DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Feeding a top prospect to a guy like Timothy Johnson is the most Bellator of moves in 2020. There is so much risk and no reward for fighting him. The gains from that fight in terms of name value or whatever is next to nothing and not much different than letting him razzle dazzle on some jabroni. It's heaven or hell with these Bellator rookies and their matchmaking. They either get super easy layups or they're put in their with lowkey good-to-very good veterans with no names. 

• Like 1

Man, Fortune was just walking into the clinch and boxing range with his chin up. He was lucky he lasted that long tbh. He's got good, quick, straight punches and obvious top notch wrestling but the defensive fundamentals aren't there. The ability to transition from one tool to another isn't there from what I've seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Feeding a top prospect to a guy like Timothy Johnson is the most Bellator of moves in 2020. There is so much risk and no reward for fighting him. The gains from that fight in terms of name value or whatever is next to nothing and not much different than letting him razzle dazzle on some jabroni. It's heaven or hell with these Bellator rookies and their matchmaking. They either get super easy layups or they're put in their with lowkey good-to-very good veterans with no names. 

I think the issue is they think all UFC washouts are created equal. Zu Anyanwu is six feet tall, still comes in at the HW limit of 265, and probably should have never had a fight in the UFC. That was Tyrell's best opponent before this.

Timothy Johnson, despite being the MMA version of Barry Darsow in terms of hometown and overall look, fought all legit fighters in his UFC run and also in his Bellator run. Even Daniel Omielanczuk who was nothing special and was just in the UFC as the random wide build, barrel chested Eastern European heavyweight was tough to finish at the very least. He hasn't won all his fights against those guys, but he won a decent amount of those fights in the last five years. If they would have given Fortune a solid name in between that level before fighting Johnson and he won decisively, this matchup would have made more sense. Then, you couldn't fault them because it would be the next logical progression.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RIPPA pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing those huge houses they were pulling in when running Singapore, Thailand, and Philippines were low gates and tickets were very inexpensive? And what about TV money? They had that deal with TNT, which I doubt was for a whole lot, and I'm guessing TV rights haven't reached stupid inflated highs even relative to the West? Doesn't sound good.