DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I think the Meltzer line, as silly and clumsy as it was, came before the Jericho signing. 

It did, but even still...

I mean it's funny because of the guys that they have, I mean, ah, those guys don't, err, most of those guys don't even drink, you know what I mean?

most of those guys don't even drink, you know what I mean?

most of those guys don't even drink, you know what I mean?

most of those guys don't even drink

you know what I mean?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I think Dave says a lot of out of touch and dumb things, but this doesn't even crack the top 100 of dumb things he's said. He's making an inference that maybe a wellness policy isn't needed because if most of these guys don't drink then one can also assume they're living cleanly in other ways as well. He doesn't double down on this assumption, but does make the attempt to couch his opinion by saying that the road can change people so if it becomes a problem then maybe they'll wind up have a policy after all.

This is so far from Dave saying that "no one drinks so they won't need a wellness policy."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Jericho/Meltzer interview... Jericho-saaaaan said that he's been told that Vince is basically in the mindset of being at war with AEW. Nothing really new in there but he was very critical of NJPW's US expansion, which was interesting and he wasn't wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

he was very critical of NJPW's US expansion, which was interesting and he wasn't wrong. 

It would sounded like he had to stop himself from going even further with his criticism at the end of that particular segment. For a guy who only did 3 or 4 appearances, he had a bunch of shit to say and pick apart (didn't really disagree with any of it though). Doesn't sound like he is a fan of the Harold Meij regime.

I giggled a little bit when he talked about Excalibur. I like how the masked commentator thing was a hang-up for him.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It would sounded like he had to stop himself from going even further with his criticism at the end of that particular segment. For a guy who only did 3 or 4 appearances, he had a bunch of shit to say and pick apart (didn't really disagree with any of it though). Doesn't sound like he is a fan of the Harold Meij regime.

He's not the only one. Kenny in his interview didn't sound like a fan of Meij as well, but he was at lease more diplomatic sounding about it. Jericho just doesn't give any fucks though.

You know what though, they're not wrong. NJPW has fucked up multiple times with this US expansion. I mean, right from the jump the screwed up running a tiny building for their first US show as part of this expansion when clearly they could have run a bigger building and that was the main complaint at that time. Then for other shows they were either under promoted, waited WAY too late to acquire visas for their wrestlers, or whatever.

Does NJPW even have a US office aside from their dojo here? Do they have a US figurehead or is it just Meij trying to manage all of this shit or did they delegate those responsibilities to ROH?

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He's not the only one. Kenny in his interview didn't sound like a fan of Meij as well, but he was at lease more diplomatic sounding about it. Jericho just doesn't give any fucks though.

You know what though, they're not wrong. NJPW has fucked up multiple times with this US expansion. I mean, right from the jump the screwed up running a tiny building for their first US show as part of this expansion when clearly they could have run a bigger building and that was the main complaint at that time. Then for other shows they were either under promoted, waited WAY too late to acquire visas for their wrestlers, or whatever.

Does NJPW even have a US office aside from their dojo here? Do they have a US figurehead or is it just Meij trying to manage all of this shit or did they delegate those responsibilities to ROH?

Funny I didn't think Omega sounded critical at all. Maybe I wasn't listening that hard, but it sounded like Omega wanted that door to be left open just a little bit (although after the first portion he talked about New Japan in past tense FWIW). If you didn't know better, you would think Jericho was doing tours in Japan like it's 1995. It was hard in the paint.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

It is easy to speak years later that maybe they should have ran a bigger building on their first USA show. I don't really remember anyone talking about it before they released the tickets and had quick sell out.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

It is easy to speak years later that maybe they should have ran a bigger building on their first USA show. I don't really remember anyone talking about it before they released the tickets and had quick sell out.

I believe Meltzer said they should be running a bigger building, and I think that was right when tickets were going on sale. Don't think it was a complaint as much as a compliment though.

I think Jericho's specific criticism was them not doing a big building after that (like the Forum or Staples) and having these shows (I believe the events that just had the visa issues) at smaller venues. He was also fairly critical about them not canceling the events when they couldn't get the Japanese talent. He was also critical of them not announcing matches for the shows as well.

The one thing that irked me on the first show, and I posted about it at that time, they ran an exhibition hall at the Long Beach convention center. In the same facility, same venue, there is a 13,000 capacity arena. I highly doubt it was booked in advance, and I don’t remember any event there at the time. Why not as soon as the show sold out so quickly, move over to the much larger venue and find out what your ceiling is? Couldn’t have cost much more and it would have been super profitable. I also thought they should have tried booking the forum in Inglewood for the second show. 

