DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

47 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

So this is apparently a thing that is happening:

Would anyone be surprised if someone like Chad Johnson could play and play well in the XFL?  He's regarded as one of the best route runners ever and stays in great shape...he can't play in the NFL, but the XFL?  I could see it.

Wait, I didn't realize he's going to be a kicker.  

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 2

The XFL has announced the final rosters for the start of the season

Beyond the QBs - some of the notable names to make squads

RBs

• Matt Jones
  • Lance Dunbar
  • Christian Michael
  • Andre Williams

WRs

• Antonio Callaway
  • Sammie Coates
  • Keenan Reynolds
  • Eli Rogers
  • Rashad Ross
  • Terrance Williams

Nick Novak and Garrett Hartley are both there as kickers

I'm surprised I haven't seen any advertising for XFL considering it's starting up in less than 2 weeks. I figured I would have seen something, hell, even web ads, and I haven't seen anything.

They're all over the place here in NYC. 

Tickets available for the opener 2/9 at MetLife for $30.   I thought about it for a second, then realized, I'd be paying to be outdoors, sitting down, in windy ass MetLife... in February.  

Congratulations XFL, you just figured out why no one plays football in late winter.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Actually, I never even thought that since Chicago doesn't have a team I may be less likely to see ads around these parts.

Based on the rules changes and how fun and chaotic something new can be I'll be watching the first weekend at least. Or I say I'll watch now when in reality I'll watch maybe a quarter, get antsy from sitting and watching, and then go and do a project around the house. Or I'll read a book or something.

To be fair - 3 days before in NYC, it is going to be in the 40s

That is exactly what the Jets and Giants were playing in December so let's not get crazy that this is wackadoo weather

Plus NY is the only Northern city - I mean DC yes too but there generally is at least a 10 degree difference between the two cities around winter time. 

It seems like they were insistent on having Week 1 in NY. Because the NY team is on the road for week 1 or 2

People don't go to watch football in "late winter" because it is not the NFL not because it is cold

Oh, you know just as well as I do that 40's the plateau of good winter weather in NYC, and they're just as likely to play in the aftermath of a Nor'Easter that drops the temperature by 30 degrees in a day.  Or worse... in the middle of one.

Either way, I will be astonished if they pull 15,000 for the opener.  If the weather is bad though... that number could get ugly fast. 

I am more baffled they picked Met Life to begin with

Here in DC - they are using Audi Field which is DC United's soccer stadium (oh that is also close to public transportation)

Heck - play in Wein Stadium. 17K in seats is perfect and you are actually in NY

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here in DC - they are using Audi Field which is DC United's soccer stadium (oh that is also close to public transportation)

Red Bull Arena would've been right in their wheelhouse, although it might be a tad snug for gridiron. It's right off the PATH so you have public trans as well.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I'm going to guess Columbia told them to go fuck themselves (assuming they bothered to ask).  My guess is MetLife got picked because a) RedBull Arena isn't going to share with a pro football team, b) The Mets and Yankees both guffawed heartily and hung up on Vince, and/or most likely, c) Vince got a deal by combining a Wrestlemania with the XFL dates. 

And the ideal location would have actually been MCU Park. 

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm going to guess Columbia told them to go fuck themselves (assuming they bothered to ask).  My guess is MetLife got picked because a) RedBull Arena isn't going to share with a pro football team, b) The Mets and Yankees both guffawed heartily and hung up on Vince, and/or most likely, c) Vince got a deal by combining a Wrestlemania with the XFL dates. 

Football at MCU would rule- the Brooklyn Bolts did pretty well there. Then again I doubt Vince would sniff within two zip codes of a short-season Single A stadium for his VISION.

I imagine Columbia would tell them the same thing they told NYCFC when that rumor was floating around.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 2:19 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The only good thing I will ever say about the soda people is that they have emphatically stated that they will never allow gridball at RBA.

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

The only good thing I will ever say about the soda people is that they have emphatically stated that they will never allow gridball at RBA.

And yet they've hosted rugby union a handful of times.

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

And yet they've hosted rugby union a handful of times.

Way fewer markings on the pitch for rugby. They want nothing to do with a match looking like the bad old days of MLS where you can see the football markings (even after attempts to remove them) and it looks awful.

Saw Oliver Luck doing something press for the XFL today. Forgot that he’s the commissioner. 

So, there has to be a conspiracy theory out there that Andrew’s retirement was an elaborate ruse to get out of his contract to go play in his dad’s league, right?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

So, there has to be a conspiracy theory out there that Andrew’s retirement was an elaborate ruse to get out of his contract to go play in his dad’s league, right?

Oh that one started within a week of him retiring.

Basically - HE HAS A YEAR TO HEAL THEN HE WILL JOIN HIS DAD!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you ever need proof about how the 2020 XFL isnt' the same as the 2001 version, they don't have cheerleaders in this league.  I mean in the original league not only did they have cheerleaders but they were "encouraged" to have sex with players and management.  Hell they devoted an entire week about what cheerleaders were going to do

• Like 1