DVDVR Message Board

Battle Royale Games MEGA THREAD

Gonzo

Since someone suggested it in the Video Game Catch-All thread, why the hell not?

Fortnite, Apex Legends, PUBG, Overwatch, or whatever the heck else everyone is playing in the Battle Royale genre. . .or any that are certain to be coming in the future, since it doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon. . .have at it here.

My friends and I are ADDICTED to Black Out. Usually 2-3 hours each weeknight. The shooting is so tight, as it obviously should be, that it puts all the other games in the genre to shame. And I don't have to worry about the building aspect that's in Fortnite, nor do I have to worry about li'l kids jumping around like jackasses when engaging in gun fights. The aesthetic is very 2005 and the map needs additions (which are coming soon apparently) but it's a fucking great game. Down But Not Out was such a blast because, for me at least, it had the perfect balance of aggression and strategy and squeaky butt time when you're the last person standing in your team. Great game even if I feel dirty for choosing a COD game over Battlefield. EA fucked up and Activision nailed it.

I put some hours into Apex Legends today. It's fun as hell but I might, legitimately, be the world's worst player of this game. Absolutely indefensibly long stretches of, with no exaggeration, not being able to land a single shot never mind a kill. I wouldn't have me on my own squad. I know I'm not the player I used to be at these kind of games but this was pretty embarrassing.

The fact I still had fun despite being absolutely useless in every possible way says something, I guess. The map feels really good to me. The sci-fi elements let them play with verticality in a way you don't get in more realistic games, and that's fun. All the special powers have that hint of Boderlands I personally want. The lootboxes are 100% cosmetics which is fine, and even that shit scales well. Common skins are just colour changes, by epic skins you're into wild redesigns. I can't really comment on the guns because I literally can't hit anything, but whatever. I actually was still on a winning team once with two guys that were impossibly strong.

The kill cams when someone hits you with an execution move are fucking great. They are the absolute right amount of video game disrespect.

I stand by everything else I said in the other thread about how the quality of life side is real good. The colour coded stuff should just be the default in all of these games. 

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I put some hours into Apex Legends today. It's fun as hell but I might, legitimately, be the world's worst player of this game. Absolutely indefensibly long stretches of, with no exaggeration, not being able to land a single shot never mind a kill. I wouldn't have me on my own squad. I know I'm not the player I used to be at these kind of games but this was pretty embarrassing.

The fact I still had fun despite being absolutely useless in every possible way says something, I guess. The map feels really good to me. The sci-fi elements let them play with verticality in a way you don't get in more realistic games, and that's fun. All the special powers have that hint of Boderlands I personally want. The lootboxes are 100% cosmetics which is fine, and even that shit scales well. Common skins are just colour changes, by epic skins you're into wild redesigns. I can't really comment on the guns because I literally can't hit anything, but whatever. I actually was still on a winning team once with two guys that were impossibly strong.

The kill cams when someone hits you with an execution move are fucking great. They are the absolute right amount of video game disrespect.

I stand by everything else I said in the other thread about how the quality of life side is real good. The colour coded stuff should just be the default in all of these games. 

What console are you playing on?

I think the big advantage that Black Ops has over a lot of these games is that you're not stuck only playing Blackout. If I have a bad run in Blackout, I'll usually play the other non zombies modes, which wind up being good practice for gun play in close quarters. I can then go back into Blackout and have a decent run. 

With everything else, you just don't get that sort of practice. 

Anyone looking to improve at playing Apex might want to look into playing Titanfall 2. For one thing, it has all the same guns with all the same recoil patterns, so you can go through the campaign and get used to the guns. For another thing, it's amazing.

I bring this up because on PS4- where I've sank probably over 100 hours into Titanfall 2- I'm useful and good at it. On PC, where I'm not used to the recoil patterns at all, I am garbage. So I'm thinking about getting Titanfall 2 on PC and playing through it to relearn the guns.

23 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I thought Fortnite had color coded pickups according to rarity.

Am I wrong?

That is correct. Grey -> green -> blue -> purple -> gold if I'm not mistaken is the order it goes in.

Apex is a bit of all right.  I was actually on a winning team and while only getting 1 kill, I was the medic and managed to keep my team alive and healed the whole time, so I'm doing something right.  But consoles aren't the best for this genre.

