DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

Dave has the most influential wrestling account on Twitter.

You have to be Thibs because I repeat, if Dave Meltzer was a tastemaker, Bellator would not  be doing 365,000 viewers avg on Paramount in primetime. He is also the most "influential" (with Ariel Helwani as 1B maybe) account in MMA.

I am sort of new posting here so I have no idea about Thibs.

Now you're just being thick. Someone who is influential does not have to be a tastemaker. We are all influential. He's the loudest voice.

Obviously. It has been this way for decades. Twitter has only enhanced it since he never stops tweeting.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You have to be Thibs because I repeat, if Dave Meltzer was a tastemaker, Bellator would not  be doing 365,000 viewers avg on Paramount in primetime. He is also the most "influential" (with Ariel Helwani as 1B maybe) account in MMA.

Not talking about MMA. He has been the most influential voice in wrestling for 20 years. His reporting changed our experience as viewers of the entire medium. No one else on wrestling Twitter has had that kind of influence. Why would anyone dispute that at this point?

2 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

I am sort of new posting here so I have no idea about Thibs.

...Right.

3 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

Now you're just being thick. Someone who is influential does not have to be a tastemaker. We are all influential. He's the loudest voice.

That's just bologna.

3 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

Obviously. It has been this way for decades. Twitter has only enhanced it since he never stops tweeting.

The amount of pushback Meltzer gets from wrestling fans is 100000% greater than he gets from MMA fans (hell, just using the AEW threads here as an example). By that metric, pumping up Bellator should yield them record breaking ratings on Paramount and sold out crowds.

8 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

Not talking about MMA. He has been the most influential voice in wrestling for 20 years. 

Same with MMA. He is the last guy covering MMA from the SEG/Extreme Fighting era (besides like Eddie Goldman who is still around incredibly) and influenced everyone covering MMA. He has more wrestling contemporaries than MMA contemporaries. Guys like Jeff Sherwood, Greg Savage, Josh Gross etc came just after him.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Same with MMA. He is the last guy covering MMA from the SEG era (besides like Eddie Goldman who is still around incredibly) and influenced everyone covering MMA. He has more wrestling contemporaries than MMA contemporaries. Guys like Jeff Sherwood, Greg Savage, Josh Gross etc came just after him.

So wait, you just think this all happened by magic then? Dave's tweet had nothing to do with this? Not clear what you're saying tbh.

Just now, peachchaos said:

So wait, you just think this all happened by magic then? Dave's tweet had nothing to do with this? Not clear what you're saying tbh.

If by magic you mean having a diverse stacked card you probably haven't seen since Joshi dome cards in the early to mid 90s and knowing how to promote said card, yes I mean some straight Harry Houdini shit then.

• Haha 1

On one hand, it can't be Thibs because they're saying wild stuff like this...

34 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

this is brand new territory

The fact that they acknowledge progress didn't end in 1999 is good enough for me. Heck, this account is even posting in current WWE threads. That ain't a Thibs move.

But for the sake of fun...

11aS.gif 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If by magic you mean having a diverse stacked card you probably haven't seen since Joshi dome cards in the early to mid 90s and knowing how to promote said card, yes I mean some straight Harry Houdini shit then.

I'm mean that's fair in principle but the card wasn't even announced when the show sold out.

2 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

I'm mean that's fair in principle but the card wasn't even announced when the show sold out.

There were already names attached to the card, which signals how serious the project is. 

And ROH ran similar events with similar talent that didn't move anywhere close to those numbers. No matter how you want to read this narrative, it always starts with

In May 2017, a fan asked Wrestling Observer Newsletter journalist Dave Meltzer on Twitter if Ring of Honor (ROH) could sell 10,000 tickets

not sure why we're even persisting tbh. It was a perfect storm, fair enough? I don't think we'll get anywhere with this chicken/egg stuff.

9 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

And ROH ran similar events with similar talent that didn't move anywhere close to those numbers.

Because it's an entirely different entity. Timing and perception matter. If people saw it as just another goofy indy card and one predicated some on nonsense bet, ain't no sellout.

9 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

not sure why we're even persisting tbh. 

It's less persisting and more you saying some outlandish shit.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Because it's an entirely different entity. Timing and perception matter.

It's less persisting and more you saying some outlandish shit.

Word! The timing coming after Dave's tweet during some of the worst public perception of the WWE in the middle of Jinder Mahal's title reign? 

Thanks for that. Nothing I've said is outlandish unless you're some weird Dave Meltzer denier.