DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is JUSTICE FOR THE REVIVAL - 2/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

Yeah - I don’t get the Charlotte hate. She’s been killing it all year, has a fantastic real life story that will be all over the New York and national media and her being in the match takes some of the pressure off Rousey to deliver and guarantees the match will work (albeit it’ll be tropey.)

I mean, I get the push back against a three-way in general but the idea that Charlottle is ruining the main event just seems like hyperboleLike, it feels like copy and pasted Roman Reigns complaints from last year.

It's not that Charlotte is ruining the main event, it's that the main event with Ronda and Becky was perfect AS IS. It didn't need anything else. It didn't need Charlotte. It didn't need the McMahons. It needed two women who wanted to beat each other's ass to prove which is the best. That's the type of shit that works.

I'm completely confident the match will be fine, but WWE once again takes the ball, has the easiest layup they could make, and they instead dropkick the ball into the fucking crowd because fuck you and fuck everyone else, it's Vince's show and he'll do whatever he wants.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Craig H said:

It's not that Charlotte is ruining the main event, it's that the main event with Ronda and Becky was perfect AS IS. It didn't need anything else. It didn't need Charlotte. It didn't need the McMahons. It needed two women who wanted to beat each other's ass to prove which is the best. That's the type of shit that works.

I'm completely confident the match will be fine, but WWE once again takes the ball, has the easiest layup they could make, and they instead dropkick the ball into the fucking crowd because fuck you and fuck everyone else, it's Vince's show and he'll do whatever he wants.

It’s the new “You don’t want CM Punk, you want Sheamus.”

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Eh, the problem with Triple Threats is that the advantage goes to the champ and that's not necessarily a good thing.  Becky and Charlotte are the better workers in that field, so Ronda is going to get carried which doesn't exactly strike me as a booking decision made with faith in Ronda's skills.

WM is the send the fans hope happy event, so I'm pretty confident that Becky will exit the PPV as champ.  Its just a matter of either booking the Triple Threat or using the 60 days to build up an angle where Becky and Charlotte wrestle for the Title slot.

I would probably book the latter as Charlotte can pull heel heat out of nowhere and she's got a lot of time to get folks to absolutely loathe her during the run-up.

I think this angle is overbooked, but not as much as it would seem.  By the time Charlotte works people into an absolute froth of madness and Becky bullies her way into the title match, fans will be seething when the match finally happens.

The match will only suck if the wrong person is booked to finish.  Becky doesn't need the title to be over, but a win for her would be the best blow-off for that angle.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Why am I so rarely happy after Wrestlemania?

Traditionally when we were blissfully unaware of Hogan's doucheyness, it was the send 'em home happy event. 

Then the Triple H years descended upon us like a long and ominous shadow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Eh, the problem with Triple Threats is that the advantage goes to the champ and that's not necessarily a good thing.  Becky and Charlotte are the better workers in that field, so Ronda is going to get carried which doesn't exactly strike me as a booking decision made with faith in Ronda's skills.

The match will only suck if the wrong person goes over.  Becky doesn't need the title to be over, but a win would be the best blow-off for that angle.  

WM is the send the fans hope happy event, so I'm pretty confident that Becky will exit the PPV as champ.  Its just a matter of either booking the Triple Threat or using the 60 days to build up an angle where Becky and Charlotte wrestle for the Title slot.

I would probably book the latter as Charlotte can pull heel heat out of nowhere and she's got a lot of time to get folks to absolutely loathe her during the run-up.

I think this angle is overbooked, but not as much as it would seem.  By the time Charlotte works people into an absolute froth of madness and Becky bullies her way into the title match, fans will be absolutely seething when the match finally happens.

The bigger problem is just how much they gutted Becky's character. Fucking apologizing without any sort of a payback or receipt? I just re-watched that segment again and you can hear the air get sucked out of the arena.

People want to watch someone beat the shit out of their boss because it's the one thing none of us can do. Most of us have to eat shit on a daily basis at work and do what we're told or miss out on a promotion because of whatever or get laid off or fired for dumb reasons and we can't do shit. Wrestling is the one outlet where it can provide the type of escape so many people want to see and apparently Vince believes we all just really want to see wrestlers in WWE behave just like how we would in our own jobs.

Then you add Charlotte in on top of it and that's the overbooking I'm speaking to. It's unnecessary and it kills the product.

• Like 4

Them cutting and going to Elias three times was all worth it for that El Kabong. At least we know what Jarrett is up to backstage. But for a minute I thought Kalisto was going to bust out his best Roy Clark impersonation and play Malagueña.

I should be mad that they are fucking up this Becky/Ronda thing. But when Becky beats the shit out of Ric Flair at his own birthday party that is going to be some amazing stuff.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

She is a really good heel. They've at least finally embraced that.

This would be the first time in a while where smarks would be justified busting out the “the heel is really the face and here’s why!” act.

Charlotte’s the best. The Revival is the best. This Raw had positive developments. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Charlotte rules. The match is going to rule. Becky's going to win.

Let me explain something to you.  Becky has already defeated Charlotte. Many,  many times.  Another win over her does nothing.  Now,  if Becky hands Ronda her first loss in singles competition that is something..   but if you are going to do that finish then why not have it be one on one in the first place?  

