DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is JUSTICE FOR THE REVIVAL - 2/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

This is what we should be gnashing our teeth about. Not the promo so much, but how they managed to completely botch a heel turn that was hotter than fish grease on the Fourth of July in just four months.

They went from having a Dean Ambrose who was barely able to contain his seething rage to him breaking at the idea of his friend being gone for who knows how long and snapping on his other friend with whom he has severe trust issues. He could have been the resident anarchist, lurking behind the arena and cutting promos about the world's despair.

But instead we get a slapdash/quasi-comedy heel who said Roman deserved leukemia with and a babyface in Rollins who has no idea what he stands for. First, he's defending Roman against Dean. Then, he's got put Dean down like a mangy dog. Next, it's his boyhood dream to be where he is. And now, he's got to slay Brock and will dance with the Devil to do so. Choose a plan and stick to it for more than two weeks, will ya?

I wouldn't be surprised if they use all this to facilitate a Rollins turn. They've got Triple H sniffing around Rollins a bit, Heyman is in the mix. Rollins is an anomaly to me. His in-ring work screams face, but his overall demeanor suggests heel, but he's only acceptable as a whiny, give him a baby bottle heel. (shrugs) 

This is really great. They flushed Dean’s momentum completely down the toilet, and I’m sure they have no idea why he’s so unhappy. What they see in Seth that they don’t see in Dean, I’ll never understand.

Following up on Charlotte being added to the Triple Threat - 

It's not going to cause less people to watch Mania. If anything there will be a few more casuals who want to see the daughter of Ric Flair as part of the first all female WrestleMania main event.

If/when they run Becky v Rousey 1 v 1 it can be done as the main event of a lesser show (like Backlash or MITB) and draw more interest to that.

Becky winning the title, holding until MITB to defend against Rousey 1 on 1, only to immediately be set upon or stalked by MITB winner Charlotte/Riott/Shayna would be fantastic.

Watched the tag title match and thought it was really good, not great, much less a MOTYC. The crowd was dead for the first half, but they got them going with some great throws from Gable. Thought his performance was the best in the match due to those sick throws and bumping around for the Revival. That Blockbuster into a German Suplex and the Revival catching Gable's dive into the Shatter Machine were particularly stand out great spots. Really good match.

32 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

It's not going to cause less people to watch Mania. If anything there will be a few more casuals who want to see the daughter of Ric Flair as part of the first all female WrestleMania main event

A buddy of mine flat out said that if Charlotte replaces her, then he's cancelling his subscription to the network.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Watched the tag title match and thought it was really good, not great, much less a MOTYC. The crowd was dead for the first half, but they got them going with some great throws from Gable. Thought his performance was the best in the match due to those sick throws and bumping around for the Revival. That Blockbuster into a German Suplex and the Revival catching Gable's dive into the Shatter Machine were particularly stand out great spots. Really good match.

I watched it today based on the buzz it got here. It was a great Raw match, but nothing blowaway. I don't think it was better than any Takeover tag matches with the Undisputed Era, #DIY/Revival, Revival/American Alpha.

• Like 1

Thread delivered.  I mean, there's a damn side conversation about Eminem's Stan song and it's contribution to the American lexicon (yes, "stans" has been a thing for a long time now).  Plus the DVDVR poster battle lines are drawn and defined on the upcoming Becky/Charlotte/Rhonda Wrestlemania debate.

I love it. Reminded me of old green DVDVR. 10 pages plus and all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Thread delivered.  I mean, there's a damn side conversation about Eminem's Stan song and it's contribution to the American lexicon (yes, "stans" has been a thing for a long time now).  Plus the DVDVR poster battle lines are drawn and defined on the upcoming Becky/Charlotte/Rhonda Wrestlemania debate.

I love it. Reminded me of old green DVDVR. 10 pages plus and all.

I typed and deleted two paragraphs drawing parallels between Punk and Becky’s worst attributes. Maybe next time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, what a thread!

Count me in with the group that thinks The Revival is just OK. When I saw them in NXT a few years ago, I was in the aisle and I'd probably say they're 5'7 to 5'8 so even though they're thicker guys I don't really buy then against a lot of main roster teams based on their style. I'm fully aware that in real fights a smaller guy can take out a larger guy.

It took them almost a year but they got Lashley going.

Even with no build, I'm excited for Ruby/Ronda.

