DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Most people who come out of a nine hour operation, with eight broken bones in their face and head, wouldn't feel 'Blessed'. Sage Northcutt is a man unlike other men.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Fuck yeah, Miyuu Yamamoto! She has a 4 win fight streak and upset Asakura. 

Oh and Tenshin won.

I was talking to sprewell rimz last night about Miyuu after the Joshua/Ruiz fight. I totally forgot about the RIZIN show though. I just heard about Tenshin getting a new opponent, but didn't remember the date.

I'm watching the LFA show from this past Friday right now. Carla Esparza's training partner Vanessa Demopoulos probably should be on the upcoming season of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. She is basically PVZ 2.0 except she splits her time as an exotic dancer (2nd generation one at that). They did a whole video package for this on the show.

Brandon Moreno had an impressive finish (started with a wicked left uppercut) of Maikel Perez to become the new LFA Flyweight champion. I actually was more impressed by Maikel Perez in the first half of this fight. I think physically Moreno just doesn't do it for me because he's a bit too gangly and his fighting stance looks impractical (he's going to eyepoke the shit out of someone with his fingers extended like that all the time). Perez was busier and more effective and dominated Moreno to the point where he did a combo bulldog/gutwrench inverted sidewalk slam dropping Moreno right on the side of his head. Moreno is lucky he was not knocked out with that. Then, Perez started looking like a 36 year old Cuban wrestler. He got tired and Moreno started busting him up. Once Perez started diving for legs, it was Moreno's bout for the taking. I think Moreno is a tough and crafty fighter, but I don't think he will be able to rise up past being a top 15 flyweight. He overachieved right after being on TUF and that probably hurt his overall growth especially with the UFC desperately wanting to build a star at 125 (bonus points for being Mexican), but I don't see him being more than the guy who could upset someone who is more of pretender than contender. Perez is a decent name to put on your resume, but at the same time, he's someone whose UFC window was rapidly closing going into that fight. With this loss, it's pretty much shut save for a slot on DWTNCS or as a late replacement. With all that said, Moreno would be a solid addition to ONE, Combate, or maybe even RIZIN. I'm surprised that Combate hasn't went after him. Maybe they did, but he wants to go back to the UFC. However, he has a greater chance of flourishing outside the UFC where he's just going to struggle to win consecutive fights.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Apparently, Bellator is picking up the slack since UFC left Fox when it comes to ending shows at 1 a.m. local time. They really didn't need to have five local jobber matches sandwiched between the real prelims and the actual main card. They could have started the main card an hour early.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Aaron Pico. He tried his best to wrestle Borics to death and avoid his own inclination to trade. As soon as an opening presented itself, flying knee right to the dome. 

55 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm starting to feel sorry for Aaron Pico. He tried his best to wrestle Borics to death and avoid his own inclination to trade. As soon as an opening presented itself, flying knee right to the dome. 

That's where I'm at too. He tried to learn and he still got knocked out. He has such raw talent but putting it all together is not working yet.

25 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That's where I'm at too. He tried to learn and he still got knocked out. He has such raw talent but putting it all together is not working yet.

It's a little funny that Phil Hawes was also on this undercard. If ANYONE can commiserate with Pico, it would be Phil Hawes. Greg Jackson and Brandon Gibson were suppose to turn Hawes into the next big superstar. The problem is Hawes can control 90% of a fight and find a way to get knocked out or choked unconscious. His last loss (to Julian Marquez on DWTNCS) forced Hawes into a near two year hiatus before he returned for this Bellator card. Jackson and Gibson must have been thinking deja vu in the corner when they saw Pico go down to the flying knee.

Agreed on the Pico sentiment. I laughed when he lost his debut just because how blown up it all was. At this point, I actually find myself rooting for the guy. Maybe that was Bellator's plan all along? Like the anti-MVP?

58 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Agreed on the Pico sentiment. I laughed when he lost his debut just because how blown up it all was. At this point, I actually find myself rooting for the guy. Maybe that was Bellator's plan all along? Like the anti-MVP?

It looks like Pico personally wanted to step up whereas Bellator intentionally kept MVP away from the top welterweights and Page likely had no problem that with as he was trying to box at the same time. You could even make a (small) case that MVP being saved for the welterweight tournament that's DAZN exclusive worked out because there was mystery and intrigue. Nobody knew that if you hit the guy on the button, he might go straight to sleep. He also had a chance to overperform a little after a weird fight with Daley and look like a real fighter against Lima before he got KO'd. They gave Pico some short order cooks after that first disappointment, an undersized Brazilian fighter who has underperformed in Leandro Higo, and two fighters who he should have never fought in Henry Corrales and Adam Borics. People sometimes crap on how UFC books their prospects, but he would have never fought those type of dudes at this point. The UFC has the luxury of having a great mid tier for featherweight along with lightweight and welterweight. I mean Corrales and Borics would be in that, but on the Bellator scale, those are their top tier dudes. He would have been fighting Kyle Bochniak, Julian Erosa, Suman Mokhtarian, etc. It would be high caliber fringe fighters he can style on, but are legit enough to say he beat someone at least halfway decent. In Bellator, he doesn't have that option.

• 2 weeks later...

Mousasi would have won under Pride rules. I had it 47-47, but I tend to give 10-8s if one guy does the butt scoot more than once in a round. On the other hand, Gegard did make some bad tactical decisions and gave up a couple of takedowns you'd expect a hug of his calibre to defend. Still, well done to Rafael Lovato Jr, and I bet he loses his first defence.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

John Howard knocked out Ray Cooper to punch his to the playoffs and Kaufman got the #1 seed Harrison the #2 seed so they would meet in the finals instead of the semi's.

I wish I had a screenshot of the Harrison/Frier stats at the end of the fight. Frier was like 0 for 2 in strikes thrown/landed. It was a statistical wipeout.

But yeah, that left hook John Howard got Ray Cooper III with after Howard already dropped him was nasty.

• Like 1

Eddie Alvarez and Eduard Folayang's fight on August 2nd has turned into a LW GP semi-final due to Timofey Nastyukin's injury ( he was already scheduled to face a reserve fighter after his original opponent was injured). All-in-all, a great looking card though as One continues with their current trend of heavily stacking certain cards and throwing filler shows in between. The entire main card is great here with the top 4 fights being really notable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watching LFA. Mike Hamel's mullet with lightning bolts shaved into the sides is EPIC.

EDIT: Adding the reflective beach shades amps up the sleaze to unforeseen levels

pics or it didn't happen