DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

Just now, peachchaos said:

That's right. You don't know who the fuck I am so sit the fuck down.

You're going to be banned within 48 hours most likely if not sooner so you can just imagine that happening.

For what it's worth, he is a long time member of PWO and several people on this board can back that up. And Thibs was pretty anti-Meltzer, this guy doesn't seem to be.

The real question is... do you think AEW needs big names to draw in the mainstream audience? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

For what it's worth, he is a long time member of PWO and several people on this board can back that up. And Thibs was pretty anti-Meltzer, this guy doesn't seem to be.

The real question is... do you think AEW needs big names to draw in the mainstream audience? ;)

Bruh, it has to be storyline driven if you will.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Someone just called Jay Z a guy with one hit song. We already passed Thibsing.

Rap isn't my cup of tea, but I know Jay-Z has had more than one hit, but I couldn't name them.

I did like the Yankees using "New York State of Mind" as sort of an unofficial anthem before Jay-Z had Robbie Cano bolt for Seattle.

Well, to be fair, Jay Z didn't really break into the single digits, album wise, on the UK charts until the following year. Kingdom Come only sold like 100K copies in the UK (compared to 2m in the US).

But, uh, I'm pretty sure he was still massively popular, even if people didn't buy his albums or whatever. Besides, Kings of Leon headlined that year too and that deserves more hate than Jay Z headlining.

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

@peachchaos is ok in my book as long as he doesn't start defending Vince Russo era WCW. You gotta have some standards.

But what if he starts implying what RAW NEEDS IS Russo? ?

And yeah, for what it's worth, @peachchaosisn't @Thibs. He's a PWO regular.

8 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

I would never imply that anyone or anything needs Vince Russo. AEW is shaping up quite nicely without any of that nonsense. Scorpio is a nice addition, always worth a look. 

That was a joke :P

• Like 1

Damn..  Jay-Z was on my radar in like '96 I think Reasonable Doubt and by 1998 he was pretty much a household name when "Can I get A..."  and "Hard Knock Life" were in heavy rotation.  

So with this recent Ibushi interview it seems like NJPW and AEW are far apart on any deals at this point.  I'm okay with that. I'd prefer the NJPW/ROH relationship to continue and AEW just be its own thing for now.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Damn..  Jay-Z was on my radar in like '96 I think Reasonable Doubt and by 1998 he was pretty much a household name when "Can I get A..."  and "Hard Knock Life" were in heavy rotation.  

So with this recent Ibushi interview it seems like NJPW and AEW are far apart on any deals at this point.  I'm okay with that. I'd prefer the NJPW/ROH relationship to continue and AEW just be its own thing for now.  

Unless Jericho was dropping a red herring by saying he doesn't know if he ever will be in New Japan again, I think it's pretty obvious by now. I think it's going to be quite awhile before we see some type of olive branch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

It needs big names to its core audience, and one top-level WWE defection, such as an Ambrose or Orton.   It's going to have to grow the way ECW did as well, which will take time (they have the benefit of not having to worry about bouncing checks).   I think there's a path to success for AEW, but it's not going to be easy, and even if they do everything right it's still a 50% chance of failure.

If AEW really wanted to play hardball with NJPW, they could try raiding NJPW.  I'm sure there are some folks in New Japan who are frustrated with their spot or could be enticed to come to the states.  I'd at least make offers to Okada and White, even if I know 99% odds I'd be turned down.  You could also try to ally with one of New Japan's rivals.  Omega would be a massive asset to any Japanese fed.  You'd torpedo any shot of working with NJPW again, but NJPW seems willing to play hardball.

Realistically, I'd aim for guys like SANADA, Zack (and if you got Zack try to get Taka/Taichi to come along), Despy, Henare, Finlay, KES. 

• Like 1

What's the formula on that one?

So long as their overhead isn't ridiculous, I can't imagine it would be too hard to be sustainable. But again, almost all of this hinges on the TV deal. Monthly PPVs in big venues are nice but they won't be enough long term.

22 minutes ago, alstein said:

If AEW really wanted to play hardball with NJPW, they could try raiding NJPW.  I'm sure there are some folks in New Japan who are frustrated with their spot or could be enticed to come to the states.  I'd at least make offers to Okada and White, even if I know 99% odds I'd be turned down.  You could also try to ally with one of New Japan's rivals.  Omega would be a massive asset to any Japanese fed.  You'd torpedo any shot of working with NJPW again, but NJPW seems willing to play hardball.

Realistically, I'd aim for guys like SANADA, Zack (and if you got Zack try to get Taka/Taichi to come along), Despy, Henare, Finlay, KES. 

That wouldn't be a bright idea because you're assuming everything will be peachy once you get up and running. You already have WWE on your tail, why make your already fractured relationship even worse?  Plus, New Japan is the market leader in their own country and has their own loyal audience. There are guys in New Japan (and WWE) who likely would not give up their spot there for something that in time could fall flat on its face. Moreover, someone who would be unhappy in AEW could jump to New Japan the moment the opportunity presents itself. I wouldn't recommend blatant talent poaching unless you're willing for your talent to get poached as well.

Wait wait wait, was there really a time in the U.K. where Jay Z was really only known because of his spouse?

Edit: He had either 19 or 20 top 40 hits in the U.K. by the time he played Glastonbury, I'm too lazy to see if Swagga Like Us hit the top forty before or after the festival.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That wouldn't be a bright idea because you're assuming everything will be peachy once you get up and running. You already have WWE on your tail, why make your already fractured relationship even worse?  Plus, New Japan is the market leader in their own country and has their own loyal audience. There are guys in New Japan (and WWE) who likely would not give up their spot there for something that in time could fall flat on its face. Moreover, someone who would be unhappy in AEW could jump to New Japan the moment the opportunity presents itself. I wouldn't recommend blatant talent poaching unless you're willing for your talent to get poached as well.

AEW would have an advantage in that their main talent are all owners except for Page.   You're right most folks would not give up their spot.  This is why I said I'd expect Okada and White to turn it down, and I wouldn't even try with Naito.  I'd only be trying with Okada because he's good friends with the Elite, and White because I think he's that good and has a built in story with Kenny.  You'd need to offer millions to both for them to even consider. 

I was looking at guys who would hit or have hit the glass ceiling in NJPW, have a skillset that would work well in what I think AEW is going to be, and might be ambitious enough to jump. 

I guess trying to selectively get talent who are willing to jump isn't really what folks think of as a raid, but NJPW would be a fertile place to get really good talent that wants to be something more than their slot.   NJPW has glass ceilings of their own.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wait wait wait, was there really a time in the U.K. where Jay Z was really only known because of his spouse?

Edit: He had either 19 or 20 top 40 hits in the U.K. by the time he played Glastonbury, I'm too lazy to see if Swagga Like Us hit the top forty before or after the festival.

He was a big name among people who were really into rap music. But in terms of mainstream fame, Sun readers would be hard pressed to name Beyonce's husband at that point. Kanye was far more famous at that time. Notwithstanding once it became a news story that lots of people were not happy about it, on TV people were pronouncing it Jay Zed. Wouldn't happen to a household name, that.

Jay himself took the complaints as a racial thing. It (largely) wasn't. Public Enemy headlined Reading in 1992 and nobody had a problem with that, because they were a headline level act. Jay-Z became a big name in the UK largely thanks to the Glastonbury deal. He's very lucky he didn't have a bad show that night.

• Like 2

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic