DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

10 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I'm trying to think of exceptions to this--Giant Baba, maybe?

Baba's probably the only example I can think of, where a worker (potentially with a high opinion of themselves) DIDN't book themselves as the center of the world when they're past it.  Wrestling is riddled with guys booking around themselves to the detriment of the promotion (Cody's Dad included), so it's not out of the realm of possibility that when things start going bleak, the plethora of EVP's will start trying to book around themselves to fix things and possibly start clashing amonst themselves over WHO should be the man.  I mean shit, part of this whole promotion's existance is because The Elite felt they didn't have ENOUGH control over themselves despite 2 major promotions booking EVERYTHING around them for 2 years.

Part of this promotion's existence is based around Tony Khan wanting a good wrestling promotion instead of the fucking shitshow that is WWE week in and week out. The other part of it has nothing to do with the Bucks or Cody or Kenny not having enough control. The Bucks want tag team wrestling to mean something and know it can mean something and their options were to stay in NJPW where they have little exposure here in the states, go to WWE where they can look at what the entire scene is there, or be part of a wrestling promotion co-op where they can make sure that tag wrestling matters AND have exposure in the states. Cody knows that wins and losses should matter, same with Kenny, and again it's the same thing. You either stay in NJPW where your exposure is minimal here, go to WWE where the booking is frequently 50/50 filled garbage, or run your own promotion. They trust themselves enough to think they can deliver a better alternative to what WWE offers.

I honestly don't see why any of that makes anyone think they're just always going to book themselves on top because that's going to be to the detriment of the company. They know that's a big part of what killed WCW, they know that not building multiple stars is hurting WWE now, they know what happened in TNA, so why would they follow that same script?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Baba's probably the only example I can think of, where a worker (potentially with a high opinion of themselves) DIDN't book themselves as the center of the world when they're past it.  Wrestling is riddled with guys booking around themselves to the detriment of the promotion (Cody's Dad included), so it's not out of the realm of possibility that when things start going bleak, the plethora of EVP's will start trying to book around themselves to fix things and possibly start clashing amonst themselves over WHO should be the man.  I mean shit, part of this whole promotion's existance is because The Elite felt they didn't have ENOUGH control over themselves despite 2 major promotions booking EVERYTHING around them for 2 years.

I mean look at WWE. Vince, and his family still think people want to see heel authority angles in the main event starring them. Sure people like watching that Vince major announcement promo, but that’s because they think something big is happening, and not because they want to see more McMahon’s. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Tell to Brock or Reigns that wins and loses do not matter.

I would say that to Roman, but not to Brock. Roman goes out and does what he's told. That consistently had Roman lose and then would turn around and give him a title shot. It was sometime after WM 31 where he lost and then got a title shot. How does that make any sense? Roman knows how this all works and to an extent, so does Brock, but Vince is apparently very reluctant to have Brock lose.

Cena famously cut a promo essentially saying wins and losses don't matter.

Multiple people on the writing staff, current and former, have talked about how wins and losses don't matter.

There was a time where they believed that whoever was champion didn't matter.

That is the WWE style. Ultimately they come up with some kind of a plan and on your way to that plan you are going to win and lose along the way because we know you can take a loss and this other person needs a win, but when you rematch then this other person should lose because they just beat you the last time. Oh, and yes, at the end of this story you're going to get a title shot, but we're going to have you lose AND get your ass kicked on the go home show so people don't expect you to win the title.

Definitely need a clarification on this one

Either he is talking about the OWE guys that most people haven't followed,  guys that most people know that Dave thinks nobody has heard of because they weren't PWG/New Japan guys, or he is talking about actual complete unknowns to be prelim guys.  Which if the final is true then that is truly idiotic. 

So Jungle Boy would be making six figures? If so, yikes... I mean, it's cool more people are getting the big bucks, but throwing six figures at virtual unknown people is not that great of an idea.

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

So Jungle Boy would be making six figures? If so, yikes... I mean, it's cool more people are getting the big bucks, but throwing six figures at virtual unknown people is not that great of an idea.

That is why I put the part about guys Dave thinks nobody knows.  Like I am picturing him talking about this brand new never seen before talent like the Ugly Ducklings or Arik Royal or Gary Jay.  Guys that most hardcore fans know pretty well but maybe the Bullet Club fans in their bubble have no clue who they are.  But even they don't deserve 6 figures.  

Maybe Dave is using the stuff after the decimal places ?

Mojo has some good heel stuff but yeah, a year or two working indies would probably help him out. Seems like they’re trying to do something with those mirror promos now though. And count me in as a non-fan of the Rascalz. Nothing against them but I find them annoying and an instant skip when I watch Impact (which should tell you something). I’d say Aussie Open could be a good addition, they have a similar dynamic to the Lucha Bros.

Interesting discussion and I'm a fan of the forward thinking. I just don't want to get too caught up on a potential of selfish booking before we even have a sample size of how they'd book television.

I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other. Maybe we get a ten year reign of Cody as champion. Bucks could have a dominant run, rightfully so because they're so hot right now, and that ends up ruffling some feathers. I guess I'm as excited either way. I'm pumped for the competitive wrestling we'll see this year and maybe the funny behind the scene drama in the future. Both from the WWE and AEW. Let's say in a year or less they get Brock and that leads to annoying drama. Or some free agent signs and expects the world and losses to Kenny regularly. Or even the Elite group having creative in-fighting. Maybe even Kahn doesn't even resign them in four or so years and the company looks drastically different. Like sand through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives.

• Like 1

Doom Patrol seem to be done with EVOLVE. That's a tag team AEW should be looking at.

The Dirty Daddy needs to be on TV asap.

Stokley Hathaway seems to be free, too.

I like Kenny a lot, but I think it's fair to wonder, in light of the Observer Radio interview, how much creative control could possibly be enough for him. New Japan let him essentially book angles and matches, set his own schedule, and gave him the title. And yet, he seems to feel as if they didn't appreciate him nearly enough.

I'm still optimistic, though, and I don't worry about the Bucks or Cody.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Oh man, do I have to play the traditional heavyweight advocate in the new thread? I’ve seen where this path can lead. So umm... I’ll just say little guys are sometimes best highlighted when working big guys; and I think the BTE set likes beef just fine anyway. But yeah they shouldn’t sign people to fill templates; they should sign people they can use, and then use them that way. 

I'll echo this and say that if you put a Luke Harper or a Killian Dain or Beer City Bruiser in front of these fans, they'd go for it. Big men rule. Clashes of size and style rule. 

Also, the new big, dumb rumour is that AEW may be pursuing Batista. Grain of salt and all that. 

If you’re planning to try for tickets the waiting room is open right now. Tickets sold through axs. They let you fill in all your info and pre-select the amount of tix and price level you want, which is cool but they mention this isn’t a guarantee that you will get them. We’ll see how it goes. 

39 minutes ago, matt925 said:

If you’re planning to try for tickets the waiting room is open right now. Tickets sold through axs. They let you fill in all your info and pre-select the amount of tix and price level you want, which is cool but they mention this isn’t a guarantee that you will get them. We’ll see how it goes. 

Had to settle for upper level, oh well.