DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

Checked Stubhub on a whim to see what the secondary market for tickets was like and it's basically what I said back in January. There's more tickets available on the secondary market this time around and fucking scumbags are taking the popularity of All In and now this show as a reason to sell upper deck tickets for 4x the amount of face value. It's the same shit as the early NXT Takeovers where these shows are going to be the hot ticket until fans somehow take this shit back.

It just sucks that even with presale codes and all of that you're basically just getting people trying to cash in and there's a bunch of people who legit wanted to go and couldn't. It is what it is and over time this will all level out once people refuse to buy tickets at those absurd prices. I hope that people trying to sell their nosebleed seats for $200+ each wind up having to sell their tickets at face value or less the day of the show.

• Like 2

So has this promotion created the stupid concept of "ticket potential" or is this the first one that treats this like it means something?  Like apparently this show would have gotten over 40,000 people based on some kind of presale thing calculation.    

If I get it right this is how it was calculated:

He based it on the number of people who attempted to buy tickets times the average number of tickets sold per person. So lets say the average person bought 2 tickets and 10,000 people tried to buy tickets then he would have calculated demand at 20,000 tickets.

This assumes lots of things.

Tony Khan was on Jericho's podcast. I don't think there was anything really headline worthy, but:

-He did emphasize once again the importance of wins/losses (no talk of tracking records), a live sports presentation, and high production values.

-He wanted to emphasize that this isn't just indulging his hobby, and he had to pitch his dad on why this was a viable business venture; to that end, they aren't ever going to sign everyone. The plan is to only sign people they have plans for, and not stockpile talent.

-That said, the roster isn't done. There are signed/agreed-to wrestlers who aren't announced yet, and they're still looking. But he's already said no to suggestions, and will have to keep doing so in the future.

-In general, they're more interested in being early on a talent than late. "Fresh" is the idea.

-He really emphasized that the women's roster will look to prioritize workrate.

-When speculating on how to use a roster, the hypothetical tv show length discussed was two hours. Maybe nothing. Maybe not.

-He name drops WAR, Michinoku Pro, Memphis, Mid South, and of course the more famous promotions, just in case we doubt his wrestling nerd credentials. Since he mentions the Midnights and Jim Cornette as all-time favorites, people will inevitably ask Cornette whether he'll get involved and start imagining him managing the Revival. I'm going to do this too. I'm sorry.

-Jericho repeats that he'd never watched Kenny before agreeing to wrestle him, but asked AJ, Finn, and Gallows/Anderson, who vouched that he was amazing.

-Jericho says Bobby Eaton is the only guy he's ever wrestled who can call a match spot-by-spot and have it work.

-The plan for this year is to run multiple successful PPVs, and get the TV show going.

-The five year plan is more abstract. Tony wants to be stable, profitable, and trusted as an owner/promoter. He specifically says he wants it to be known that he never lied to Cody, Jericho, The Bucks, etc. Hopefully people will think it's a great place to work and grow as performers, and even if they leave/it doesn't work out, that they were given a fair shot. 

Taken together, he certainly seems enthusiastic. Nothing to really shift opinions, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

It might have not been anything newsworthy with what Tony said but I did like hearing how much of a wrestling fan he is and all the stuff he checked out.  Was a fun listen though I'm starting to get the point where I don't need any more hyping up about how different and exciting this is all going to be.  I'm super hyped as it is and just want to hear more about who else they sign and what matches are slated for the show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It might have not been anything newsworthy with what Tony said but I did like hearing how much of a wrestling fan he is and all the stuff he checked out.  Was a fun listen though I'm starting to get the point where I don't need any more hyping up about how different and exciting this is all going to be.  I'm super hyped as it is and just want to hear more about who else they sign and what matches are slated for the show.

You should hear his interview with Meltzer. Holy shit. Him and Dave were nerding the fuck out over Mid South and old school angles and all kinds of shit.

Basically, Tony Khan is us times infinity because growing up he could basically just get whatever wrestling tapes he wanted to get while the rest of us had to scrape by, buy compilations, trade with shady ass people, etc.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

This morning I got an email, a bunch of Bret Hart designs ive had up on Redbubble for years just got taken dow by Creative Ventures Inc, who I believe own Pro Wrestling Tees. But the subject matter given for the takedown was “all elite wrestling”. 

