DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

Wait, there's another match happening right now? Started before the previous one even ended?

Weren't they supposed to be scheduled to be shorter (in real time) than NFL games?

Honestly as far as day 1 goes, I am enjoying this fine as "a thing that exists between the end of the NFL and start of the CFL season". Why not? It's more football on my TV that doesn't have the gross stink of the NCAA.

Without having looked into it I'm also curious how many of these guys were in the Arena League, which folded kind of rapidly at the end of last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Wait, there's another match happening right now? Started before the previous one even ended?

Weren't they supposed to be scheduled to be shorter (in real time) than NFL games?

I am assuming you found it by now - but the 2nd game was on FOX (though I dont know what it would be in the UK)

A little strange that the ESPN version had the point spread and over/under on the score box but FOX doesn't.  

This LA quarterback has a little Jay Cutler in him with not much of the talent to act like a Jay Cutler

Edited by hammerva

I will say that someone was real smart to play the first game in DC because the Defenders have a legit little buzz in this area now thanks to the Skins being shit.

The announced crowd was a little more that 17,000 which is close to a sell out in that stadium for that configuration AND it was a bigger crowd than the last 3 Washington home games

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am assuming you found it by now - but the 2nd game was on FOX (though I dont know what it would be in the UK)

Same channel, BT Sport 3. There was a very abrupt cut from the final score of one to the other being joined in progress. It's just it wasn't in the channel guide, it listed Seattle vs Washington across both spots. It looked like they'd just booked an extra large time window for the one match.

I dug what I saw of the first game. That double reverse TD pass from Jones was a real jaw dropper... like video game football, in the best possible way. I'll definitely keep watching.

Must be said it's pretty hilarious that the league founded as a vanity project by a wrestling promoter having the most transparent replay system in north American sports. Getting a call explanation out of the NHL is still akin to getting the vatican to tell you where they hid that gold.

• Like 4

never saw him in the DC game.  That was actually one of the encouraging things is that there was at best 1 or 2 WWE reference in the whole game if you want to call "Mr. McMahon" a reference.   If you didn't know the history you probably wouldn't even know that he owns the league.  Which is a complete 180 from 2001

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Honestly, I liked what I saw yesterday. I liked it as much as watching a random NFL game anyway. My one complaint is that the one Midwest team in the league is a St. Louis team, I can't bring myself to root for a team from St. Louis, and so it's hard to know who to be a fan of. Other than that, it was pretty cool to watch on a day where I was sick for a portion of it and didn't do anything.

• Like 2

Okay it looks like the upper deck of Met Life is empty.  I assume they didn't actually sell tickets in that section.  That makes it better

Joe Horn Jr better pull out a cell phone in one of his end zone celebrations

Edited by hammerva

14 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Okay it looks like the upper deck of Met Life is empty.  I assume they didn't actually sell tickets in that section.  That makes it better

Looks like hardly anybody in the lower bowl as well, and the fans sounds way less enthusiastic compared to yesterday’s games.

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well if we are only going by 3 games,  I wonder if it is more ESPN has the technology to put more mics out there than FOX

I would say of the two, FOX has the better, and cleaner production. Also way better commentators. ESPN’s crew sounded like they were covering a softball beer league on the Duce.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs