DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Janet Todd looked awesome on the One FC show, killer head kick KO, loved her entrance. Lee/Xiong main event was great. Amazing german suplex from Lee in the 5th and a hell of a finish in the final seconds of the fight, good stuff.

Crazy nearly all 1st round stoppages on the Rizin show.

Fuck, Lee/Xiong ended in just about the most dramatic fashion. Xiong was seconds away from likely winning a decision until Lee got that choke. Lee's standup is super rudimentary and was teed up whenever they weren't grappling. Showed some great heart to persevere to get that submission. Damn.

DJ, I literally couldn't see his punches at the start of the fight.

• Like 2

My more extended thoughts on the show.

The idea that One didn't just  double-down on the move into Japan is an understatement. They over-booked and went too big for a company that doesn't seem to have a lot of momentum there. Then the typhoon happens and they've put all of those eggs into that basket and they've backed themselves into a corner.. If it had been pretty much any other show, I think we would have seen a delay but they were unlucky and stuck to running an empty house. Much has been already made of their finances, but I have no idea how they gave away two Lee fights, Aung La Nsang/Vera and Fernandes/Bellingon when those fighters represent some of their biggest markets. I'm pretty sure they lose money running anywhere but Singapore, even with the packed houses, so it really doesn't make sense to not try and run there more often. Not to harp on about it too much, but really which Japanese fans were clamoring for any of those fights? As for the show itself :

The Shooto / Pancrase were fun and although a was only familiar with one or two of the fighters, the idea of the two companies running the champion-champion fights was nostalgic/interesting enough to grab my interest.

Aung La Nsang is an absolute star in Myanmar and there was a lot of buzz around his fight. I thought it was dangerous the way he was walking into everything but he broke Vera down and gassed him out with the quickness. I guess the winner of Bigdash / Ataides gets him next.

That GP was an absolute mess. I had Saygid - Tynanes as the final but after getting through the first round unphased people started dropping like flies. Then the fact that Christian Lee stepped in on 8 days notice and rendered the whole thing null by controlling the tournament favourite as well as he did was somehow fitting. Both Lees looked legit yesterday and it will be interesting to see how they develop / how long One lasts and where they go next.

It was nice to see Bibi put the Bellingon rivalry and hopefully we can move on from it. The Janet Todd highlight was great too.

All told, it was a great show but way too long. I watched the whole thing live which meant it ran from 6:30 am here until around 8:00 pm with a 3 hour break between the shows.

Two of my 2019 predictions were at stake here and it really should have been three.

1- One Fc ends 2019 with only two filipino champions across thd men's mma divisions. 

Think it was at 5 or 6 when I made the prediction. Right now sitting at two with Vera and Pacio. We've got Pacio's title on the line next month but he should be able to defend against Catalan. Think I might actually get this one.

2- Eddie Alvarez is eliminated from the One gp before the finals (ie. he loses in the quarters or semis - not by injury ooc).

I'll leave this up to the judges and am fine if it doesn't count. I actually saw Alvarez winning his quarter and then losing to Tynanes. Instead he lost his quartfinal, was brought back into the semi-finals and beat Folayang ( who wasn't even in the tournament), then dropped out by injury.

3- Tenshin either signs with One or competes in a Rizin-One co-promoted event.

If they're going to continue throwing money at Japan, still think this was the move to make. Talked a lot about the Rodtang - Tenshin fight before Rodtang's fight on the show. He might still sign with One, although I still think the co-promotion is the more likely scenario despite neither seeming interested in it.

4- Angela Lee loses in March but wins at least two fights after that before year end.

She lost in March but I thought they'd feed her total softballs and build up to the rematch for 2020.  I did not expect her to lose again against Michelle Niccolini although that was a close fight and I thought Angela did enough to win. Now she goes and avenges the Xiong fight, which was a much bigger test. Meh, should have had this one.

5- McGregor has a fight announced this year but doesn't actually compete because some type of shenanigans. He does not fight this year.

Well, I was right about the last part.

Quick note : they've got Lineker's debut coming up in two weeks against Muin Gafurov, who signed for the UFC, had a fight announced then apparently was blocked by his One contract.

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

Fernandes looked his usual excellent self and was able to get it to the ground real early. Agreed with your thoughts on Christian Lee. He looked fucking great in all facets. I don't know how he and his sister are both trained by their father and one can look so fluid on the feet while the other is basically target practice (though she does throw with power and lands occasionally). 

Unless One offers Tenshin that fuck money and Rizin can't afford to match, Rizin would be insane to let him go elsewhere. 

I also agree with you on Aung La Nsang... Guy looked like the terminator walking through those shots from a bigger guy who has a long list of KOs on his record but I don't like that strategy long term. 

