DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Bellator 247 on the prelims had a Scorpion Crunch finish in the 1st fight. I think Big John called it Ultimate Guard in BJJ. 

I think that's on the level of getting submitted via can opener.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Alex Pereira has signed with LFA, which probably means he is a full-time MMA fighter now.

Loooong way to go for him but with Glory inactive I think he is seeing dollar signs should he ever make it to the level of contender.  Beat a few scrubs in LFA then head to UFC, beat a couple gatekeepers, and a couple top ten guys and then you market a big title fight with Adesanya as the "guy who beat him."  Again, still a looong way to go.

• Like 1

Timestamped for a really cool sequence. Lee gets mount and Lapicus immediately bucks him and then flips 'n' scoots through his legs. Rarely see that in MMA. Didn't work in the long-run as Lee went on to finish it with strikes on the ground not too long after but fuck that was cool.

Was wondering what John Lineker was up to as I hadn't heard his name in forever but he signed with ONE last year? That's cool. He's fighting Kevin Belingon on the 13th. That's way cooler. Fuck yeah. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

Timestamped for a really cool sequence. Lee gets mount and Lapicus immediately bucks him and then flips 'n' scoots through his legs. Rarely see that in MMA. Didn't work in the long-run as Lee went on to finish it with strikes on the ground not too long after but fuck that was cool.

Was wondering what John Lineker was up to as I hadn't heard his name in forever but he signed with ONE last year? That's cool. He's fighting Kevin Belingon on the 13th. That's way cooler. Fuck yeah. 

I was going to mention this card, and that exact same spot, but didn't get around to it last night. I thought it was a great event - legitimate prospects, equal match making and some great finishes. Probably the best non-UFC event in a long while that I can think of. I know I'm biased here though.

I'm with McCarthy on that one. How the fuck did that man not just go straight out? Insane power. Did Pico show some wrestling/nous prior to that?

Never mind, it's on YT. That's the way he should be fighting. Wow. Wrestling opens up striking. Very nice combinations with body work thrown in there too but he's still leaving his head open and on the centre line when throwing those big power combinations. My only concern watching that fight. I enjoyed the commentary team talking about him not fighting with emotion... A few moments later and Pico is talking trash to de Jesus and his corner after winning by violent TKO.

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I'm with McCarthy on that one. How the fuck did that man not just go straight out? Insane power. Did Pico show some wrestling/nous prior to that?

Never mind, it's on YT. That's the way he should be fighting. Wow. Wrestling opens up striking. Very nice combinations with body work thrown in there too but he's still leaving his head open and on the centre line when throwing those big power combinations. My only concern watching that fight. I enjoyed the commentary team talking about him not fighting with emotion... A few moments later and Pico is talking trash to de Jesus and his corner after winning by violent TKO.

This kinda reminds me of when Josh Koscheck went from wrestler to wrestler with a huge right hand when he went on his little run to a title shot. However, because he was out here KOing the likes Yoshiyuki Yoshida and I think Matt Hughes IIRC, it made people think that he's just this all new fighter. Then, he fought GSP and GSP used his head like a speed ball with a simple jab. Simply because you add more tools to the toolbox doesn't erase some of the deficiencies you have. That is unless savvy defense is one of those tools. We saw what happened when Koscheck fell off physically what happened against the likes of Woodley, Lawler, etc. When he fought guys who didn't necessarily have better boxing than GSP, but still had a better and more reliable signature punch...he was a sitting duck. 

Pico is way more athletic than Koscheck, but he's also fighting lesser competition over time. Koscheck was fighting GSP, who had already been a top WW as soon as he beat Pete Spratt in TKO, about two years removed from TUF. That first fight with GSP made him go back to AKA and recalibrate his game. I dunno know what Pico can do other than wrestle more in a time that's much different than 2007 or 2008. If he is running into trouble in Bellator with a few of their guys, I dunno what it would be like if he was up against a Zabit, a Brian Ortega, or a Korean Zombie. We don't even think of a guy like Calvin Kattar when we think toppity top featherweights, but he is one. Pico wouldn't be able to just knock their head into the fifth row. If anything, he would be the one who would have to avoid that from happening to him. Pico is going to have to prove he can do that against a guy who can match him. Maybe not in the wrestling department, but in other areas of MMA. Against guys who are clearly below a certain level, he can put on highlight reels everytime out.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

That's what I'm interested to see now that he's taken steps but clearly has some leftover issues. What are his immediate and long-term paths? Now that he's looked solid against the lower tier guys, does he start to move up and face some of the fighters from the featherweights that were in the grand prix? Moving his way up through the losers of the first and second rounds wouldn't be the worst way to mark his progress if he and his team think he's ready for that. Then, how long does he stick around in Bellator until he feels like a move to the UFC is in his best interest? I can't imagine him being a Bellator lifer. They probably won't survive that long first and foremost.