1 hour ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I hear a lot of Fortnite hate from Gamestop employees and I enjoy triggering them with mentions.

Gotta love the gatekeepers.

I'm sure they get a lot of unknowing parents that walk in and go "how do I get my kids Fortnite?"

24 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

It's funny we actually have threads for Overwatch, Fortnite, and PUBG (dead ones, anyway), but *this* is when the catch-all thread appears.  #firstpageproblems

I remembered there being a Fortnite page that was dormant. Forgot about PUBG.

I don't think I'd place Overwatch in the BR category, but I haven't played Overwatch in a couple of years, so it could be a different game.

Overwatch isn't even close to BR.

With regards to PUBG, I'm not even sure what that scene is like now. I went back to it a couple months ago and was greeted with a large image for a "FIX PUBG" campaign. It was really weird to see them acknowledge how fucked up their game was and say we're going to fix it, which is also essentially saying "please continue playing our busted ass game because none of this shit is fixed."

Man, Apex is fun as shit even if I cannot shoot. It has the hooks into me, deep. I'm not yet convinced that Gibralter's ultimate is actually good, but his shield thing is fucking great especially if you main a shotgun. Some dope always wanders up thinking he's hot shit. I am at that point where I'd say the majority of the map I'm starting to understand and so even if my aim is wack, at least I have a pretty good idea where the good shit is and I'm starting to get better at spotting trouble around the corner. My kill stats are awful but I've had 8 top 3's and a win, plus was in another game the other two guys won and I died late. That the game can still be fun for someone like me that is definitely past my best-before date on aiming says a lot.

Fortnite and PubG are both shitty games, but Fortnite markets itself so much better with the kids audience, and is free. Fortnite will be invincible for years and one of those perma-games a la WoW and Minecraft. They are making literal millions of dollars a day so even if it ever "crashes" it's never going under. There will never be a Fortnite Killer except for Fortnite. But I think PubG is a dinosaur, to be honest. It looks bad. It's by far the most boring of the major BR's to watch a stream of. The menus aren't good. Blackout and Apex have really put the nail in the coffin of the idea that a BR has to be a jank-fest, and honestly the genre will be so much better for it in the long run. I have no idea why any new player would lay down $30 for PubG when those other games are right there.

I will also be honest, when it came out that Bungie wasn't doing a Halo BR I was actually a bit sad. I know it is super popular to just shit on the genre, but Bungie's multiplayer has always been top drawer stuff. Halo 2 was one of the first "serious" e-sports that got traction for a reason. I have zero doubt that a Halo BR would be as polished as anything in the genre ever, and I think more hardcore BR players deserve that. BR has been overloaded with real bottom-feeder games, but the games at the top show it can be so much better than that.

I don't have a win in PUBG. I have two second place finishes, at 1 on 1, that both left me trembling from the sudden decrease in adrenaline.

I have a win in Fortnite. I was dead at the time. It didn't feel much like an accomplishment, but it was fun to needle friends of mine who cared about it.

I have a win in Apex Legends. It was my third game I ever played. I had two kills and did a lot of good support stuff. I acknowledged that I probably would never win again.

Tonight, I got a win in Tetris 99, and I felt like my whole nervous system blew a fuse immediately when I realized I got it. I, loudly, at 10:30PM, announced to everyone in my house that I was the best. I couldn't help it. I can't help playing it. If I hope to sleep, I have to put it across the house from me. It is probably the best video game ever.

I have plenty of Squads and Duos wins in Fortnite, mostly because my son used to play on my account all weekend. Some of them are mine, most aren't. However, the only solo win on my Fortnite account was all me. But I did stop playing it not soon after that. Jumped to Rocket League, which was far more fun.

I've never had a win in any battle royale game. I've had a bunch of 2nd place finishes in PUBG, but I swear every time I've lost it's because I don't have any smokes and the other person still left alive has the ghillie suit and the AWM.

In Blackout the highest I've reached is 3rd and that was only once, but otherwise I can typically crack 5 to 10 pretty consistently.

BTW, like all of this shit, PC is the way to go with Apex Legends. It's such a whole different world on the PC.