DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

DwPrhMsUcAAViGp.jpg?1546900964

Bellator 216: MVP vs. Daley
February 16, 2019
Uncasville, CT (Mohegan Sun Arena)

Bellator Welterweight World Grand Prix Quarter-Final: Michael Page (170) vs. Paul Daley (170) - Page, DEC (unanimous)
Mirko Filipović (234.5) vs. Roy Nelson (259.2) - Filipović, DEC (unanimous)
Cheick Kongo (236) vs. Vitaly Minakov (240.5) - Kongo, DEC (unanimous)
Yaroslav Amosov (169.75) vs. Erick Silva (170) - Amosov, DEC (unanimous)
Valerie Loureda (123.5) vs. Colby Fletcher (122.25) - Loureda, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:55)

Bellator App Preliminary Card:
Demetrios Plaza (169.5) vs. Andrews Rodriguez (169.5) - Plaza, DEC (unanimous)
Reginaldo Felix (185) vs. Justin Sumter (185.5) - Sumter, SUB (neck crank), R2 (3:27)
Kastriot Xhema (165) vs. Camron Lochinov (166) - Lochinov, SUB (kneebar), R2 (0:53)
Tyrell Fortune (246.25) vs. Ryan Pokryfky (250) - Fortune, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:28)
Vinicius de Jesus (171) vs. Rodolfo Barcellos (169.5) - De Jesus, TKO (punches), R1 (3:46)
Jesse Kosakowski (168) vs. Rodolfo Neves Rocha (170.5) - Kosakowski, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:05)
Pat Casey (155.75) vs. Nekruz Mirkhojaev (154) - Mirkhojaev, SUB (neck crank), R3 (1:18) 

I believe it was Forbes that did a story on DAZN getting ready to put down another $2.5 billion in sports rights fees. The story mentioned La Liga and other properties that share the rights of but left out boxing and MMA. I thought that was a bit weird. I guess people already view it as just a part of the portfolio.

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Any news on these ONE shows that are supposed to be on TNT?

I haven't seen anything since the original report besides Meltzer saying that the TNT shows are just digests (like clip shows or Best ofs like UFC Unleashed) and probably won't be in primetime.

• Like 1

I was watching the UFC on ESPN 1 weigh ins and adding the weights and totally forgot about Bellator 216. At least I started my DAZN stream in time for Minakov/Kongo.

And Kongo knees him in the balls. So business as usual I see.

I should've listened to you @Elsalvajeloco and skipped all of the Friday show. Logan Storley is amazingly quick on takedowns, and boring as fuck once he got the guy down. And the main event, well, ouch.

I only watched the top two fights on both shows, but holy fuck was round one of Daley/Page the single most boring round I've ever seen. It finally picked up at the very end of round 2, and wasn't bad after that, but yikes. Nelson/CroCop failed to be an interesting trainwreck or entertaining freak show, but they did land a few good shots here and there.

• Like 2

I have my voiced my problems with MVP here for several years now, but I think tonight illustrated the biggest flaw in Bellator's plan to hype him. When he doesn't get highlight reel finishes, people walk away disappointed even though he has went to decision now with all his best opponents which ain't exactly a bad thing. IIRC He had this exact same fight with Nah-Shon Burrell. That was back in 2014. He should be way better than that now. He has  top 15 fighter offense, but the capabilities of someone who in a crunch has to fight down to the level of his opponent.  They literally didn't make contact tonight until 2 minutes and ten seconds into round 1. They literally circled for two minutes and ten seconds.  A minute in...if you have someone that deep in the fear zone to the point where they refuse to throw strikes, you might as well just start picking them apart. MVP has the skills to do it because he landed a good jab and front kick w/o needing to counter. The problem is they were seperated by several seconds of inactivity. When Daley feinted and then MVP jumped in the air for a flying knee and then just guided himself gently down, I just started rubbing my temples and shook my head at that point. It's so frustrating to watch a fighter who has had several years to put it together and then just muffed it. It's not like Paul Daley is the most infallible guy. He didn't commit really to any left hook the entire fight, and that's his money punch.

This was not a great weekend for the smaller companies. I was actually kind of lookung forward to the Bellator shows knowing full well thete was a decent card there spread out over two shows. Both were pretty much duds and One's Saturday show was just as bad.

