DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

Per Meltz - the reason Luck is suing (which the amount is believed to be about $20 million)

Reason is that Vince had guaranteed Luck's deal so right before decided to fold the league, Vince started ghosting Luck and then fired Luck (while just telling everyone else the league was closing) to try and get around paying him.

I can't wait for the full recap in the WON

10 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

LOL at Vince trying to pull carny wrestling promoter tactics in non-wrestling environments where people that know how the real world works and aren't marks for the idea of working for Vince say "Haha....NO".

I don't know, it's pretty football. Straight out of Al Davis's playbook, firing someone "with cause' to try and prevent paying them. Did it at least twice to head coaches (and God damn did Mike Shanahan take it personally)

Sadly the WON update didn't really have anything that hadn't already been reported

In fact the most interesting nuggets were that the league was already talking about moving Tampa Bay to Orlando and that the Guardians would go from playing in MetLife to playing in Red Bull Arena

• 2 weeks later...

Reports are that Vince is trying to sell all the rights to the XFL to someone/anyone else

Letters of intent are due by mid June and formal bids are due the beginning of July.

I doubt anything is going to come of it considering how much Vince overvalues his own properties

On 4/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know, it's pretty football. Straight out of Al Davis's playbook, firing someone "with cause' to try and prevent paying them. Did it at least twice to head coaches (and God damn did Mike Shanahan take it personally)

I know Al Davis was a crazy person, but based on their behavior since being fired from the Raiders I'm willing to bet that Mike Shanahan and Lane Kiffen did something to make Al Davis go after their money.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reports are that Vince is trying to sell all the rights to the XFL to someone/anyone else

Letters of intent are due by mid June and formal bids are due the beginning of July.

I doubt anything is going to come of it considering how much Vince overvalues his own properties

well fuck. now it's even MORE unlikely that we see 2001 xfl on the network.

So I looked up the Antonio Callaway thing from his wiki... “*Scoff* I would never hire someone with such a dangerous record. We don’t hire people with felonies here in the XFL.”

On Sunday, August 5, 2018, Callaway was issued a citation in Strongsville, Ohio for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license during a traffic stop at 3am.[32] The drug charges were dropped, and Callaway paid $911 for the license violation.[33]

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

"You used a PHONE we're keeping $20 million dollars" is so great

The best part of the phone allegation is that Vince is claiming that the phone is being "forensically examined" to discover the extent of Luck's personal usage.  Lol,

*"Gross neglect" of his job during the early days of the pandemic

This is hilarious too.  In the actual filing, the XFL claims that Luck "effectively abandoned his responsibilities" by relocating from the XFL offices in Connecticut, to his home in Indiana, and failing to "devote substantially all of his business time to his XFL duties as required by the contract."  Luck's attorneys have already pointed out Luck only began working at home when the Conn. governor's stay at home order made working in the office impossible.

I'm going to guess that Vince's idea of devoting "substantially all of your business time" differs greatly from what a reasonable person would expect.

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I looked up the Antonio Callaway thing from his wiki... “*Scoff* I would never hire someone with such a dangerous record. We don’t hire people with felonies here in the XFL.”

Well, Vince has some grounds here.  At least on the face of it.  The actual "allegation" is that Luck hired Callaway without Vince's approval and then refused Vince's order to fire him.  Also Callaway is kind of a screw-up.  He got suspended by the NFL for violating the substance abuse policy.  Cleveland cut him later in the season because he was facing a second suspension that would have been 10 games instead of 4 (a full season is sixteen games).  The final straw was him (Callaway) missing meetings and showing up late for practices.

Mostly, this smells like Vince trying to do an end run around a guaranteed contract.  Things were apparently fine until he decided there wasn't going to be a second season and stopped responding to Luck's texts and phone calls.  He fired Luck (by text) one day before the XFL laid off everyone.  Vince spends too much time dealing with sycophants and wrestlers who stupidly agree to awful, one-sided contracts.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Fixed a couple typos
  • Like 1

Calloway was signed by the XFL before the season even started and Vince had to approve all signings of that nature.

Luck’s response was basically that he has text messages that prove Vince is full of shit and that the judge should immediately award him the case.

I mean we all know this is gonna be settled out of court anyway

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 7:55 AM, RIPPA said:

Well, the name on the contract says "McMahon". . .but it says. . .

VINCE McMa. . .wait, what?

The best part will be that it wasn't Vince's plan but now that someone made the theory Vince will be all THAT'S BRILLIANT!!! and do it

August 3 has been set for the auction for those wanting to buy the XFL

Vince is the one claiming that 20 different buyers submitted bids

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...