DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

So wait are we saying it is possible that we will have the XFL, USFL, and the Spring League running at the same time?  Actually 4 since I assume the CFL will run around that time. 

You would really have to suck not to make a pro team now 

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

So wait are we saying it is possible that we will have the XFL, USFL, and the Spring League running at the same time?  Actually 4 since I assume the CFL will run around that time. 

You would really have to suck not to make a pro team now 

The USFL 2.0 is basically a rebranded Spring League.

• 2 weeks later...

The European League is set to kick off this week.

https://europeanleague.football/schedule

Classic WLAF/NFL Europe/NFL Europa names have been resurrected including the Frankfurt Galaxy and Barcelona Dragons.  (The Hamburg Sea Devils, Berlin Thunder and Cologne Centurions are also back but they're not exactly classic names).  No London Monarchs or Amsterdam Admirals yet, but I live in hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The European League is set to kick off this week.

https://europeanleague.football/schedule

Classic WLAF/NFL Europe/NFL Europa names have been resurrected including the Frankfurt Galaxy and Barcelona Dragons.  (The Hamburg Sea Devils, Berlin Thunder and Cologne Centurions are also back but they're not exactly classic names).  No London Monarchs or Amsterdam Admirals yet, but I live in hope.

Didn't they use to have teams in San Antonio and Sacramento?   Or was a different version of the league

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Didn't they use to have teams in San Antonio and Sacramento?   Or was a different version of the league

Yes, in the original World League format before it was totally based in Europe.  The Surge name is now being used by Stuttgart.  Apart from having sold or negotiated the use of the old names there doesn't seem to be any overt NFL involvement in this league.

Edit: Found a link, yes it's just a naming use agreement.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/ex-nfl-europe-sea-devils-galaxy-naming-rights-secured-by-european-league-of-football/

David Knower, chairman of the advisory board of the European League of Football, initiated and negotiated the agreement with the NFL. “We are delighted about the agreement to be able to use the naming rights of the former NFL Europe teams,” says Knower, who worked with the NFL Europe Advisory Board.

Beyond that, there are no further connections between the European League of Football and the NFL as things stand.

Edited by johnnyboy

• 3 weeks later...

The XFL and CFL have "tabled" their talks (aka they couldn't come to an agreement)

With the announcement from both leagues - the XFL announced that it will now relaunch in 2023

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I certainly wouldn't call New Orleans, Michigan or Houston the "East"

And to be fair - the only West Coast teams in the leagues history were Portland (and they put the team back in New Orleans there) and Oakland and we see how sports franchises in Oakland have been fairing recently

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I certainly wouldn't call New Orleans, Michigan or Houston the "East"

And to be fair - the only West Coast teams in the leagues history were Portland (and they put the team back in New Orleans there) and Oakland and we see how sports franchises in Oakland have been fairing recently

Also the L.A. Express.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...