It seems like they were unwilling to make moves or changes from initial plans, even when it came to announcing cards too late, time after time. Frustrating to watch. And then you had people like Tanahashi discussing it, with a super clear understanding of American fans and exactly what we like about new japan, and the bosses have no understanding of it and keep repeating mistakes time and again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Meanwhile, today's episode of BTE was very funny. Love that Cody A E Dub high five and the Kenny signing sketch. 

It really was.  Personal highlights included.

• The MJF / steak skit
  • A wild Scott Steiner appearance, "thats right you cant see... because your blind!"
  • The latest major show "surprise run in", being truly larger than life.
  • A random Lil Cholo appearance
  • Scorpio running in, saving Joey Ryan, realising it was Joey and going "come on Joey... again????"

If it leads to random indy guys attacking Joey Ryan to try and get on BTE or AEW then I'm all for it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EVA said:

I'm glad they finally acknowledged that the Janela bits have sucked.

I don't think they have.

I like they acknowledged their critics saying "AEW is just a t-shirt company". The build to the eventual Cody vs. MJF match has been great. I can't wait for the moment Cody realizes MJF is not the salt of the earth.

• Like 3

That is going to be fucking AWESOME. Cody is so gosh darn likeable on these shows and he is the perfect foil for prick MJF. Not only did he punk out Pharaoh but he also wasted meat. WON'T ANYBODY THINK OF THE COW?! Biggest heel in wrestling.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe Meltzer said they should be running a bigger building, and I think that was right when tickets were going on sale. Don't think it was a complaint as much as a compliment though.

I think Jericho's specific criticism was them not doing a big building after that (like the Forum or Staples) and having these shows (I believe the events that just had the visa issues) at smaller venues. He was also fairly critical about them not canceling the events when they couldn't get the Japanese talent. He was also critical of them not announcing matches for the shows as well.

After that they did Walter Pyramid that sold out. Then they did Cow Palace that didn't sell out. Then they did Walter Pyramid again that didn't sell out either. So whats the idea here exactly? That they should have done Cow Palace immediately instead of Walter Pyramid? I don't see how that fundamentally changes anything.

That the criticism was also tied to how poorly a job they've done in advertising their cards. I know they wait until previous tours tie up to announce future line-ups but it makes life way harder in America. Announcing at least some big matches ahead of time to go along with the bigger venues would give the fans a chance to plan trips rather than not being sure because who knows what will be on the card. I know that the majority of the MSG tickets were bought locally but NJPW's American shows rely a lot on fly-ins regularly.

14 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That the criticism was also tied to how poorly a job they've done in advertising their cards. I know they wait until previous tours tie up to announce future line-ups but it makes life way harder in America. Announcing at least some big matches ahead of time to go along with the bigger venues would give the fans a chance to plan trips rather than not being sure because who knows what will be on the card. I know that the majority of the MSG tickets were bought locally but NJPW's American shows rely a lot on fly-ins regularly.

Exactly this. The thought is that from the start they kneecapped themselves business wise and then have further hindered any possible success they could have in America.

Two years ago we were fucking stoked about a NJPW expansion to the US. How many of us are that thrilled now especially with the recent exodus from NJPW? They've shown that they're not going to promote their shows like they should and it's almost treated like an afterthought.

I still love NJPW, but I've pretty much given up on any sort of meaningful US expansion. There's still no discussion about them getting any kind of TV deal beyond what they already have, it looks like there's little leadership for any of these US shows (I still can't believe they waited so long to get work visas filed to the point where nothing could happen due to the government shutdown), and it all feels like the direction is now to basically do what ROH did in the past with bringing in some foreign workers for spots here and there.

25 minutes ago, Archibald said:

After that they did Walter Pyramid that sold out. Then they did Cow Palace that didn't sell out. Then they did Walter Pyramid again that didn't sell out either. So whats the idea here exactly? That they should have done Cow Palace immediately instead of Walter Pyramid? 

Ran better cards?

Maybe this is conjecture on my part, but I believe that Jericho is the voice of some of the guys who made the jump to AEW who were displeased with New Japan. Why the hell would a semi retired pro wrestler give a damn about a bunch of shows he wasn't going to work anyway?

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

AHAHAHAHAHA, just watched this week's BTE. I about died when Scorpio said, "Let's all get grills! Like Paul Wall!"

A fucking Paul Wall reference on BTE.

The last I heard of Paul Wall is him doing a photo op with Killer Mike (?) showing all the local Houston rappers investing in black banks back during the put your money in black banks kick.

Clearly, Paul Wall's investment will help close the racial wealth gap.