DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is JUSTICE FOR THE REVIVAL - 2/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I love all of this anti-Charlotte hate so much. It's exactly the reaction Vince and those dreaded, pesky writers want. Like... she's the heel. Vince is a heel. The reactions are perfect. 

And she fits organically into the story. She always has. Becky's rise was because of her frayed relationship with Charlotte. Bex got hurt. She gave Charlotte her blessing in going after Ronda. Charlotte and Ronda were at a standstill until Charlotte remembered she's the heiress of The Dirtiest Player In The Game and beat the crap out of her. 

And why are people dismissing Charlotte blatantly ignoring that she's the best worker of the three? Ronda's been really friggin' good. Becky's world class. But I can only really think of two woman's matches -- Sasha vs. Bayley I an II -- that was better than anything Charlotte has been in. And Charlotte has been in great matches against all sorts of people in all sorts of different roles and in every gimmick. We just had a pretty incredible Charlotte/Becky/Asuka triple threat match a few months ago. You know they're going to bring out all sorts of that stuff. 

The whole story, though, is Becky's. The plot revolves around her and the machinations around keeping her away from what she's clawed for. We have a hero. We have an irresistible force on Ronda -- a game competitor that just wants to defend her title in a great match, albeit on a huge stage and for a lot of money. And now we have the pompous brat heel. 

But what I would truly love is if Asuka just came out on Smackdown and kicked someone in the face and made this a four-way. 

• Like 1

There's a lot to unpack, but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves as to the fans any of these women are bringing in. Raw is losing female viewers in droves, despite Becky/Ronda/Charlotte being the hottest angle in the company. 

@RIShaneis right on so many wanting Becky to run roughshod on Ronda for the next two months, then win the belt at WM in a squash. That serves no good purpose and doesn't get Becky over to where her fans want her to be.

Charlotte isn't being shoehorned in. She was always going to be in a WM match with Ronda. The adjustment was to include Becky once she got hot. WWE's thinking is likely that if they're trying to make one star in connection to Ronda, go for two. Because TBH, it's not clear when the women will headline WM in the near future. Get Becky and Charlotte in there now and along with Roman, they'll have three NXT-associated stars who can main event the biggest PPVs.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Listening to WOR now and either Dave or Bryan just said something about Seth's promo which I didn't think of. It was in regard to Seth's line about selling his soul to the devil if it mean Brock wouldn't hold the title hostage anymore and Dave or Bryan's prediction was that Heyman was going to turn on Brock at WM.

At first I thought, nah, but I could see creative being dumb enough to do it.

I feel like we've been predicting for the last few Manias that Heyman is going to turn on Brock. Granted, most of those have dealt with Roman Reigns.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Based on the central character in the Eminem song of the same name, a "stan" is an overzealous maniacal fan for any celebrity or athlete.

Which is literally redundant, considering "fan" is already short for "fanatic."

10 hours ago, L_W_P said:

People hates HBK getting in on Benoit’s match at Mania XX but it just made things more complex & compelling.

Not at all?

9 hours ago, username said:

She'll drop the belt at Mania and likely take the fall and the crowd will be into it and people will forget about it in several years when another Mania main event ends up as a 3 way dance that doesn't ruin the moment in the least.

You mean like how we forgot about the mishandled triple-threat "crowning moments" that we've been discussing in this thread?

6 hours ago, El Dragon said:

So is this entire thing being done just because Rousey is uncomfortable being booed (Which, good god, toughen up a little there. You wanted to be a wrestler, it’s part of the gig), or is it just because WWE had this set as a Triple Threat because reasons? Do we have it set in stone either way? Or is this just WWE taking a simple can’t miss straight line build and over complicating it for no reason?

I don't think this "Ronda is uncomfortable" talking point has anything to do with the booking - it's just speculation.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Becky Lynch does not need that belt to be over.  She will be just as over as a face chasing a title as she will be as a face champion.  

Ronda is not facing worked adversity.  She's facing legit animosity and she's not handling it well.

Charlotte's in there to help take the pressure off of Ronda so that maybe she can go out there and work a match without blowing a spot.

1. The WWE's past is littered with would've-been main eventers that never received their crowning moment and lost a large portion of their momentum when they didn't "win the big one." To act like this somehow couldn't happen to Becky seems willfully short-sighted.
2. Ronda has been doing fine as a worker and the only match I've seen of hers with a significant amount of blown spots was against you-know-who at the Rumble, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

People hate Shawn's spots in that match because they did not want Shawn to win.

Counterpoint: People hate Shawn's spots in that match because post-1998 Shawn is terrible outside of the couple of Wrestlemania matches that he elected to give a shit.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

How long was Sting considered to be the Franchise for WCW before they finally put the World Title on him?  Fucking years, man.

His first NWA title in 1990, first WCW in 1992. Debuted in what, 87? That isn't that long, and storyline timelines in wrestling are sped way, way up from where they were at in that era, so not a fitting comparison really.

Also "Jarrett never dropped the title when he should have and Impact is doing just fine" had me HOWLING, like WHAT, dude?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, EVA said:

Where is this Ronda doesn’t like getting booed talking point coming from, exactly? First I’ve heard of it.

It has been a talking point from a lot of observers (and not just people on this board) about how if the crowd starts to boo her she gets all flustered and angry

I definitely remember Meltzer and Alvarez talking about it a couple of weeks ago (I think it was after the first Becky/Ronda segment post Rumble)

Just now, EVA said:

Where is this Ronda doesn’t like getting booed talking point coming from, exactly? First I’ve heard of it.