Finally getting around to watching the Rizin show. Miyuu was getting in on Ham but wasn't able to do much when she would get the takedown. Ham controlled her head for the most part and it's not as if Miyuu has a tonne to offer beyond her still excellent wrestling (her takedowns were lightning quick even without set-ups particularly early on, 45 years old be damned). Good little fight and Miyuu's still elite wrestling can pick up wins over a lot of the talent level Rizin has. Her standup still isn't any good but her hand speed and technique has come along somewhat since her debut. She threw a lazy, slow kick to Ham's body and was countered and eventually finished on the ground. Ham looked solid if a little tentative on her feet, understandably. Her fight with Asakura on the NYE should be agood one... I didn't know that Hamasaki beat Ham twice in Jewels. Hamasaki also beat a teenage Mizuki Inoue between the two Ham wins. Ham and Miyuu both come off as really awesome people. Respect to Ham for learning a bit of Japanese during her Jewels/Deep days. The Rizin atomweight title is bigger than Hamasaki

Unrelated/cibernetico moment, but I get that it's a trait among many Asian women not to age for like the first 70 years of their lives and then it happens all at once but Miyuu still is both in phenomenal shape and a total fucking babe at 45. Good God.

Best fight so far has been Taiga vs. Taiju Shiratori in a kickboxing contest, with the latter being Tenshin's training partner. Taiju more or less dominated the first two rounds and looked to be coasting to victory early in the third until Taiga started catching him with those strikes of his as he leaped in to close the significant reach advantage Taiju had. Taiga got a knock down and was swangin' 'n' bangin' but couldn't do enough. Good shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Wild finish to the Devin Powell match. Had a choke applied at the end of the round and after the bell went his opponent started applying a single-leg takedown on the referee. Technical submission.

Does Campbell know that no video exists online of Alberto's most recent MMA "fights"? Why put that unnecessary pressure on him?

On 11/2/2019 at 6:59 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

LFA has found a broadcast partner and now will be broadcasting their events on UFC Fight Pass.

Oh, BTW, Combate Americas is replacing LFA on AXS next year. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 4:12 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh, BTW, Combate Americas is replacing LFA on AXS next year. 

That's cool, I don't know why they got rid of LFA in the first place if they were just gonna replace it, but I'm glad there will be some type of MMA on AXS still.

Speaking of Combate, is there anywhere to watch live as of now? Would love to see Thunder Rosa's debut tomorrow but I don't know that it airs

10 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

That's cool, I don't know why they got rid of LFA in the first place if they were just gonna replace it, but I'm glad there will be some type of MMA on AXS still.

Speaking of Combate, is there anywhere to watch live as of now? Would love to see Thunder Rosa's debut tomorrow but I don't know that it airs

The only place I see is Univision.and TUDN at 12 a.m. ET (so technically Saturday morning). I have the latter.

• Thanks 1

Sooo South African MMA organization EFC has not paid sanctioning fees to the governing body of the country and there are also complaints from fighters over not being paid. EFC wants to just keep plugging along like nothing happened even though they're no longer sanctioned. I started trying to watch some of their shows when I could after seeing how good Dricus Du Plessis looked in KSW. It's mostly not very good fights with exciting finishes as one sees on the regional circuits.

Edited by Oyaji

I'm kinda sad that King Mo decided to have a retirement fight when clearly he wasn't really capable to having a decent performance. Those knee injuries from earlier in his career and the injuries he has suffered fairly recently completely depleted him as a fighter. He shouldn't be getting KO'd by someone like Andrew Kapel. However, if you go into fights compromised as Mo has went into for several years now, that's what you can expect. It also doesn't help that Jerin Valel did not get to Mo for assistance as he was trying to get up after being knocked out. That itself was scary because Mo just fell back down on his face immediately. Hopefully..hopefully this is it for Mo. He shouldn't be in the cage anymore.

Anyways...on a much less depressing, and dare I say, happier note, people continue to get massacred on Bellator prelims for I'm safely assuming is an amount of money that isn't worth it:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Sooo South African MMA organization EFC has not paid sanctioning fees to the governing body of the country and there are also complaints from fighters over not being paid. EFC wants to just keep plugging along like nothing happened even though they're no longer sanctioned. I started trying to watch some of their shows when I could after seeing how good Dricus Du Plessis looked in KSW.

It sounds like you better enjoy them while you still can.

I've got a channel on my tv subscription called Fight Sports tv that you'd think would be great but is really just old boxing fights, tons of re-runs of that Jimmy Smith show, some other garbage and lots of EFC. They used to show all of the big HBO boxing fights live but that stopped years ago and the only live events they show now are EFC. They used to have events pretty much every month or every month so what you posted kind of explains that.

I really tried to get into EFC but yeah....it's not great. Having said that I'm still rooting for Champion Dalcha tonight!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since I was reminded, gotta say that the last episode of ONE Championship was really fun even though I was only half watching it. It seemed like every time I looked up everyone was working at 2X speed and there would be a knockout. Best MMA/Kickboxing show I've seen in a long time. 

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe, the biggest fight in MMA according to one Lupe Contreras.

I totally forgot THIS was happening this week. Also, can the remaining living members of Pantera sue to get their song taken out of this piece of shit fight? I thought RVD was about come out.

• Haha 1

I meant to ask if we were including that in the picks lol!  In a big weekend of fights, the biggest showdown of 'em all... UFC Light heavyweight Title vs. WWE Worlds Title, Winner Take ALL! AXS had an hour long preview special on it last night.  Also has Sexy Star of AAA/LU on the card. "Who's Side Are YOU On!"

Edited by DreamBroken