The same thing happened with a guy with CM Punk designs. The PWT guy said it's because they don't change the headlines on the emails, so all elite just gets lumped in, and it's not indicative of anybody signing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Basically, Tony Khan is us times infinity because growing up he could basically just get whatever wrestling tapes he wanted to get while the rest of us had to scrape by, buy compilations, trade with shady ass people, etc.

It's funny you mention this, because he also claims to Jericho that his dad wouldn't buy him wrestling tapes*, so he had to make himself a valuable part of the trader community with essentially no money, based mostly around his nascent HTML skills.

I'm not sure I believe this, but yeah, the depths of his geekery are clear. He rattles off ECW dates, laments Buddy Landel not being a bigger star, praises the Rhodes/Shield tag, talks about tracking down WCW C-show footage on sketchy streaming sites, etc. There is a non zero chance he's reading this right now. Hi, Tony.

*Don't feel too bad for him, though. His dad did buy Tony an ECW ticket and fly him there on a private jet for getting into a prestigious junior high.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You should hear his interview with Meltzer. Holy shit. Him and Dave were nerding the fuck out over Mid South and old school angles and all kinds of shit.

The Jericho interview alone made me a believer but I can't wait to check this out.  It's at least great to know that the guy owning this gives a shit and knows what it's like to be a fan.

And going off what Beech said I'm very certain unless proven otherwise he is or was a member of the board.  No idea who it would be but I'd narrow it down to whoever is/was trading/selling comps and go from there.

And @Nice Guy Eddie if that was true then I will laugh uproariously knowing he got pretty much all of us pretty good.  But Tony is a very smart guy whereas Thibs showed he was anything but.  So unless he was really good at acting incredibly obtuse then I'm not sure it was him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dewar said:

FSW wasn't Punk.

That's correct, but it's clear Punk lurked or lurks here. So have plenty of others. I wouldn't be at all shocked if one of you is Conrad Thompson. Conrad AGAIN referenced the sleaze thread a week or so ago and I think referenced it on multiple podcasts that week. Not the first time he's brought it up either. He's also referenced some really old DVDVR deep cuts too, like green board era.

Oh yeah, I haven't listed to Tony's interview with Jericho, but when talking with Meltzer, he did bring up RSPW and the RSPW FAQ too. At this point, I'm just waiting to hear him say something about Bayley being female Eugene.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh yeah, I haven't listed to Tony's interview with Jericho, but when talking with Meltzer, he did bring up RSPW and the RSPW FAQ too. At this point, I'm just waiting to hear him say something about Bayley being female Eugene.

Kind of unrelated but this almost makes me want to come up with some kind of DVDVR Bingo.  If such a thing were to exist it'd be fun to see what to add to the board.  Would come in most handy everytime there's a long thread about something.

• Like 1

Well, we do know pretty much for a fact that Punk at least somewhat followed the board, because of him making the FSW joke. I'd guess he probably doesn't anymore given that he seemed to try pretty hard to sever all ties to wrestling. 

But really, we're a couple generations deep now of wrestlers who grew up on boards and RSPW and (God help us all) wreddit.

Guest The Magnificent 7
32 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, we do know pretty much for a fact that Punk at least somewhat followed the board, because of him making the FSW joke. I'd guess he probably doesn't anymore given that he seemed to try pretty hard to sever all ties to wrestling. 

But really, we're a couple generations deep now of wrestlers who grew up on boards and RSPW and (God help us all) wreddit.

Wait, what?

As the person responsible for the FSW name change how have I never heard of this?

Please explain. 

4 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Wait, what?

As the person responsible for the FSW name change how have I never heard of this?

Please explain. 

On Twitter one day, someone asked Punk if he read DVDVR.  He replied "Yes, I post there as Fat Spanish Waiter."

EDIT: or, as Beech posted, it was FSW himself.

5 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Wait, what?

Please explain. 

Okay, the quick story: Punk was doing a Q&A deal on Twitter in 2013. He was asked "is it true you lurk on DVDVR?"

If you follow the link, you'll see the original questioner explain it to people, etc. And it's all weird and funny.

But the real punchline, that djdobbo declines to mention, is that he is FSW.

Even before Punk made that joke Tweet, the "Punk lurks DVDVR" rumor has to date back to at least 2005. I remember people saying they tape traded with him from this board.

Granted, there were a lot of small offshoots and weird connections to this board over the years.

Guest The Magnificent 7

That’s hilarious. 

Feels so long ago I cannot even remember the match we had the username bet on. And I always wonder if he won what he would have had me change my name to. Ha.