Until JT said something about it the only other person I heard mention it was Meltzer. There was also the moment a couple weeks ago when Ronda got all flustered because she was being booed, got on the mic, and stumbled over all of her words trying to say "you're all here booing me while I'm busting my ass" as if to say the people in the audience shouldn't be booing her. With Cena and Roman they just smile and laugh that shit off. Ronda went on a live mic and fucked up a bunch of words trying to get a simple phrase out.

• Like 2

Here we go - just so you don't think I am making it up

This was from the WON (and talked about on the radio show)

Ronda Promo/ Bayley match/ Becky promo. Ronda came out, trying to do a babyface promo, but the fans booed the hell out of her, to the point that the boos got to her and she got lost. When Ronda was in UFC, it's not that she was booed, but she got destroyed by social media, and that wasn't even an everyday thing, but she and Baszler and all of the grew to dislike a lot of MMA fans; when she came in to wrestling, she loved the fans, it was a weekly affirmation of the fan support, but now these reactions happen, and we know Becky Lynch is the biggest star, so Ronda is the heel. Even with people backstage cheering her up, like Paul Heyman, I don't think she takes well to fan reactions like these, and you could see it in her face that she wasn't happy with the fans for making her lose her train of thought.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

Well she definitely didn't handle the crowd reaction to Charlotte destroying her with a cane that well until the next night.   But that was her first time I think.

Seeing Ronda react to the boos makes me think of how well Roman and Cena handled it. Roman's "this is my yard now" after however many minutes of booing and every time Cena would joke with the crowd about turning heel were good ways of showing "this shit ain't going to bother me."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Seeing Ronda react to the boos makes me think of how well Roman and Cena handled it. Roman's "this is my yard now" after however many minutes of booing and every time Cena would joke with the crowd about turning heel were good ways of showing "this shit ain't going to bother me."

Roman did fine there, but he’s been iffy before, and after. Most of the times they don’t even put him out there with a live mic. Cena though is phenomenal at doing that kind of work. The WWE should still be turning these guys. That shit got old, and the same Cena tactics weren’t working  with Roman. The fan erosion got worse with that tactic.

Ronda not liking being booed is certainly something I can believe, and the evidence seems to point to that being the case, but this idea that she's going to get so distracted by being booed that she'll accidentally break Becky's arm or something is one of the more ludicrous things I've read in this thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I remember monster heel Brock Lesnar using the Three Amigos on Cena in the middle of destroying him at Summerslam and getting a huge “Eddie!” chant. *shrug*

I think the argument in this case was that since one of the stories that they always tell with Sasha is how inspired she was by Eddie so Ronda doing it was openly taunting her

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whether it’s Becky/Ronda or a triple threat, they’re currently promoting the main event of Wrestlemania by saying it’s NOT happening, which is, yknow, pretty backwards.

Tag title match ruled. I’d like to see an unedited version or a PPV rematch, maybe a 2/3 falls. Revival are great at positioning everyone in their matches so things make sense and it’s that kind of internal logic that is truly lacking sometimes. I listened to yesterday’s 83 Weeks while watching and Bischoff talked about how tags needed to be more than singles wrestlers occasionally slapping hands, they needed real teamwork. Both of these teams have that teamwork. Great stuff.

7 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Hey we have a chance to have Hart vs. Michaels in a 60 minute match the entire card is built around, know what we should do? Throw big ol Diesel out there. 

You mean you've found a way to avoid putting Shawn in a 60 minute match? Praise be!

4 hours ago, Casey said:

For all the talk of Becky Lynch marks on this board, this thread attracted all the Charlotte stans to come out of the woodwork. I guess in Roman’s absence, we need about 15 people to defend the WWE’s choice of who we should like instead of our actual favorites.

Why do I get the sense that you see any fandom you disapprove of as invalid?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Tully 5'10"

Arn 6'1"

Dawson 5'10"

Wilder 5'10"

So going by worked heights - Arn is compared to everyone else I guess

It doesn’t really matter grand scheme, but neither of those guys is close to 5’10. If they’re 5’10 I’m 6’5. Spoiler: I’m not 6’5. 

I just don’t jive with the notion that because two guys say they’re a great tag team, that it makes them a great tag team. They had great matches in nXt when they could practice them. Like everyone else. They’re the Good Brothers except they aren’t tall enough to ride the Batman coaster. And not the good Bullet Club Good Brothers. The “times new Roman” good brothers we currently see.

becky will be fine in terms of her overocity. I am anxious to see how WWE Schrutes this up, though....

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It has been a talking point from a lot of observers (and not just people on this board) about how if the crowd starts to boo her she gets all flustered and angry

I definitely remember Meltzer and Alvarez talking about it a couple of weeks ago (I think it was after the first Becky/Ronda segment post Rumble)

If there is a talking point that Ronda hates being booed like this, though, this is still something to be worried about and clearly won't end well.

If Ronda can't deal with being a heel for Becky/Ronda, or even the triple threat...this is not going to end well when we inevitably get the Horsewomen/Horsewomen feud,  and this putting us in the realistic opportunity of "Becky, Sasha, and Bayley all turn heel even though they're faces and no one wants to boo them...and Shayna Baszler, Jessamyn Duke, and Marina Shafir all turn face, even though they've proven to be competent heels in NXT and no one particularly wants to cheer them...all so Ronda Rousey doesn't get booed."

If Ronda thinks a little bit of fans resenting her for fighting their favorite now is bad- what'll it be like when the WWE turns SIX WOMEN from their natural disposition, just to prop up Ronda Rousey?