DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

Not a meme, just my reality. We got fucking ice pellets coming down on us. Ice pellets!

kUIH7BF.jpg?1

Anyway, back on topic, I decided to go back and read what that AAF radio shill Rippa posted on page 2 has been saying since the league collapsed. He's declared the Hotshots as league champs. Congrats to them, but there will be no bonus to pay for the hotel bills you guys are now stuck with.

BTW - the report that came out yesterday was the AAF went to Vince and offered to merge with the XFL and Vince told them no

So the folks thinking Vince would buy their assets... not likely

What assets are even left?  A bunch of teams with a failed 8-game stink and a player pool whose best talent has already been poached by the NFL since they shut down.  

I mean I guess something could be said for half-off weight benches.  

Edited by CSC

Just now, CSC said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26478796/xfl-3-point-tries-2-point-ot-shootouts

Not entirely awful ideas - the overtime particularly sounds pretty interesting.  

I'm all for ideas like this, but I'm of the opinion that if you are going to fight a juggernaut you can't win by playing the juggernaut's game.

56 minutes ago, CSC said:

What assets are even left?  A bunch of teams with a failed 8-game stink and a player pool whose best talent has already been poached by the NFL since they shut down.  

One would assume the trademarks to the team names, etc...

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

One would assume the trademarks to the team names, etc...

I can't imagine they hold much value though.

I still think Vince should've just taken their money instead of this nonsense he's doing, but he does look better prepared than they were at least.

11 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Why would you want this to be anything aside from an unmitigated disaster for Vince McMahon, though?

Because if it's a success, there's a non zero chance he focuses fully on this and goes hands off with WWE?

• Like 2

In the long run - a successful secondary league that would force colleges to actually take care of their players by giving an alternative to the college to NFL model.

But even I know there's like a .000001% chance the XFL would turn into that.  

• Like 1

It should be in the other thread, but i heard a pod with the CFL commish talking about all the changes they were trying to make to grow the league and/or stay around, including trying to grow their game in places like Mexico and Europe. 

TIL Play it Again Sports is still around. I wish we still had one here. I got all of my hockey equipment and a lot of weight lifting equipment from there back in the day.

Basically - assuming this is all close to true - Charlie Ebersol and Tom Dundon immediately got into a power struggle, Ebersol tried to get another investor to undercut Dundon, Dundon found out and basically killed the league to spite Ebersol

Oh and Ebersol basically sold everyone on THE RIGHTS DEAL WILL PAY FOR EVERYTHING!!! 

Oliver Luck was on SiriusXM yesterday and basically said the XFL wouldn't sign Colin Kaepernick because his asking price was probably too high.   

(Emphasis mine.) 

And lord, the fucking worminess of that answer.... it sounds like they all sat around a conference table and asked how they could say no to a guy who would be a god in their league and not make it seem... well, you know. 

Jonathan Hayes was announced as HC of the St Louis franchise

Hayes - by far the least known coach so far - was an assistant for Marvin Lewis forever

Also during the press conference, Oliver Luck said they would announce their broadcast partners in a couple of weeks but their plan is that two games a week would be on broadcast TV and two games a week would be on cable