DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

I think it was in that same press release that there was an expectation of something like 'attain profitability' within 12 months. Yeah, um, how?

I've always said that they should be focusing on building up their Singapore shows. I don't know what the Singapore shows cost, but that's where they should have been looking to turn a profit. Thailand, Philippines, Myanmar,etc. tickets were so cheap they might as well have been free. TV, I don't know.. They've got huge presence in SEA but they do some kind of bartering system that I don't fully understand.

That was a very Trumpish way to let people go. 'These layoffs are beautiful. The best layoffs.'

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'm guessing those huge houses they were pulling in when running Singapore, Thailand, and Philippines were low gates and tickets were very inexpensive? And what about TV money? They had that deal with TNT, which I doubt was for a whole lot, and I'm guessing TV rights haven't reached stupid inflated highs even relative to the West? Doesn't sound good.

I believe their latest filing doesn't include the money from the TNT deal, but I doubt that would be big money anyway. They had an increase in their TV money from 2017 to 2018 in that filing but not significant enough to keep pace with their increased losses.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, things are not going well in combat sports outside of the obvious

https://www.mmanews.com/glory-kickboxing-goes-into-receivership-not-bankruptcy-as-initially-thought/

Glory Kickboxing seems to be having financial trouble. While many reports emerged that the Dutch kickboxing promotion had filed for bankruptcy, TSN’s Aaron Bronsteter clarified that was not the case, which means the kickboxing promotion could still be around. 

Giovanni Tjin broke the news of their financial troubles early Friday that said Glory Managing Director of Sports Cor Hemmers had been fired along with news about the organization having to close their office in the Netherlands. In May, it was announced by Glory that Marshall Zelaznik had resigned from his role as Chief Executive Officer. 

Somehow, with the news from today bankruptcy was being reported but once word got around, it was made clear to Bronsteter that they had “gone into receivership and had not filed for bankruptcy yet.”

Apparently the promotion will go through some restructuring and find a way to resolve their issues. With the news out, it was also said an announcement with some clarification on their future is coming soon. 

Also, RIZIN is "trying" to do two shows on 8/9 and 8/10 at a new arena in Yokohama but only with Japanese fighters (similar to the Dream show in May 2011 after the tsunami/earthquake). I put quotations around trying because they're looking for crowdfunding help to reach their goal of 50 million yen (roughly $465,000 USD). Much like Dream after that particular show, RIZIN might not be around too long after this.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Sad 1

In ONE FC news, it appears they're running a Thai fighter only event (with only a few non Thai fighters and all three fighters just happened to be based in Thailand) on July 31 in Bangkok. It's going to be headlined by two Muay Thai championship bouts.

Bellator's return is set for 7/24 at Mohegan Sun Arena on Paramount headlined by Sergio Pettis vs. Ricky Bandejas. Other fights on the card are Jordan Mein vs. Jason Jackson, Aaron Pico vs. Solo Hatley Jr., Ty-wan Claxton vs. Jay Jay Wilson, Raufeon Stots vs. Cass Bell, and Logan Storley vs. Mark Lemminger. Mohegan Sun Arena will also host Michael Chandler vs. Ben Henderson II on 8/7, an unspecified card on 8/21, and Lyoto Machida vs. Phil Davis II on 9/11.  

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In ONE FC news, it appears they're running a Thai fighter only event (with only a few non Thai fighters and all three fighters just happened to be based in Thailand) on July 31 in Bangkok. It's going to be headlined by two Muay Thai championship bouts.

They announced and cancelled a few events over the past few months. Once they announced a Thailand event with fights attached, it was they were going with only local fighters so a muay thai-heavy card was guaranteed. International flights are pretty much shut down through SEA, aside from relief flights for people to get back to their home countries. I'm not sure when the next card will happen, unless they stick to booking only local fighters. I'll take what I can get though.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Insane submission finish and comeback from Vanessa Demopoulos just now on LFA, great fight.

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Crystal-Vanessa-Demopoulos-Inverted-Triangle-Chokes-Sam-Hughes-Unconscious-at-LFA-85-174033

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...