DVDVR Message Board

Battle Royale Games MEGA THREAD

Gonzo

Played a lot of Apex Legends last night with two friends and we wound up coming in 2nd a few times. Each time we were just completely undergeared for the final fight. No smokes, low on ammo, low on shields, and my ultimate to call down supply drops never yielded anything helpful. Just really unlucky. 

Our last game was our best chance to win because the enemy was holed up in a building. We grenaded the shit out of it, circled it, sent inside, but it was full of smoke. They picked us all off one by one. 

Lifeline, and a peacekeeper with the right attachments is da bomb. Won 2 games this morning. Played with one in the first game, and played as one in the 2nd. Getting to that final 2 is the most thrilling thing I’ve done in a game in quite sometime. Plus the shooting, and Foley work aesthetics really add to the overall fun in this game. My current addiction right now.

Overall I’ve had about 10+ wins with rando’s. Honestly I’ve not played that much.

Finally got my first solo win in Black Out last night. Well, it's Ambush but it still counts as a win unlike a quad win I had in Ambush earlier, which is strange. 

I thought my Sea of Thieves addiction was strong, then I played Black Out. There's a livestream in a few minutes detailing the next season/operation. I know it won't happen but I really hope they start moving away from the '99 CORE AF COOL WAR aesthetic they're rocking hard to something less ridiculous. I'm not saying go full Fortnite but let's add a bit more fun.

13 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Today I accomplished two things.

#1: WIN #4

#2: I just got eliminated by KevinDDR, THE American Tetris Grand Master. I placed 6th, and he got win number 185 of 259. The fact that I could hang with him and fight him off, even as briefly as I did, feels like a fifth win.

I mean if you lasted more than 5 seconds you're bare minimum a first degree black belt, right?

I watched some of Shroud streaming Apex last night and I honestly don't know if I've ever been more shook watching someone play a game. If that dude is in your game it's a straight up instant loss.

Damn. I cannot get a win in Apex Legends. This is a continuing trend with other BR games I've played like PUBG and Blackout where I can regularly get to 2nd or 3rd place, but we simply can't finish the job.

Also, in Apex Legends, you should get bonus experience when your team quits out on you leaving you all by yourself. Like it you make it to the top 5 as a solo then you should be earning extra experience. So many times teammates quit out on character selection and it's like, well, might as well just get some experience anyway and I wind up making in really, really far.

I had the weirdest game stretch yesterday where one guy dropped out during selection, then the second player quit about 90 seconds in (I guess because he realized it wasn't a full team), then I managed to solo for almost 14 minutes and ended up 4th. Then for the next 2 hours, every single game I was in with a full squad ended in under 5 minutes.

Games are weird.

I honestly can't put my finger on it but somehow Apex made a BR that is actually still fun to play after you get through the initial euphoria wave, even if you are awful at it (and I have no ego here, my shooting skills are incredibly poor+not a good rig at all). It's just *fun* in some way I can't put into words.

My wife and I have been playing Tetris 99 since it came out and holy crap is it awesome.  There's times where I definitely get my ass kicked but then there's times where I can hang and average into the 25-35th range.  While I just might not have been in a room full of ruthless bastards last night I got 4th and I felt like king shit.  I'm trying to get the hang of the T spin but there's a difference between trying it in regular Tetris an trying it in a game where 98 others are trying to take you out.  If I can get that then hopefully I'll fare better.  But while I might not be singing its praises like Lamp does I absolutely love this game.

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

Damn. I cannot get a win in Apex Legends. This is a continuing trend with other BR games I've played like PUBG and Blackout where I can regularly get to 2nd or 3rd place, but we simply can't finish the job.

Also, in Apex Legends, you should get bonus experience when your team quits out on you leaving you all by yourself. Like it you make it to the top 5 as a solo then you should be earning extra experience. So many times teammates quit out on character selection and it's like, well, might as well just get some experience anyway and I wind up making in really, really far.

Oh, don't get me and Rippa ranting about players that quit a match early.

As much as I support early quit sanctions like handing out automatic losses to drop outs, the fact that some people just have shit internet keeps me from wanting to penalize players for crap that is not in their sphere of control.

If I had a dime for every time my console seized up due to shit framerate in the middle of ME3 / ME:A co-op or D1 / D2 PvP, I'd be rich.

Dota (and probably LoL as well) is hardcore when it comes to penalizing you for abandoning a match. The first time you abandon in a week there's no penalty that you can see, but you have a behavior score that winds up being affected. The lower your behavior score, the more likely you get paired up with or against toxic people. The second time you abandon you're placed in something called Low Priority. Low Priority is essentially hell. You can only play one specific game type which limits the heroes you can choose from to three different heroes, so right away you're fucked if you've never played those heroes before. You're also playing against other people in Low Priority, which means you're playing with and against total shitheads, people who quit out because they'll just make another account, toxic people, racists, spammers, feeders, etc. Oh yeah, and you may be forced to win anywhere from 1 to, um, I guess as many games they force you to win. It's random. So you don't just have to play out a game, you have to win the fucking thing too. The most I've seen someone have to win is 7 games and considering games take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, yeah, you're basically fucked.

And then if you keep abandoning you just get banned anywhere from a couple days up to 6 months.

I don't think you can do that for FPS or squad based shooters. Especially in battle royale games where if you die that's it. I would be nice if there would be some sort of penalty though, like a loss of experience or reduced health or armor in your next game maybe. 

I wish Apex gave you self-moderation tools. Last night I had one of my first Toxic Typing Warriors who called me a "retarded faggot" after he got himself killed. I don't really expect some moderator to sit there watching 5000 games of Apex to handle that shit but there doesn't seem to be an easily accessible way to just turn off another player's text chat, or a personal blacklist I can add them to. That's all I really want. Just a little right click > add to the naughty list.

For the record I have almost 50 hours in the game and this is only like the third or 4th Reddit Champion I've been teamed with.

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The biggest problem I see for Tetris 99 is that you have to use one of the objectively trash Switch controllers to play it. The actual game is fine.

They work fine in handheld mode for me though the Pro controller works worlds better.  I also signed up for Nintendo Online and got the NES controllers and to me it's the best one to use by far.

Last night I had a package call down drop a gold digital scope, which was pretty rad, a level 1 helmet, and a basic charge container. This was when there were only 3 teams left too. Fucking trash.

Sometimes her ult is good, but lately I've tried using it more for bait dropping it farther away so it draws attention and then we rush in with peacekeepers and...whatever else my team is using because that type of job requires a peacekeeper.

Wooooooooooooo! We won one. It was funny too because my friend and I were both like, ok, last game and I joked that this would be when we finally won a game of Apex Legends.

We went nearly the entire game without seeing anyone until there were 4 teams left. There was then a major firefight and it was just down to our two teams. We got to basically right before the final round on top of the marketplace and that's where we killed the last team. Flawless victory too. None of us got knocked down.

Feels good.

• 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It was announced today that PUBG will be getting crossplay

Test servers will be getting it end of Sept and they hope it will go live in early Oct

For the 20 people that still play PUBG.