DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yuka Sakazaki came into wrestling not knowing much of anything about it, presumably like Mojo did. I don't understand the calling out of his "passion" for wrestling, or lack thereof, when we have no real knowledge of that. Lots of people came into wrestling, not even fans of it, but they became fans of it. Sonya Deville was one of those, actually.

AJ Fucking Styles openly admits he only went into wrestling because he thought he could make a lot of money.

"By the time I for out there was no money, it was too late. I was in love with wrestling" or something to that effect.

-----------

Mojo is a good athlete, and he's got a really high IQ. I think he's a guy that could figure this stuff out with the right opportunity. And his promos are really good.

14 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

With the emphasis on tag team wrestling being a big part of the company, what are some hot-right-now teams available that you guys could reasonably see be brought in? 

Desmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz would fit right in, but I don't know if they have actual contracts with Impact or not.

• Like 1

No Dezmond Xavier in this match. It's Wentz and Miguel for The Rascalz.

This was a really fun 10 man tag with The Rascalz, Rich Swann, and Willie Mack vs. oVe, Matt Sydal, and Ethan Page. I would have posted the full match if it were up.

Ohhh. I saw them at F1rst against LAX. Started out with a lot of wiener-related humor but really picked up into a good back and forth match. Plus, I think they were working with OWE for a bit. If there isn't contract issues they could be fun and fit in. 

Thanks, Eddie. Not a fan at all. Some cringey spots in that match, particularly Wentz's 1v2 hot tag at the end.

And that SMASH commentator is way too Canadian. Everything ended with a "here" or "there" lol.

12 hours ago, Goodear said:

Honestly how people think that making the boys also management isn't going to lead to issues down the line when its time to shift the focus of the company away from Kenny, Cody and the Bucks escapes me.  Because when the going gets tough, the workers with power put the focus on what they can control the most, themselves.  I think that's proven to be universal.

I'm trying to think of exceptions to this--Giant Baba, maybe?

Odinson has a Norse name and Thor's hammer tattoo'd on his chest. Antifa will throw a fit, man.

I liked Parrow as Evolve's big scary mean guy for a bit there. Clunky but there's something there to work with. I agree though, they need more big boys and fewer Rascalz. The tag division will likely be in its first stage until The Revival show up and then it'll really get going. 

I definitely don't think they should just sign big dudes to have big dudes, but if they can find one or two talented hosses, it would be cool.

A Vader or Samoa Joe type top throw all these tiny little bump machines around before selling to make them look like world beaters would be great. But only if you get a guy that can go like a Vader/Joe type.

• Like 1

Oh man, do I have to play the traditional heavyweight advocate in the new thread? I’ve seen where this path can lead. So umm... I’ll just say little guys are sometimes best highlighted when working big guys; and I think the BTE set likes beef just fine anyway. But yeah they shouldn’t sign people to fill templates; they should sign people they can use, and then use them that way. 

Also: Fun to see BTE playing with the Goldberg rumors from a while ago, and interesting that they’re... building to Candice saving Joey Ryan? Or not? Maybe? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck getting tickets. Hopefully whatever website you have go through for this venue is better than the Sears Center, which was a shit show because it got overwhelmed with a couple minutes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Good luck getting tickets. Hopefully whatever website you have go through for this venue is better than the Sears Center, which was a shit show because it got overwhelmed with a couple minutes. 

Thanks. The presale codes went through this company called lyte, google says it’s a peer to peer re-selling site. We’ll see how it goes, it’s gonna sell out very quickly. 

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Oh man, do I have to play the traditional heavyweight advocate in the new thread? I’ve seen where this path can lead. So umm... I’ll just say little guys are sometimes best highlighted when working big guys; and I think the BTE set likes beef just fine anyway. But yeah they shouldn’t sign people to fill templates; they should sign people they can use, and then use them that way. 

Also: Fun to see BTE playing with the Goldberg rumors from a while ago, and interesting that they’re... building to Candice saving Joey Ryan? Or not? Maybe? 

Poor Joey Janela. The magic, carpentry, and farming haven't worked out at all. I loved the nod to the New Day with pancakes in the slop bucket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Mojo after his heel turn was cutting raaaad promos. I don't know if he's still not any good in the ring but you can work with a big ol' football player with promo skills like that. He'd be a great bully heel foil to the smaller babyfaces AEW is chock-full of.

He is an ok singles wrestler, solid tag wrestler. A run outside of WWE or even a return to NXT/PC as a heel could probably see him grow a decent bit as a singles wrestler.

22 hours ago, Dewar said:

How does one "trust" the Khans? At this point, they are money marks with a massive chequebook. Let's not forget they have already walked back the "our employees will all have health coverage" stuff.

WWE has been just fine with gay performers. They made a mention of Darren Young coming out of the closet, and referenced Sonya being gay once. No attempt to "praise be Stephanie" for hiring them. There is plenty of shit to criticize WWE about. Can we stop just making shit up?

They're money marks who also have a history of standing up against bigots.  I agree with Oyaji about it not being 100% altruistic, my eyes are open, but I also believe Kenny really means it on his inclusiveness from seeing how he interacted with folks at CEO, and how he handled the sex offender screw up (which really was more on Jebailey IMO as I think he was handling that and Jebailey didn't fully know what he was getting into- and tore his Achilles on top of it)

The Rascalz are not good. Generic indy Jr.'s who wear kickpads, do backflips and blatantly thigh slap themselves on phony weak looking strikes. I know I described a lot of US indy workers, but these guys are as generic as they come.

A good, but not great heel tag team that would stand out in AEW would be the Dirty Blondes from Florida. They are basically an unknown old school Southern tag team that's only really gotten some exposure on early MLW reboot shows and then disappeared.

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

The Rascalz are not good. Generic indy Jr.'s who wear kickpads, do backflips and blatantly thigh slap themselves on phony weak looking strikes. I know I described a lot of US indy workers, but these guys are as generic as they come.

A good, but not great heel tag team that would stand out in AEW would be the Dirty Blondes from Florida. They are basically an unknown old school Southern tag team that's only really gotten some exposure on early MLW reboot shows and then disappeared.

The Dirty Blondes are still in MLW here and there. Most recently, they jobbed to Barrington Hughes and Ace Romero.