DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 12:55 AM, sabremike said:

What do you think about this idea: you know how the CFL has 12 men instead of 11 on the field? How about go in the opposite direction and have teams play with 10 men? Not only would that theoretically open up the game by creating more space it would also cut down on roster sizes and save money.

I'm just seeing this...I never check my notifications.  

Honestly, I don't think I like that idea.  I don't think you can have less than 5 lineman and play a game that even resembles football.  Unless the league had a rule against blitzing and running the ball.  So, we'd have a strictly passing league with a rule against rushing more than 4 people.  That is kind of the only way I see it working...but if that is the case why not have a professional 7-on-7 league?

I actually prefer 12, because it would lead to more offensive creativity.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Landry Jones has signed with the XFL thus becoming the first QB to do so

They will be holding a 8 man QB draft this fall which Jones will be a part of

So he is basically Tommy Maddox's doppleganger?  Who also played with the Steelers.   

Yeah I won't be sorry to see him go but when you can't even beat Josh Dobbs you are in trouble

is this really still starting in february?

in that 30-for-30 doc, almost every single person lamented that a big failing point was that the teams weren't even put together until december. with a qb draft coming "in the fall" it certainly looks like we are repeating those same mistakes.

also, have we gotten an official ruleset or anything of value? with 6 months or less to first kickoff, this stuff should have already been in place a while ago.

Yes

The draft is scheduled for October and training camps are supposed to start in November.

Remember they are going to be using guys who just had their NFL dreams crushed to fill the league so doing it earlier than Sept 1 would be silly since most guys are only going to turn to the XFL if they were rejected by the NFL. In fact, I am a little surprised Landry Jones already signed. 

In regards to rules - it seems a lot is in place they just haven't announced them to the public.

They tested a lot of the rules in the Spring league so one would assume that they have been spending the summer finalizing whatever tweaks they are making

The bottom line is always going to be the money factor - and considering Vince has said he is willing to lose X amount over the first few years... we shall see. (I mean if the TV partners bail all bets are off)

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Supposedly the XFL will announce team names on Wednesday 

Their FaceBook page is saying that the reveal is at 12:30 PM Eastern time on Wednesday.

Also put a bit of a tease on both their FaceBook page and their Twitter feed:

So the team names are 

Yeah these are the best names but they could be worse.  Maybe legally the Tampa Bay team can't be called the Bandits. 

Hopefully they hype the Houston team by playing that MC Lyte song and showing a Mr Hughes video about 150 times  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Maybe legally the Tampa Bay team can't be called the Bandits. 

Not maybe but definitely - unless Vince goes buys the USFL rights from that dude who bought them and tried to restart it as a spring league like 5 years ago