All this talk about the wrestling "bubble"..   Yes,  you're right but you are wrong about Charlotte.  She is not a bigger name than Becky. Someone will shit on me for this but look at their instagram followers. ?     

Charlotte isn't "needed" for this and just keeping with kayfabe,   it makes zero sense also.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The bigger problem is just how much they gutted Becky's character. Fucking apologizing without any sort of a payback or receipt? I just re-watched that segment again and you can hear the air get sucked out of the arena.

You have seen enough Sting vs. Flair in your lifetime to know that Becky will most likely be in that main event.

My worry is that Vince is carny AF and likes to work the marks, so negative sentiment is just going to inspire him to run with this adversity angle for as long as he can because it obviously pisses fans the fuck off.

Vince prides himself in giving fans what they want, but not the way they want to get it.

• Like 1

It struck me watching the end of Raw unfold that Charlotte is basically added in to ideally function as an actual heat magnet, and I can follow the logic. I think any thoughts that WWE are bothered by Becky being incredibly popular are misplaced, but her being popular in a way that damages the popularity of the people they match her up against is something they are definitely concerned with. While I think they could live with Rousey being booed at Mania I don't think they want her to be ruined as a face going forward because of this... and this is exactly where Charlotte enters.

They seem to be laying this out that both Becky and Rousey feel like this is BS, which ideally lets the crowd love Becky and hopefully results in them hating Charlotte more than Rousey.  Will it work?  That I can't say and there are so many ways things can be screwed up but I can't argue against the logic in trying to protect Rousey in this way. She'll drop the belt at Mania and likely take the fall and the crowd will be into it and people will forget about it in several years when another Mania main event ends up as a 3 way dance that doesn't ruin the moment in the least.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hagan said:

it feels like copy and pasted Roman Reigns complaints from last year.

Ehh the difference is deep down everyone realizes Roman should probably be THE guy. The booking sucked but he always got a big reaction and he always sold a ton of merch.  That is not Charlotte Flair.  There is zero evidence to point to that says she is a bigger star than 4-5 other women on the roster. She has a name and the office tries but she has never shown she's bigger than the collective. Becky is more over now than Charlotte has ever been,  that isn't hyperbole. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ehh the difference is deep down everyone realizes Roman should probably be THE guy. The booking sucked but he always got a big reaction and he always sold a ton of merch.  That is not Charlotte Flair.  There is zero evidence to point to that says she is a bigger star than 4-5 other women on the roster. She has a name and the office tries but she has never shown she's bigger than the collective. Becky is more over now than Charlotte has ever been,  that isn't hyperbole. 

All of this plus if you want Charlotte to be the top person the Smackdown title is right there and Asuka/Charlotte II writes itself.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Charlotte isn't "needed" for this and just keeping with kayfabe,   it makes zero sense also.  

It actually makes perfect sense.

1. Charlotte being in the match pulls X-Pac heat away from Ronda Rousey.  People are now kayfabe hating on Charlotte and the Authority rather than hating on Ronda.

2. if Becky wins by pinning Charlotte when Charlotte is trying to pin Rousey, Becky avenges her screwjob loss by beating Charlotte via screwjob.  Also Ronda loses without being pinned or subbed.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Yeah - I don’t get the Charlotte hate. She’s been killing it all year, has a fantastic real life story that will be all over the New York and national media and her being in the match takes some of the pressure off Rousey to deliver and guarantees the match will work (albeit it’ll be tropey.)

I mean, I get the push back against a three-way in general but the idea that Charlottle is ruining the main event just seems like hyperboleLike, it feels like copy and pasted Roman Reigns complaints from last year.

It works really well on a few levels. Ronda's been having trouble with getting rattled by hostile crowds, so now they have Charlotte as a heat magnet, which will help the feud keep up its energy over the next two months.  Even in addition to her talent in ring and on the mic (and she's going to be going all out to get fans even more behind Becky), she does a heap of promotional work for the company and this will help the Mania build further. 

I was going to say the episode was lacking besides that great Revival match, but man, that was a perfect swerve ending. Obnoxious Wrestlemania Main-Eventer Charlotte is going to rule.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It actually makes perfect sense.

1. Charlotte being in the match pulls X-Pac heat away from Ronda Rousey.  People are now kayfabe hating on Charlotte and the Authority rather than hating on Ronda.

2. if Becky wins by pinning Charlotte when Charlotte is trying to pin Rousey, Becky avenges her screwjob loss by beating Charlotte via screwjob.  Also Ronda loses without being pinned or subbed.

What? Why do we want Ronda protected?  For what purpose?  Streaks are built up to eventually put someone over. If Ronda is going to be a part time performer then why WOULDN'T you want to put Becky over her?   Becky has already defeated Charlotte many times. All a win over Charlotte does is put the story right back to where it was six months ago..  

Defeating Ronda ADVANCES the story..  Now Ronda has suffered her first defeat and THE MAN is the new BADDEST WO-MAN on the planet.  

That sets up Becky as the top face moving forward. That sets up Ronda as facing adversity for the first time,  how will she react to it.  

What your story does is keep the hamster on the wheel.  

• Like 1