DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee has just placed a ban on gatherings of more than 250 people in the Seattle area due to the COVID-19 outbreak.  So, this weekend's game between Seattle and LA (if it happens as scheduled) will be not only in an empty stadium, it will be with absolute bare bones staff/personnel/broadcasters.  

The Dragons are expected to comment today on their plans. 

XFL confirmed the game will take place as scheduled without any fans.

It's weird that they said suspend instead of cancelled since they aren't starting up again until next year.

SO with that said - apparently XFL players will be allowed to sign with NFL teams starting today (since the XFL league year is over)

I'm not going to lie, XFL was fun to watch and a million times better than their first run. I thought it was an actual viable product and it sucks that it was successful and it got shut down anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not going to lie, XFL was fun to watch and a million times better than their first run. I thought it was an actual viable product and it sucks that it was successful and it got shut down anyway.

I was really enjoying it. More than I expected, by far.

Congrats to @Lawful Metal, Houston ended up at the top of one league, at least. And, as far as we know, they didn't even have to cheat!

• Haha 1

Woohoo!  First undefeated season in XFL History!!!

Also I heard that PJ Walker was getting interest from Seattle, Denver, and other places (Not Houston, apparently, but they have a truly shitty GM).  Good for him.  hope some of the other guys can get a sniff at training camps whenever those happen. 

• 3 weeks later...

I hope it survives, if only because I wanted it to fail due to Vince's incompetence, rather than external forces.

If it dies like this, than those WWE documentaries can claim it died due to COVID-19, instead of Vince being an idiot completely out of touch with reality.

Instead, Vince can go to his grave thinking "I could have made it as a football promoter, but those damned networks and COVID-19 screwed me over."

Vince drove all his competitors out of business, his wife became a Cabinet secretary....

This dude NEEDS to suffer some major league humiliation that he can't spin as being someone else's fault.

Edited by Southside Jim
  • Like 3

Wow. I really didn't want the XFL to die. These are words I didn't expect to type out ever. They did nearly everything right this second time around, plus they had tv deals in place and attendance was good. Why kill the league of they could just do it again in February or March?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wow. I really didn't want the XFL to die. These are words I didn't expect to type out ever. They did nearly everything right this second time around, plus they had tv deals in place and attendance was good. Why kill the league of they could just do it again in February or March?

Think of the expenses here. They have TV deals, but aren’t making money off them. The plan was put them on TV for 3 years to build buzz, then use that with hopefully good ratings to secure a profitable TV deal. They were already planning to lose money this year, but this was taking that and excluding half a season of ticket sales and concessions.

• Sad 1

It technically isn't dead dead.

They are running a skeleton crew still out of league HQ in case they are able to start back up

But as Dan said - they already had been hit hard since they had games wiped out (including their championship).

Now what could eventually work in their favor would be is if the NFL season gets cancelled but by next March sports are happening again, people would be craving something to watch.

The problem is there is probably no way now for them to have a 2021 season unless everything is completely normal by June 1 (which we know it won't be)