DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is JUSTICE FOR THE REVIVAL - 2/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

Reading this thread is damn sure more amusing than watching RAW.

It's an army of marks running out into the streets and shaking their fists at the sky in a fit of rage as if Ronda, Charlotte, and Becky weren't on the same payroll.

You'd think that the fact that WM is coming up instead of SummerSlam would give them comfort, but it doesn't.

If this were a SS main event and Charlotte got added to the Triple Threat, then I'd be scared shitless because that is usually the Heels Win PPV.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, just drew said:

This is really great. They flushed Dean’s momentum completely down the toilet, and I’m sure they have no idea why he’s so unhappy. What they see in Seth that they don’t see in Dean, I’ll never understand.

I think that has to be the most frustrating part of all of this, that I think you're completely right and they don't get why Dean is so unhappy. This heel turn should have completely revitalized him. Everything Burgundy said was true. The turn was HOT. It started off great and then just...died. This could have been an epic blood feud and it turned into a complete joke with gas masks and vaccinations. Why? What the hell was even the point?

There's been multiple fantasy booking/promo writing on the board of how the feud could have gone and why Dean did what he did and literally every single one has been better then what we got. There's so much real life emotion that could have been put into this(for God's sake, that Chronicle episode spelled out EVERYTHING FOR THEM)and we get jokes! It's so stupid.

Plus, we get the larger problem multiple people have addressed. We are supposed to buy into Seth has The Guy right now. Why? What does he stand for? He has all these nicknames that don't really mean anything and just what in the same hell is he going to burn down? I want to have emotional investment in this match, but right now the only thing I care about is "JESUS CHRIST SOMEONE GET THE FUCKING BELT OFF OF LESNAR"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

The problem with putting the belt on someone like Rollins is that he'll now always be seen as wasted in a midcard tag team role or as a viable alternative to whoever everyone else doesn't like at the time.

That is Rollins' ceiling. "Ehh, could be worse I guess"

But I mean, could it?

• Like 1

They should have given them all construction themed names, then it would have made sense. The Architect, The Bricklayer and the Glazier,  Joiner or Electrician. No, that doesn't work. The Architect of Destruction, The Wrecking Ball, and the Defenestrator. Much better.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I blame the fucking lizard people (who Piper totally believed in) for this discrepancy in realities. 

You’d believe in them too if you shared Piper’s taste in sunglasses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Regarding the Lynch apology, I might be in the minority, but I think it was fucking brilliant storytelling. People often compare Becky to Austin, but there's a flaw in that. Austin, from day one, was Austin. Even when he was the Ringmaster, he was a pretty vicious heel.

Becky, on the other hand, only became The Man a few months ago. Before that she was just a spunky, whitebread babyface. She played the game the "right way",until she saw that it was a sham.

So then you put in "NXT Daddy" HHH into the mix. He tells Becky she should put her pride aside, apologize, and go to Wrestlemania.

Of all the authority figures, Becky would trust HHH the most. If it wasn't for him,after all, she probably wouldn't be there. If anyone could convince her to play the game again it would be him. So she does, and amazingly it turns out he wasn't lying. He declares that Lynch-Rousey is back on.

Only HHH doesn't run this game. Vince does. And the old man pulls the rug out from under her. Now she knows better. If The Man is going to become the next Stone Cold, Monday night was when it started.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, mystman said:

Regarding the Lynch apology, I might be in the minority, but I think it was fucking brilliant storytelling. People often compare Becky to Austin, but there's a flaw in that. Austin, from day one, was Austin. Even when he was the Ringmaster, he was a pretty vicious heel.

Becky, on the other hand, only became The Man a few months ago. Before that she was just a spunky, whitebread babyface. She played the game the "right way",until she saw that it was a sham.

So then you put in "NXT Daddy" HHH into the mix. He tells Becky she should put her pride aside, apologize, and go to Wrestlemania.

Of all the authority figures, Becky would trust HHH the most. If it wasn't for him,after all, she probably wouldn't be there. If anyone could convince her to play the game again it would be him. So she does, and amazingly it turns out he wasn't lying. He declares that Lynch-Rousey is back on.

Only HHH doesn't run this game. Vince does. And the old man pulls the rug out from under her. Now she knows better. If The Man is going to become the next Stone Cold, Monday night was when it started.

From a story perspective its an interesting angle. The problem is it didn't really work for the audience. It deflated the live audience a tremendous amount.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

From a story perspective its an interesting angle. The problem is it didn't really work for the audience. It deflated the live audience a tremendous amount.

True, but I'm sure the reaction she'll get when she shows up at Elimination Chamber will make up for it.

My guess is she steals the belt.

19 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Image result for brian pillman smart mark

Did you watch the last MLW show? Pillman Jr was wrestling in the ECW Arena for the first time, and playing slight tribute to this promo before his mystery partners tag match against Tommy Dreamer. It's on youtube. Watch the first few seconds to see Teddy Hart & Bulldog Jr's utterly nutty tag finisher.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Plus, we get the larger problem multiple people have addressed. We are supposed to buy into Seth has The Guy right now. Why? What does he stand for? He has all these nicknames that don't really mean anything and just what in the same hell is he going to burn down? I want to have emotional investment in this match, but right now the only thing I care about is "JESUS CHRIST SOMEONE GET THE FUCKING BELT OFF OF LESNAR"

"And at WrestleMania, the Kingslayer could become the BEASTslayer!"

3 hours ago, mystman said:

This is a great take. It also ties into Charlotte's bit that Becky still hasn't learned how to fully play the game. 

If the storytelling had more connective tissue, it would work. But I don't see them putting it together in a way to where viewers not as perceptive as you will see it. 

Also, if Becky is to be this character for a while, she's going to need a full-time foil to make it work. She can't feud with Charlotte every step of the way. Stephanie is the obvious choice, but I don't think Steph is looking to be on TV so much anymore. 

The nature of this where Becky got doublecrossed by Vince makes sense, but even then in retrospect...this just doesn't work.

Ultimately, the worst part of this storyline is that even people who are unhappy Charlotte was in the match inherently know: Unlike with, say, Bryan in 2014, they know they're going to get exactly what they want. 

Everyone's pretty much aware: It's going to be a triple threat. Becky's going to get back in the match...and moreover, it is currently more likely than not that Becky Lynch will win. The fans are going to get what they want, they KNOW they're going to get what they want...and yet the second a little bit of adversity comes Becky's way, the fans throw a shitfit about it happening. 

This outrage about the change might take the cake as the single most "spoiled, entitled baby" moment in pro wrestling fandom's history. 

• Like 3

It literally has nothing to do with adversity in Becky's way. It has to do with it being fucking stupid booking.

Shawn shouldn't have been in the Mania XX match. Batista shouldn't have been in the Mania XXX match. Charlotte shouldn't be in this match.

• Like 4