DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

I don't see the issue with Dave calling AEW the No. 2 company. I liken it to college football preseason top 25 rankings. Oklahoma or whoever might come into the season ranked No. 1, but that could change once the games start. At this point, given the money they're throwing around, plans for TV they're allegedly making, etc. I don't think it's outrageous to call them No. 2 behind WWE.

When I was a teen, I had plans to marry Winona Ryder. As it turns out, that wasn't enough to seal the deal.

• Like 1

Just now, Ace said:

They won't announce a deal until Double or Nothing at the very earliest. 

That would be great as we could continue to bother Casey who seems to be annoyed by 95% of the discussions on this board (73% WCW comparisons from 20 years ago and 22% AEW TV deal).

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

When I was a teen, I had plans to marry Winona Ryder. As it turns out, that wasn't enough to seal the deal.

You probably should have stolen something and sent it to her. I think she would have appreciated that. 

• Like 2

The US is going to get some top matches this year- they are running the opening night of the G1 this year in Dallas.  You'll probably get something like Naito vs Tanahashi main event.

Given that 40% of NJPW World's viewership is American, they should be running 1-2 significant shows a year here and occasionally sending guys over to spot shows/ROH events.   The Charlotte show did feel a lot like a NJPW house show despite the lack of Japanese, and if Ishii and Nagata showed up it would have been perfect.

AEW is going to have to win me over. I had plans to hit CEO, but other people's vacations messed with it.  Kenny doing spotfests that aren't on par with his best NJPW matches won't cut it.

21 minutes ago, alstein said:

The US is going to get some top matches this year- they are running the opening night of the G1 this year in Dallas.  You'll probably get something like Naito vs Tanahashi main event.

Given that 40% of NJPW World's viewership is American, they should be running 1-2 significant shows a year here and occasionally sending guys over to spot shows/ROH events.   The Charlotte show did feel a lot like a NJPW house show despite the lack of Japanese, and if Ishii and Nagata showed up it would have been perfect.

AEW is going to have to win me over. I had plans to hit CEO, but other people's vacations messed with it.  Kenny doing spotfests that aren't on par with his best NJPW matches won't cut it.

He, Kota, Naito, and Hiromu almost killed each other multiple times in their CEO match from last year. I don't think he's going to halfass his vanity project.

I was there for that and it was awesome!  Wish I could go this year- CEO's a great event all-around!   I'm not worried about Kenny halfassing it.  I'm worried that Kenny will fully embrace his inner spot monkey with someone who can't keep up, or they'll book like Hiromu after stealing some brownies from SANADA's stash.  ^_^

Cross posting from Puro thread since it is somewhat related and we talked about Kenny/Ibushi earlier. Ibushi did his interview and Charlton guy translated it on his twitter thread:

We can never take things for granted in these interviews and who knows who is working who, but:

1. I find it super weird that Ibushi and Kenny haven't spoken since Wrestle Kingdom and that Kenny wasn't involved at all with Ibushi/AEW negotiations. Ibushi is a weird person in general, but this again makes me question how real their friendship actually is.

2. He basically says that he'd die as a wrestler in AEW and couldn't "develop" further. He also says that he is exclusive to NJPW, wants to retire in NJPW and that his wrestling school/institute is on hold. This might be simply him trying to present himself as NJPW loyalist, but it also doesn't really match up with things that were thrown around like his school/institute thing being important part of this deal (and Omega I think mentioned it as one of the reasons why Ibushi isn't with AEW now).

As I said, we can't say for sure who is working who here, but all of this doesn't really form a cohesive picture to me.

Cody also tweeted the usual good luck/don't settle encouragement. I don't know. It seems like you'd want to give Tye a few months to prove himself on the indies first, and build whatever buzz he can. Currently he strikes me as pretty replacement level, and "WWE wasted him!" isn't a character trait. I'd love to be shown more than that though, and I don't think there'd be any risk in waiting a few months.

Just now, alstein said:

Tye Dillinger is exactly the kind of guy you don't want to be picking up as AEW, except as enhancement/lower-midcard talent.  He just has no real value to a national company other than roster filler.

The world needs ditch diggers too...

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out in my head the timeline for how All In happened. So, first Cody and the Bucks say they're going to run the show, then they announce the building and date. Then tickets go on sale and sell out, and at some point Fite TV, Honour Club, regular PPV companies, NJPW World and WGN America all come in to air it (or the pre-show in WGN's case). And they add the convention the day before as well. But how did that actually happen? It was originally a one off house show by a first time promoter, and they didn't announce the card or even the roster until the ball was already rolling pretty far and pretty fast. Stephen Amell is a draw beyond wrestling fans, but it was already a success before he was announced, right?

Because looking back at it, how much of a draw The Elite were to ROH and NJPW-USA, how it was basically only promoted on YouTube and twitter, All In should not have happened the way it did. It should have been a minor success that broke even or turned a small profit. It shouldn't have been Indie Wrestlemania.

• Like 1