DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

KSW probably didn't want Askham and Kolecki winning the main and co-main over Khalidov and Janikowski respectively. Parnasse looked scintillating as per the usual with him. Lightning quick strikes, brilliant feints and footwork to boot. Prelim saw a dude get stretchered out after Maciej Kazieczko landed a flush hook.

Ref saved a dude right there. Well, whatever was left.

Khalidov's striking and transitions looked good even if he was on his back for the majority of the fight. That was surprising. I only caught his last couple of fights before his retirement but always had heard his name as something special prior to that. Hopefully he can turn it around. Certainly didn't look bad but I would've liked to see him be a little more aggressive in sweeping or getting back to his feet. Looked pretty tired relatively early and it was only a three rounder.

They are back with KSW 53 on March 21st in Lodz. Pudzianowski, Soldic, and Bedorf are scheduled to fight on the card so far.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Apparently UFC's move to just have PPVs on ESPN+ is really screwing over the fighters, in terms of their negotiating position with the company. Because Dave the Meltz had people in the traditional PPV providers who would leak him buyrates, which he'd release and would then go around the world and let Conor McGregor boast about et cetera. But Meltz doesn't have any sources in ESPN, so he's not getting numbers, so nobody else is either. Meaning, if you're Israel Adensanya, you aren't in a position to demand twice as much money as Colby Covington on the basis on being twice the PPV draw that he is, because nobody actually knows if they're really a draw or not.

They could totally screw talent out of their PPV bonuses if they wanted. Sell a million and tell the headliner it was Five hundred thousand, how will they know it's a lie?

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently UFC's move to just have PPVs on ESPN+ is really screwing over the fighters, in terms of their negotiating position with the company. Because Dave the Meltz had people in the traditional PPV providers who would leak him buyrates, which he'd release and would then go around the world and let Conor McGregor boast about et cetera. But Meltz doesn't have any sources in ESPN, so he's not getting numbers, so nobody else is either. Meaning, if you're Israel Adensanya, you aren't in a position to demand twice as much money as Colby Covington on the basis on being twice the PPV draw that he is, because nobody actually knows if they're really a draw or not.

They could totally screw talent out of their PPV bonuses if they wanted. Sell a million and tell the headliner it was Five hundred thousand, how will they know it's a lie?

With the class action lawsuit going on, I think that would be last thing they would do. Plus, I don't think Dave always had the exact number buys but a ballpark figure like Iole and other guys who cover boxing and MMA do. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

At the same time, if they heard about how the WWE Network meant wrestlers weren't getting PPV bonuses any more, a lot of corporate types  would immediately think "How can we best do something like that?"

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

At the same time, if they heard about how the WWE Network meant wrestlers weren't getting PPV bonuses any more, a lot of corporate types  would immediately think "How can we best do something like that?"

I dunno if I posted the story from the Sports Business Journal, but everyone is frustrated they can't get the exact numbers (specifically the investors and advertisers). Take the past weekend for example. Of course DAZN would put out that they got 200,000 new subscribers for the Ruiz vs. Joshua rematch and their current # of subscribers they have as of that fight. Can someone get info on anything else? No. The only people who know their business is DAZN.

My thing is Dave just tweeted that their (UFC) PPV biz is down a few days ago in reply to someone complaining about their dad not knowing how to order PPVs with ESPN+. So he can say the business is down, but he doesn't have the numbers? That doesn't make any sense. I know he is probably basing some of that on the feedback he gets vs. feedback and Google trends correlated to buyrates pre ESPN+, but that doesn't mean shit really.

As for the fighters themselves, I dunno how hard it would be to request their numbers be audited. I remember there was a story regarding something like that (may have been MMAPayout's coverage of the class action lawsuit) and I don't see that as something the UFC could block regarding negotiations. The average roster guy can't do that, but guys like GSP, Jon Jones, and Conor McGregor could. Either they give you the numbers and you go from there, or you sit out and not fight like St-Pierre or McGregor. Matter of fact, that PPV buyrate audit stuff might have been GSP related because that was still during the Dana says GSP doesn't wanna fight and GSP saying he will drop down to 155.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

Quintet Ultra had some really enjoyable moments. Craig Jones and Gordon Ryan did their things. Craig Jones seems like the coolest dude while Gordon Ryan seems to be putting on an act. Both men are undeniable though. Cynthia Calvillo got tapped in 15 seconds by Danielle Kelly, a prodigy who could make a lot of money in MMA with her grappling and looks. Bravo was saying she's thinking about it. Gilbert Burns was probably the most impressive guy in the team tournament with Shields also doing some good work.

Sorry, 17 seconds.

This sucks though:

Shields was rolling him for a leglock. 

Edited by Oyaji

Damn, I was hoping Cub just tweaked his knee and didn't do any real damage. I would have rather seen a few more grapplers in the actual tournament like if they had given each team a ringer. Thought the show was fine for what it was though.

I mentioned my bandwidth issues / problem with Fight Pass in the UFC 245 thread but I had to skip through large portions of this show because I didn't have the option to lower the VQ anymore. I hope this is something that gets changed or I might need to finally cancel my subscription. Burns went super easy on Saku though, didn't he? I skipped through the bout in 2-3 minute intervals but it looked like he gave him a gift there knowing his team was still winning.

