DVDVR Message Board

Gravity

Jrag

We also saw it in 3D and it's the best 3D I've ever seen in a movie. 

Seriously, whether if it's 2D, 3D or IMAX, you need to see this in a movie theater. If you don't go see this in a movie theater, then in the immortal words of Joey Diaz, go fuck yourself.

So, is this like Avatar where I would really feel like I'm missing something if I don't see it in theaters, but the story is just a redux of a far superior movie, or is this more than Open Water in Space?

So, is this like Avatar where I would really feel like I'm missing something if I don't see it in theaters, but the story is just a redux of a far superior movie, or is this more than Open Water in Space?

I just saw Avatar this year, and I was so disappointed. This movie is almost half the length of that piece of shit.

There's never been anything else like this before.

I cried like a wimp.  My daughter did too.  We needed slurpees to cheer us up.  What a great fucking movie.

Watch this in IMAX 3D or you are honestly missing the full experience.

• Like 1

What the hell is wrong with you people?  I know there aren't too many Cuaron nerds on this board, but there is no excuse for this to slip off the first page so quickly.

Go see this fucking movie you goofs.

• Like 1

It's a better movie than Avatar but still needs to be seen in theaters to be fully appreciated.

I enjoyed the film. I didn't love it as much as a lot of y'all, but I thought it was good and really well done.

Also, there's not nearly enough love for George Clooney's role. I thought he was outstanding.

I saw it in 2d and now i'm really leaning towards going against for the IMAX 3D experience; just amazing atmosphere, especially the first thirty minutes. I'm in love with the opening scene that just left me disoriented and totally gripped to the screen. And Sandra Bullock was incredible

Everybody is giving this strong recommendations, yet everybody is using words like "anxiety attack", "disoriented", and "nauseous".  "Feel sick for so many reasons." "We needed slurpees to cheer us up." "I want to cry just typing about it."   I'm trying to figure out why I want to pay $15 in order to feel all gross and sad.  I'm sure it's excellent, but I'm just finding it funny that these positive reviews sound like they're coming from the sole survivor of a nerve gas attack.

• Like 1

Before I read what any of you fine people have said about this film, two things.

1.  I did not think it possible, but The World's End has been bumped from the #1 spot on my 2013 film list.

2.  Any leftover dream from my childhood of someday going into outer space is dead and buried.

Seriously, holy fuck.

(I didn't see it in 3D, and it looks like maybe I should have from some of the shots, but I did see it in D-Box, and...  holy fuck.)

Not sure when the last time a movie rattled me this much.

Okay, back after reading thread:

Yes, it's not a happy watch.  Had to kind of sit there in my seat when it was over, and just... calm myself down before I drove home.  But it's a fucking great work of art, and a thrill ride, all in one movie.

Can't stop thinking about it.  God damn.

There were no more 3D showings left when I got out of work, just the 2D.

And, also, my local theater doesn't have D-Box in the same theater room as 3D.

I almost feel like it would have been worth the 90 minute drive to Lansing to see it in IMax 3D though.

Yes, it would have been. I was flinching when the debris hit the screen at points.

Haha, I felt so dumb during those parts, because I caught myself doing it, told myself "Duh, it's not actually coming at you" and yet, still did it every single time.

Just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D and it was one of the absolute most incredible experiences I've ever had in a theater. Words cannot describe how amazing this movie was. When it was over I sat there till the end of the credits just taking in what I'd seen. Give Sandra Bullock the oscar now, give the movie best picture, special effects, cinematography, score, etc..

If anyone is reading this and you haven't seen this yet, go see this in the theater in 3D (IMAX if possible) NOW.

I don't think I've ever seen a film that benefited from 3D and IMAX like this...

• Like 2

One thing I don't think has been mentioned in this thread:  I think this movie might have the best sound design I have ever experienced.  I rarely think about sound design (I think the last time I noticed it in a movie was how bad it was in Dark Knight Rises, and before that, probably Inception's brilliant use of sound...) but the way it starts with the indistinct radio chatter, and slowly comes into focus, the way sound just drops out, and it uses silence almost as a weapon, it...

If the sound design and editing Oscars don't go to this film, something is very fucking wrong at the Academy.

• Like 1

The silence is unreal, it's somehow just as effective as everything blowing up full blast.

Yeah.  I honestly cannot remember any movie that has used sound (and the lack thereof) at anything close to the level of Gravity.

Man, I am seriously considering going to see it again tomorrow.  I haven't seen a movie twice in theaters since Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.