DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling 2019

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

According to Meltzer they can't sign a contract with anyone because of the LU deal, everything with AEW, Impact, MLW, etc are per appearance stuff.

Judging from what Kenny was saying on WOR, one of the main goals of AEW is to bring in every great talent they can find and work out a deal for, not necessarily getting them under contract, but running unique, cool matches.

What Kenny said on WOR is pretty interesting and somewhat admirable but going back to someone saying this could fall apart in three years due to egos, I think that would be it as far as ego is concerned rather than Cody and the other braintrust falling out. All In worked because they were able to put everyone over strong for the most part and I don't think anyone was really concerned about their guy being buried. People are expecting real feuds and not one off matches just to satisfy those who want to see the best matches. That would play an integral part in who has a working relationship with AEW. If everyone has their hands in the pot, that has a major impact on what the booking looks like. If you don't like 50/50 booking now, I certainly fail to see how "everyone is invited!' works to soothe that fear.

• Like 1

@odessasteps I think it was you who mentioned in the previous thread that the "guys with executive titles" are the only ones that get health insurance, right? If not, apologies. But, anyway, that's technically not true - anyone that does a job backstage will get it, and they're working on getting members of the roster insurance as well. So, example - Billy Gunn, BJ Whitmer, Daniels, etc. all get insurance. It's not just the tippy top people. I get where you're going with that line of thinking, since they said regular roster members would get health coverage. But at least they addressed that and said they're working towards it, instead of just burying their heads in the sand and pretending they never said it.

Phil: Thanks and my apologies for getting drawn in. Now, with that out of the way...

Do we have any info yet on how seriously injured Fenix was last night? The health insurance thing is huge, what it will do is change this nonsense about wrestlers being "independent contractors" and make other companies look at the reality of having to treat these folk as employees (which they are in reality). I have worked as both and I guarandamntee you that anytime I gave up as much control over my activities as WWE demands, I was an employee and getting bennies up the wazoo. 

I find it very amusing that a start-up company run by wrestlers pretty much unknown to the general population of the US may force a nasty billionaire to change the way he does business.

It sucks Fenix was injured, but I'm more of a Penta fan anyway. If Fenix is too hurt to go by the time of DoN then I'd imagine they'll get a replacement for him and have him just manage. 

Also, regarding the health care, what if coverage for injuries are just limited to what occurs in an AEW ring? 

Just now, Craig H said:

It sucks Fenix was injured, but I'm more of a Penta fan anyway. If Fenix is too hurt to go by the time of DoN then I'd imagine they'll get a replacement for him and have him just manage. 

Also, regarding the health care, what if coverage for injuries are just limited to what occurs in an AEW ring? 

As to point two, that's going to be a pretty fine line for the insurance people to look at what with the long-term wear and tear of wrestling, concussions and the like. Anything is better than nothing which is the status quo now. I haven't been in the insurance biz for forty years (and it was just for one summer and I realized that I didn't like having to lie to people), but they have claims adjusters on staff who get paid a shit-ton of money to find ways to weasel out of paying legit claims. This is going to be very interesting to watch to see what company steps up and takes on the risk (which as you can readily see, is a pretty big one.)

I don't plan on watching AEW. That's purely out of a matter of time. But I'm really excited to see this come together. It's a pretty awesome case of workers taking control of their own product. Good for them for doing so. It's a lot different of a rivalry than WCW vs. WWE. This is also "worker vs. corporation" in a literal way, and not the typical WWE construct. 

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I don't plan on watching AEW. That's purely out of a matter of time. But I'm really excited to see this come together. It's a pretty awesome case of workers taking control of their own product. Good for them for doing so. It's a lot different of a rivalry than WCW vs. WWE. This is also "worker vs. corporation" in a literal way, and not the typical WWE construct. 

How does the super rich money mark fit in?

• Like 1

Watching the Ticket Announcement Party and it looks 100 times better than the Jacksonville Rally. The crowd sounds better and there is a ton of people there. Plus it just looks fucking cool by that pool at the MGM. Things are only getting better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

BTW Nyla Roses theme music is the Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn theme

I loved that show. One more reason to like Nyla Rose. For some reason, I ventured elsewhere on the internet in the wee hours of this morning and read what the troglodytes had to say about her. It was nothing that should be repeated anywhere...ever.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Like 1

I trust Kenny and the Khan's on handling Nyla well.   They might be the only wrestling folks I can say that about.

Heard neck muscle contusion for Fenix which is scary but just need rest.  Sounds like he had a really close call.  Hopefully everyone can stay  healthy.

2 hours ago, alstein said:

I trust Kenny and the Khan's on handling Nyla well.   They might be the only wrestling folks I can say that about.

I believe it was mentioned in the last thread but just wanted to echo it here. I'm just thankful they didn't go the route you know WWE would have done of "LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE AND FORWARD THINKING WE ARE! MAKE US TREND ON TWITTER AND TALK ABOUT WHAT A GOOD THING WE ARE DOING! AND ALL CREDIT TO STEPHANE!" Just an announcement of "Hey, here are some wrestlers we signed" and moved on. Points to them for that

• Like 5

How does one "trust" the Khans? At this point, they are money marks with a massive chequebook. Let's not forget they have already walked back the "our employees will all have health coverage" stuff.

WWE has been just fine with gay performers. They made a mention of Darren Young coming out of the closet, and referenced Sonya being gay once. No attempt to "praise be Stephanie" for hiring them. There is plenty of shit to criticize WWE about. Can we stop just making shit up?

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I loved that show. One more reason to like Nyla Rose. For some reason, I ventured elsewhere on the internet in the wee hours of this morning and read what the troglodytes had to say about her. It was nothing that should be repeated anywhere...ever.

I'm really glad this is the only place I read wrestling stuff then.

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

How does the super rich money mark fit in?

He's the one getting ripped off by the workers.  

Honestly how people think that making the boys also management isn't going to lead to issues down the line when its time to shift the focus of the company away from Kenny, Cody and the Bucks escapes me.  Because when the going gets tough, the workers with power put the focus on what they can control the most, themselves.  I think that's proven to be universal.

5 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I'm really glad this is the only place I read wrestling stuff then.

This place and Wrestling Classics is pretty much all anyone needs and both places are delightfully free of the knuckle-draggers that seem to infest wrestling fandom elsewhere. In fact, thanks to Rippa's decisive actions yesterday in the Thibs situation, this place just got immeasurably better! Kudos to Fightin' Phil! 

• Like 4