Pretty much from what I gathered. I didn't watch every second of every match more due to time than bandwidth but that was my takeaway. Saku was very defensive. Burns, Shields and Gregor Gracie looked a couple of steps ahead of everybody else. Melendez is very good of course too.

You're right though. I would've loved to see guys like Jones, Ryan, and Felipe Pena as ringers. I think I missed one of the Quintet shows but the first one was my favourite. May have been because it was a new concept and I hadn't watched much BJJ prior to that. 

• Like 1

Veta Arteaga is probably the first female fighter or female wrestler that I've seen that has the Mexican luchador/Abdullah the Butcher scarred up forehead. She has so much scar tissue on her forehead, and it got opened up big time against Alejandra Lara in the final round of their fight tonight. I know the UFC hooks people up with cosmetic surgeons anytime they suffer a nasty facial injury (probably why Overeem looks pretty decent now after what happened in the Rozenstruik fight). Can someone please forward Veta the number of someone who can help her out?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Alejandra Lara looked amazing in that fight. I agree with Elsal Bellator needs to fix Veta up with a plastic surgeon cause she does now have that Abdullah or D Von Head. 

All somebody has to do is throw elbows and it's over. Just a crimson mask.

Fighting is so goddamn brutal because those gashes are worse than when the referees use to blade the women in AJW, ARSION, etc. and on numerous occasions, cut them too deep (ex. Hokuto against Kandori and Ayako Hamada in a tag match vs. LCO back in the day). Unless she gets surgery, that's always going to be there.

Rico/Badr II was the most Rico/Badr thing yet! Fucking tremendous while it lasted, with Badr putting Verhoeven down on the canvas twice but then he was trying some flashy kicks, including the Leko buster and in doing so hurt himself to the point he couldn't stand up and was counted out. Then a storm of profanity and eventually tears. Surreal shit after how the first one went down. I hope Badr can heal up because that fight was unbelievably great up to that point and he had Rico stunned badly.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Ooooh yes! On the Bellator Japan show we are blessed with Andy Nguyen vs. voice actress and sometimes pro wrestler Ai Shimizu. 

Hamasaki/Ham is now the main event of the Rizin show. Glad to see Mai Girl Miyuu is back in action and in there with a Thai fighter (?), so hopefully she can get the takedown and go from there. Rizin shows without Kyoji aren't half as much fun or exciting though.

AJ McKee looked great again and seemed to be the only thing worthwhile on either of the Bellator shows from what little I saw. Woof, those two cards. 

Goiti Yamauchi caught Cruikshank with a RNC, put him out, and then Cruikshank did one of those suddenly awake but still defensive things. Really nice set-up from Yamauchi to get the takedown while mounting Cruikshank's back. Brother pushed off the cage to throw off Cruikshank's balance. 

So the list of every MMA fighter to have fought in both Saitama Super Arena and MSG is just Fedor, Vanderlei Silva, and Lorenz Larkin?

45 minutes ago, AxB said:

So the list of every MMA fighter to have fought in both Saitama Super Arena and MSG is just Fedor, Vanderlei Silva, and Lorenz Larkin?

Yeah, I'm certain that's not accurate because Eddie Alvarez fought in Dream and main evented the first UFC card at MSG and Miesha Tate had that terrible fight with Rin Nakai at SSA and her final fight was on the UFC 205 card.

Kyoji Horiguchi fought Darrion Caldwell at both SSA for NYE and at MSG in Bellator. I'm pretty sure there are others out there as well if you dig hard enough.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Fair enough. But still, there haven't been that many MSG MMA shows, and UFC (which has run most of them) doesn't like to run Japan very often.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Fair enough. But still, there haven't been that many MSG MMA shows, and UFC (which has run most of them) doesn't like to run Japan very often.

I don't think it's going to be a really illustrious list because the combo of PFL running the Hulu Theater (fka the Felt Forum and the Theater at Madison Square Garden) every year and Bellator now running MSG owned properties (at same point they will do a card at the Theater just like they currently do at the big room in MSG and the Forum in Inglewood) will have people slip through the cracks. Like the first NYE show at Hulu Theater PFL did before they were PFL and still WSOF had Yushin Okami and Luiz Buscape who are on the list. Liz Carmouche fought Katlyn Chookagian in a fight a lot people likely don't even remember in the first ever UFC fight at the Garden. If she fought at SSA due to the Bellator/Rizin partnership, I don't think people will be running out into the streets in jubilation. It's going to be the lesser names who will get cut from an org and move around a little bit more freely.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

Bellator Japan (main card) aired live on Sky Sports' Freeview channel, so I actually got to watch it, having watched the Tito vs Chuck 30 for 30 earlier that night. Mark Hunt still being good in his mid 40s looks even more impressive now. Rampage looked awful at 265 lbs. Fedor still has his power and hand speed, but his footwork seemed kind of unsteady. He was lucky he was in a legends match with someone who had fallen off harder than he did.

MVP looked good though. He generally does, except when he's fighting a top level guy. Then he looks tentative and inactive.