Is Nia hurting Becky one of the great "What Ifs" in the last 10 years of wrestling? Because she wasn't going to beat Ronda so it would have been a few weeks of Twitter jabs, a nice match, and then probably the Asuka feud for her til Maina right? Then Charlotte would win the Rumble and face Ronda. I don't mind the triple threat but whatever happens they had to do something because there's almost 2 full months with Fastlane between now and Mania it couldn't just be 2 months of them going back and forth on TV and Twitter saying "I'm the best"

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

Enjoyed the triple threat tag. Dug the general story.

That six-man tag went on way too damn long.

Mean Charly is still around going off of that Becky interview.

Poor Ruby looked terrible the way no one has really given her shot. Even her match was interrupted for a Becky/Ronda faceoff.

Speaking of which, there was actually just a bit too much Becky tonight. There was really no need for that many segments of her questioning to apologize. Also the apology was total bullshit. That made no damn sense and did more to kill the crowd than anything else. Becky's apology should have been immediately followed by her punching HHH and/or Steph in the face. It would have also made way more sense of Vince coming out to replace Becky with Charlotte.

At this point I'm still not convinced we are getting a triple threat. WM is still two months away and there is one more ppv before then to sell. Feels like the obvious place to do Charlotte vs. Becky for the spot. While I do think a triple threat has always been in serious consideration at this point it feels more like they are playing with fans expectations the way they have kept Charlotte involved.

Revival vs. Roode/Gable was fantastic and an easy MOTYC that will only lose ground so quickly in the next couple of months because it didn't have the good build and hot audience it so well deserved.

I have always felt that aside from rumors of Ronda leaving post WM, they should totally go for a WM 13 style finish. That way they could do a big money rematch for the next women's ppv.

You want Becky to bleed like a pig?

The thing that really bugged me was Becky sheepishly apologizing only for Vince to come out and piss in her Cornflakes anyways. People in this thread seem far less bothered by it than Charlotte being added to the WrestleMania main event but there's no denying how deflated the crowd instantly was after Becky's lame ass acquiescence. Maybe they'll go the WM XXX route and have Becky have to beat Steph in order to be inserted into the main event. Or even Becky and the partner of her choice has to defeat Triple H & Stephanie in a tag team match. Now nobody's itching for such a match to eat up a precious slot at WrestleMania (especially when it means someone like Asuka gets bumped to the pre-show) but as of now what else are the Helmsleys going to do on the show? Authority rubbing their noses into matters has to result in something and after Becky beats the shit out of Vince with a chair, Steph will want to get payback for big dollar daddy dementia VKM.  

7 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

The thing that really bugged me was Becky sheepishly apologizing only for Vince to come out and piss in her Cornflakes anyways. People in this thread seem far less bothered by it than Charlotte being added to the WrestleMania main event but there's no denying how deflated the crowd instantly was after Becky's acquiescence. Maybe they'll go the WM XXX route and have Becky have to beat Steph in order to be inserted into the main event. Or even Becky and the partner of her choice has to defeat Triple H & Stephanie in a tag team match. Now nobody's itching for such a match to eat up a precious slot at WrestleMania (especially when it means someone like Asuka gets bumped to the pre-show) but as now what else are the Helmsleys going to do on the show? Authority rubbing their noses into matters has to result in something and after Becky beats the shit out of Vince with a chair, Steph will want to get payback for big dollar daddy dementia VKM.  

Like I said earlier this was way worse than making people think Charlotte has replaced Becky int he match or that the match will be a triple threat. That totally needed Becky beating the shit out of Steph again after apologizing.

If Batista actually signs on for one more match it will be against HHH.

34 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You want Becky to bleed like a pig?

Becky going out bloody like Austin would make her the biggest badass in the company. That wish was only if Ronda was staying. If she isn't or is taking a long break then Becky totally needs to win. Really it probably needs to happen anyways at this point since it seems like anything less than a Becky victory will seemingly piss them off the wrong way.

23 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

The thing that really bugged me was Becky sheepishly apologizing only for Vince to come out and piss in her Cornflakes anyways. People in this thread seem far less bothered by it than Charlotte being added to the WrestleMania main event but there's no denying how deflated the crowd instantly was after Becky's lame ass acquiescence. Maybe they'll go the WM XXX route and have Becky have to beat Steph in order to be inserted into the main event. Or even Becky and the partner of her choice has to defeat Triple H & Stephanie in a tag team match. Now nobody's itching for such a match to eat up a precious slot at WrestleMania (especially when it means someone like Asuka gets bumped to the pre-show) but as of now what else are the Helmsleys going to do on the show? Authority rubbing their noses into matters has to result in something and after Becky beats the shit out of Vince with a chair, Steph will want to get payback for big dollar daddy dementia VKM.  

