DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

19 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is why she is in my avatar.

She's taking on my favourite in October in a title eliminator. Rizin's back at it in August with the other Asakura vs. Horiguchi in the main event. I'll be sure to check that one out, as I was not home for this one but it doesn't sound like I missed much.

• Like 1

Tatsumitsu Wada gave a great showing against Demetrious Johnson in defeat, getting DJ's back several times.

Eddie got caught with a nasty left hook right at the start of his fight against Folayang. Then Folayang hit him with a sick leg kick that downed (and seemingly stunned) Alvarez. Folayang tried to finish, got on top but Eddie swept him and then choked him in short order. Fucking Alvarez can't have a boring fight. I don't think I've ever seen anybody react that way to a low kick.

• 3 weeks later...

I slept on that Rizin show and Kyoji Horiguchi fuckin' lost?!

edit: at least Manel Kape picked up a W with a slick short right on Mizugaki. But, KYOJI?!

I saw Frank Trigg was at the UFC show on Saturday and was wondering who they'd have on English commentary... Ben Nguyen sounds like a teenager.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I slept on that Rizin show and Kyoji Horiguchi fuckin' lost?!

edit: at least Manel Kape picked up a W with a slick short right on Mizugaki. But, KYOJI?!

I saw Frank Trigg was at the UFC show on Saturday and was wondering who they'd have on English commentary... Ben Nguyen sounds like a teenager.

Not only did Horiguchi lose, he lost in seconds in a non title match.

Got caught and couldn't recover. That's the one issue with his karate, hands down style is that as fast as he is all it takes is one well timed or lucky shot and it could be over. He was still swangin' and bangin' trying to use heat to escape his situation and it didn't work. I guess we know what the NYE MMA main event will be.

• 3 weeks later...

So somehow running a show in a TV studio instead of an arena makes it possible for Cage Warriors to time out a show properly. None of their usual "Two hour show? Send the main event to the ring One hour and Fifty Eight minutes in!" business.

EDIT: OK, Ben Lakhdar vs McColgan was a fantastic fight. A lot of the show was your standard B-Promotion 'Young fighters who are green, and veterans who are not very good' matches, but then all of a sudden the semi-final is an instant classic. If that's not Match of the Weekend, something really special is happening tomorrow. Also the best post-fight celebration I've seen in some time.

And the commentator said "A little Bit of the Bubbly" during the replays, so I was right about the Jericho meme escaping the wrestling meme reservoir and going mainstream.

EDIT 2: The main event was the final of a one-night 4 man tournament to crown a new 135lb Champion (the semi finals were on the prelims). The person who won looked so impressive in both fights, he might well get called up before he has an opportunity to defend it. Not many Bantamweights with that kind of one punch KO power.

Edited by AxB

Between Campos/Strauss looking like a boring amateur hour sparring session on the mat and the main event ending in a weird apparent thumb to the eye that I couldn't see (saw a thumb up the nose tho), last night sure was a doozy for Bellator. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Between Campos/Strauss looking like a boring amateur hour sparring session on the mat and the main event ending in a weird apparent thumb to the eye that I couldn't see (saw a thumb up the nose tho), last night sure was a doozy for Bellator. 

I like how on WOR last night, Dave Meltzer was mad about the UFC creating this one off BMF title for Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz but not as mad he actually went to a terrible Bellator card headlined by Ryan Bader vs. almost senior citizen Cheick Kongo in 2019. I know he lives near SJ and Coker is homeboy, but I wouldn't care if that show was happening across the street from my home. I wouldn't make the trek.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The first big victim of Anthem's purchase of AXS TV is AXS TV Fights. It has been cancelled. Their last card on the channel is tomorrow.

That sucks. As much as I love Impact, I always enjoyed AXS having MMA in addition to NJPW and WOW.

