a scene out of 'Space Buddies' (I presume, it had talking astronaut dogs so...) and before 'Gravity' started I thought "Great, I'm gonna keep picturing Ansari floating around talking to Lt. Butterball and the dog going "Must scratch!" and laugh and take myself out of the film but it turns out the film's such a goddamn awesome assault on the senses that I never even thought about that clip until hours after the film.

The other big fave for the Oscars this year is purported to be '12 Years A Slave' which looks awesome and sounds awesome and I'm fairly certain will be awesome, but I hope 'Gravity' takes Best Picture.  Because you can probably enjoy '12YAS' as a movie, but you can probably also enjoy it as a book, a play etc. etc.  But 'Gravity' is a complete and total endorsement of film.  You couldn't read about it, see it on a stage, or a comic book adaptation, it is basically what the medium of film exists for, to show you something you couldn't ever see in any form of media.  And for that, amongst everything else, is why it should be the Best Picture.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's fine for an 11-year old, assuming the kid hasn't lived a super-sheltered life.

I watched it with my 9 year old. He said it was one of his top five films of all time. I'm not telling you what the other four are.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote this essay on Gravity, which I just watched the other night finally. It covers stuff like Transhumanism, religion/evolution, and how a bit Louis C.K. did on Conan O'Brien mirrors Sandra Bullock's journey: 

http://jaekrenfrow.blogspot.com/2013/12/on-gravity-transhumanism-rebirth-louis.html

I had a pretty good time overall, certainly a more fulfilling experience than the majority of Hollywood stuff I've seen in the last few years. The story and dialogue were mostly secondary to the really beautiful visual metaphors, but I thought the overall message was very strong. Walking home I felt... I guess, empowered is the word, and I like walking out of a movie like that, instead of like I just had bad Chinese take out.