Re- MVP, I might have misheard as I was switching it off, but in his post fight interview I think he was bragging about Daley never shooting so much before. In my mind, I was thinking more along the lines of Daley has never had this much success with his wrestling before.  Hard to grandstand after a performance like that. I had it 38-38 with the first being burned in a dumpster behind the arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Some random bits that weren't mentioned here :

PFL announced the women's roster for this year's tournament and the sub-headline might as well be 'make Kayla Harrison a millionaire'. Not that there are a ton of prospects at the weight class in the free market afaik anyway.

One Championship continues to baffle me with the moves they make and recent signings. Since the Alvarez/DJ/Northcutt signings, they've (semi-)recently added Okami, Akiyama and Vitor Belfort. I get that they are making a big push into Japan but given that we have no idea whether or not that will be a success, the dollar figures attached to some of those contracts has to be a big gamble for a company that has a record of being unable to actually make any money.

Speaking of the push into Japan, they have an absolutely stacked card scheduled for the 31st in Tokyo. However, it's come at the expense of all of their other markets in their main region, South East Asia. I still think it was downright stupid to put Angela Lee's title fight and Aung La Nsang's title fight in Tokyo when they could have been slotted into the Singapore show from a few weeks back and Friday's Myanmar show. From what I've heard, they had trouble selling out Singapore off of a Stamp Fairtex/Janet Todd main event and rightly so. If there's one country they should be making money in, it's Singapore - their home base and the strongest economy by far in the region. Myanmar's main drawing fight this weekend was Phoe Thaw in an absolutely terrible, bottom-of-the-barrel level fight. There was a legitimately strong main event in Kadestam vs. Kichigan which no one really cared about.

Also, Belfort put out an instagram post basically saying that he's got a fight in the works with Roy Jones Jr. If that's true, that's another fight they'd be putting a lot of money into with again little or no return from their average fan's perspective.

Having said all that, I still really enjoy the events they put on. March 31st definitely has that make it or break it feel that Tenshin-Mayweather had at Rizin NYE though.

Finally, Tenshin's fighting today in one of the two big kickboxing shows from Japan. That shows available on fite.tv for $17. I'm still calling bs on the rumoured follow-up boxing match at Rizin but won't be surprised if it does turn out to be true.

• Like 2

The prospect of Kayla Harrison vs. Larissa Pacheco is the equivalent of a Vader or Sid WCW squash match from the early 90s. She could powerbomb Larissa Pacheco and place one finger on her for the pin.

DJ vs. Wakamatsu is the weirdest fantasy booking MMA fight ever. Wakamatsu is a hell of a puncher but Demetrious is like 150 time better than him as a grappler. But yeah, that Tokyo card is them sacrificing everything for one massive supercard. It's three weeks away and in terms of casual interest, I don't see a ton of buzz. If this was RIZIN, people would be calling it the greatest card ever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Setsuna said:

One Championship continues to baffle me with the moves they make and recent signings. Since the Alvarez/DJ/Northcutt signings, they've (semi-)recently added Okami, Akiyama and Vitor Belfort. I get that they are making a big push into Japan but given that we have no idea whether or not that will be a success, the dollar figures attached to some of those contracts has to be a big gamble for a company that has a record of being unable to actually make any money.

Speaking of the push into Japan, they have an absolutely stacked card scheduled for the 31st in Tokyo. However, it's come at the expense of all of their other markets in their main region, South East Asia. I still think it was downright stupid to put Angela Lee's title fight and Aung La Nsang's title fight in Tokyo when they could have been slotted into the Singapore show from a few weeks back and Friday's Myanmar show.

51 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

DJ vs. Wakamatsu is the weirdest fantasy booking MMA fight ever. Wakamatsu is a hell of a puncher but Demetrious is like 150 time better than him as a grappler. But yeah, that Tokyo card is them sacrificing everything for one massive supercard. It's three weeks away and in terms of casual interest, I don't see a ton of buzz. If this was RIZIN, people would be calling it the greatest card ever.

this is the first i'm hearing about the card, and i feel like i have to be considered a hardcore fan. 

after looking it up, that does look like a hell of a card and i will definitely be checking it out. but the fact that i didn't know it was happening speaks volumes as to their presence/press/marketing here in the west.

• Like 2