• Like 1

KSW's next show is on Saturday at the SSE Arena Wembley and features their crown jewel, Roberto Soldic. He was scheduled to face Patrik Kincl but Kincl tore a ligament in his arm this week and is out. So instead of defending his welterweight title, Soldic will fight Michal Pietrzak in a catchweight fight on short notice. Should be an exhibition of Soldic's talent. The man who defeated Mamed Khalidov twice in a row, Tomasz Narkun, is fighting too. Narkun is coming off a loss against Phil De Fries, who is in the main event and defending the heavyweight title.

Olympic bronze medalist in wrestling from 2012 Damian Janikowski is coming off two knock out losses after starting his MMA career with three stoppages of his own. Dricus Du Plessis, who is 1-1 against Soldic and is pretty imposing from what I've seen from him in KSW and EFC, is on the card. NORMAN PARKE too, lol.

Spoiler for Goldfinger almost titties:

Spoiler

I have such fond memories of their December '17 show with Popek Monster vs. the gangster actor on top of seeing Soldic and Salahdine Parnasse (another KSW gem and only 21) for the first time. They have a fan for life in me after that show. I really enjoy their over the top production, freak show fights, and the odd super skilled prospects sprinkled throughout their cards. The PRIDE-esque approach is much appreciated. This card doesn't have the freak show appeal, so hopefully we get some of that in December. Speaking of, I hope they do it closer to Christmas like with that 2017 show compared to last year where they did it on the 1st. 

Khalidov is coming out of retirement for a catchweight fight with Scott Askham at KSW 52 on December 7th. Hell ya.

They are running KSW 51 in Croatia on Nov 9th and it has a freak fight with Mariusz Pudzianowski fighting Erko Jun. Certainly not a layup for one of their biggest draws who is on a losing streak. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, LFA is still doing their show this week off TV to be aired at a later date but they are delaying the next two cards trying to get a broadcast partner. Based on how much stuff Fight Pass already has, I would guess DAZN would be the place that makes the most sense. However, the UFC would benefit the most by having LFA on Fight Pass since it's essentially their biggest feeder promotion.

I just skipped through that bellator card and it looked like an absolute shit card. Boring fights with a bunch of sloppy or timid jabronis. Benson Henderson... I don't think I've ever seen such a skilled fighter so reluctant to do anything. It also featured the dynamic duo of Josh Thomson and Mike Goldberg on commentary. Holy shit. ?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I just skipped through that bellator card and it looked like an absolute shit card. Boring fights with a bunch of sloppy or timid jabronis. Benson Henderson... I don't think I've ever seen such a skilled fighter so reluctant to do anything. It also featured the dynamic duo of Josh Thomson and Mike Goldberg on commentary. Holy shit. ?

It felt weird that they left off the Gallagher and MVP bouts off the Paramount broadcast. They don't have the depth to break their main cards into two.

Did the Dublin card air on DAZN? I can't find it. I didn't even know they split them up. Why would they complicate their shows like that especially, as you said, when they don't have the star power for one good show much less two?

Edited by Oyaji

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Did the Dublin card air on DAZN? I can't find it. I didn't even know they split them up. Why would they complicate their shows like that especially, as you said, when they don't have the star power for one good show much less two?

Apparently, it was on the Bellator app. I think they're separating them out for the Bellator European series or w/e. However, it's not clear to anyone else because I found a website that considers Bellator 227 (the portion headlined by Henderson vs. Jury) as part of that series.

Weber Almeida put a real hurting on Castle Williams on the Bellator prelims. Very quick striking and nice use of karate footwork. Ended with a gorgeous check hook. I'm impressed but I'd like to see him against a little tougher opposition. 

I had no idea Ava Knight was only 31. It feels like I've been watching her box forever, but she's been fairly inactive for the last few years which explains her transition to MMA. Based on the first round of her fight, she's still a novice on the ground but she has learned how to sprawl at least. Also, her opponent threw like 30 Taekwondo style high kicks and missed ALL of them. Ava mercifully ended that fight with a body punch. When Bellator finds terrible women's MMA fighters to feed to people, they don't fuck around. Goddamn.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 1