DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Has Mousasi ever looked like he didn't just get out of bed? Both in demeanor and appearance.

I saw where he lives in the Netherlands out in the middle of nowhere on an episode of Embedded once. It's so gloomy and desolate that the only thing you can possibly do there is sleep.

I'm just started watching the Bellator card from Pechanga from earlier tonight that's on my DVR. Boy, Joe Schilling is a story of what could have been. When he gets tapped on the chin, you never seen a person go down in a heap like Schilling. It's sad because besides getting dropped briefly on a flash KD, he was handily winning the fight. Then in the third round, a left hook grazes the button and the lights go out. IMO I don't think it's a guy who historically has always had a bad chin. I think it's more a case where physically he can put together an amazing performance, but his chin is indicative of person who has had too many fights.

I know he left Glory over pay, but it doesn't look like Glory lost out on much. Bellator Kickboxing, which you gotta believe he was gonna be one of their centerpieces, was dead on arrival. Schilling's MMA career has been anything but good. Schilling's work as a trainer out in Los Angeles has been more notable than his fighting over the last 2-3 year because he now has that stigma of overhyped kickboxer who sucks at MMA.

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm just started watching the Bellator card from Pechanga from earlier tonight that's on my DVR. Boy, Joe Schilling is a story of what could have been. When he gets tapped on the chin, you never seen a person go down in a heap like Schilling. It's sad because besides getting dropped briefly on a flash KD, he was handily winning the fight. Then in the third round, a left hook grazes the button and the lights go out. IMO I don't think it's a guy who historically has always had a bad chin. I think it's more a case where physically he can put together an amazing performance, but his chin is indicative of person who has had too many fights.

I know he left Glory over pay, but it doesn't look like Glory lost out on much. Bellator Kickboxing, which you gotta believe he was gonna be one of their centerpieces, was dead on arrival. Schilling's MMA career has been anything but good. Schilling's work as a trainer out in Los Angeles has been more notable than his fighting over the last 2-3 year because he now has that stigma of overhyped kickboxer who sucks at MMA.

This says something about the state of American kickboxing when he was regarded as the best native kickboxer at one point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

Elsalva, i got into an argument a couple weeks ago with my MMA watching buddy and maybe you can provide your opinion. when will we see a dude with 50+ UFC fights?

Shit, Cerrone and Jim Miller both have 33 UFC fights each. I'm not sure if Miller reaches 50 because six more years of fighting at about three fights a year is a big commitment. He is battling age, wear and tear, and Lyme disease. Plus, guys in MMA don't get worse every new generation. I can see Miller clear 40...maybe 45 fights max. He's gonna have to win enough times to make it there. With Cerrone, I can easily see the UFC actively trying their best to have him make it to the half century mark. I would even be surprised if the UFC didn't make the push. The only thing is Cerrone is regularly fighting a higher caliber of opponent than a Jim Miller is. He will suffer more ugly losses as a result. If he doesn't go on a losing streak the way Penn did, he will make it to 50. If he starts taking an insane amount of punishment and it doesn't make sense for him to be fighting contenders anymore, he will get bumped down to the seniors division at 155 and 170 with Miller and Diego Sanchez. 

• Thanks 1

Well, they've been trying to get Ricardo Arona to fight again for about ten years now. This is as good a time as any. Get Heath Herring and Ninja Rua and this will be the MMA equivalent of a ECW reunion show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God, I feel like the biggest One shill here sometimes but somebody's gotta post it. A lot to look forward to on this one scattered throughout the two cards. As far as I can tell, the first card will start around the same time as the UFC main show this weekend and between the two cards will probably go on for about 12-13 hours. The LW gp turned out to be about the ugliest grand prix ever but at least they found a suitable replacement for Eddie Alvarez after he dropped out.

EGQZiBOU4AUACk1.jpg

EGQZiBPVUAAULMl.jpg

Trying to drop a palate cleanser here because I can be as nostalgic as anyone but Ortiz-Albeto and Fedor-Rampage is just....

• Like 1

Miyuu... ? Kawajiri also lost. Not a great night for the older Japanese fighters. Hopefully Yamamoto can bounce back with a layup quickly on the NYE show. 

Kyoji vs. Sakura rematch is set for the NYE show, this time for the bantamweight title. Ham will fight Ayaka Hamasaki for the atomweight title that same night. Both should be good fights. 

In theory I love the idea of the interpromotional battle that Rizin and Bellator have planned for the Bellator Japan show but I imagine most of Rizin's top talent will be booked for the big NYE show a few days later so it'll be just some randoms thrown in there. 

• Like 1

Just checking out some of Tapology's fight/KO/sub of the year contenders from outside of the UFC and came across this...

That is one of the gnarliest looking one strike KOs I've ever seen and definitely one of the best knees. Full power with the scissor and a bit of the plum clinch, flush right on the extended chin. Barnaoui would go on to choke out A Sol Kwon in the first round.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Miyuu... ? Kawajiri also lost. Not a great night for the older Japanese fighters. Hopefully Yamamoto can bounce back with a layup quickly on the NYE show. 

Kyoji vs. Sakura rematch is set for the NYE show, this time for the bantamweight title. Ham will fight Ayaka Hamasaki for the atomweight title that same night. Both should be good fights. 

In theory I love the idea of the interpromotional battle that Rizin and Bellator have planned for the Bellator Japan show but I imagine most of Rizin's top talent will be booked for the big NYE show a few days later so it'll be just some randoms thrown in there. 

I am surprised they put Miyuu against Ham (well besides it being standard Japanese MMA matchmaking). You have a fairly one dimensional wrestler against either the #1 or #2 atomweight in the world. Yeah, Miyuu was going to get punted. I like Miyuu too (not as much as Seo Hee considering my avatar obviously) so that seems like cruel and unusual punishment.

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

I'd be really curious to know how many people actually showed up.

Yeah because the lights didn't even go up for the entrances in the main event. If you didn't know better you would think it was a power failure in the arena.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Just checking out some of Tapology's fight/KO/sub of the year contenders from outside of the UFC and came across this...

That is one of the gnarliest looking one strike KOs I've ever seen and definitely one of the best knees. Full power with the scissor and a bit of the plum clinch, flush right on the extended chin. Barnaoui would go on to choke out A Sol Kwon in the first round.

Thanks for this. 2019 is the year of the memorable KO.