That was really bad. Thinking back to all the wrestlers who fought with the McMahons--Austin, Rock, Cena, Orton, Bryan, Reigns--none of them ever said sorry for anything they did to that family. I would hope gender played no part in having Becky apologize. Triple H threw in some weak line about being a role model for young girls. No matter the reason, there was no point for that.

Can't lie, though: Vince going into 'get off my lawn, your apology means nothing to me!' mode was hilarious.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

That was really bad. Thinking back to all the wrestlers who fought with the McMahons--Austin, Rock, Cena, Orton, Bryan, Reigns--none of them ever said sorry for anything they did to that family. I would hope gender played no part in having Becky apologize. Triple H threw in some weak line about being a role model for young girls. No matter the reason, there was no point for that.

Can't lie, though: Vince going into 'get off my lawn, your apology means nothing to me!' mode was hilarious.

I didn't even consider it through the prism of gender but that is pretty damning. I guess you could write it off as them throwing things together as haphazardly as they always do and Vince needing to look like the biggest dickhead possible by sharing that little piece of news only after Becky had already apologized. As far as overbooking things goes, another crazy possibility crept into my head. Ronda is actually Becky's tag team partner in a match against Triple H and Stephanie to win Becky's participation in the main event. It would actually fit in with the awkward build to Ronda/Becky so far where Ronda wants to give the fans the match they want instead of wanting a piece of Becky's ass, which if that was the case, she has even more incentive to get back at Charlotte since that was quite the thrashing at Survivor Series. I know pushing both of them off the ladder at TLC was supposed to be Ronda's receipt but it didn't seem like nearly enough. Becky and Triple H would barely need to interact but Ronda kicking his ass is something they teased at last year's WrestleMania. 

The major piece of overbooking would actually come in the form of Ronda getting injured during or after the tag match which would leave the door open for her to claim she was wounded (if she does eat the fall in a triple threat match) upon her eventual return, even if that is 15 or 18 months after WrestleMania. Of course, if Steph is content to simply be a cornerman or even special referee at WrestleMania, Nia being her proxy in the same "win and you're in (the main event)" scenario for Becky is much simpler.   

If you've read Ronda Rousey's autobiography (my local library had a copy) you'd know her main life issues are: Born with her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and brain damaged due to lack of oxygen, didn't speak until age 4, father suffered a severe and degenerative back injury and eventually killed himself, won Olympic bronze medal young and didn't know what to do with her life, MMA trainer refused to teach her anything because he was a dickhead, UFC debut announcement repeatedly postponed so everyone thought she was shagging Dana White, went out with notorious idiot Brendan Schaub, then dumped him to go out with Travis Browne instead even though he was already married with kids at the time, all of her friends got released from the UFC for not winning enough, lost to Holly Holm and spent a whole year crying in bed about it, lost to Amanda Nunes, joined WWE, gets lots of shit for being transphobic amongst other things.

• Like 2

I think the idea with the apology was that it was obvious that it was disingenuous, and she went straight into 'and now that that nonsense is out of the way...'. Like she was saying "I'll say the words you want me to say because it gets me what I want, but I don't mean it and I'm going to make it clear that I don't mean it". I don't think it was good or anything, but it's not like it was presented in any way as a sincere apology. She should have just said something like "I'm sorry. Sorry I didn't hit you two dopes harder last week". I mean, since they were suspending her anyway. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AxB said:

If you've read Ronda Rousey's autobiography (my local library had a copy) you'd know her main life issues are: Born with her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and brain damaged due to lack of oxygen, didn't speak until age 4, father suffered a severe and degenerative back injury and eventually killed himself, won Olympic bronze medal young and didn't know what to do with her life, MMA trainer refused to teach her anything because he was a dickhead, UFC debut announcement repeatedly postponed so everyone thought she was shagging Dana White, went out with notorious idiot Brendan Schaub, then dumped him to go out with Travis Browne instead even though he was already married with kids at the time, all of her friends got released from the UFC for not winning enough, lost to Holly Holm and spent a whole year crying in bed about it, lost to Amanda Nunes, joined WWE, gets lots of shit for being transphobic amongst other things.

Other than that, mrs Lincoln, how was the play? 

• Haha 6

Oh, also she never mentions Roddy Piper at all in the book. She was a Hogan fan growing up, not Piper. When she was on Roddy's podcast (one of the last ones he did before he died... she was talking about her upcoming fight with Bethe Corriea, and when she beat Bethe she dedicated the win to Roddy's memory) she did mention that when people gave her the Rowdy name she wanted to get his blessing before using it, which he was happy to give. But it's not in the book.

Her original entrance music was "Sex and Violence" by The Exploited. But they said she couldn't use it anymore because of the lyrical content.