DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

It's clear now that the Hurricanes owner came into this basically trying to use the AAF to get a foothold in the NFL so he could own there

• Like 2

Even better

Now to be fair - the top replies are from a reporter from NFL Network saying she strongly disagrees with this based on her sources

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Even better

Now to be fair - the top replies are from a reporter from NFL Network saying she strongly disagrees with this based on her sources

As a society, I'm kind of worried about how bad faith actions seem to be normalized these days.  How many millions of dollars did this dude cost all the other investors by buying into a league that he had no interest in making successful?  Seriously, we live in a world where the richest man on the planet runs a company that has never turned a profit.  This shit is going to crash and burn and my broke ass is going to have nothing but the ability to say, "I told you so."

Just now, hammerva said:

So by "suspended today" that means that they are even going to have the playoffs which I think starts in a week or two?

They're going to put the trophy on the 50-yard line and the first player who wrestles it away from his opponent will win the championship for his team.

That Apollos/Express game this past weekend was by far the best AAF game I've seen this season - so I guess going out on a high note sorta?

edit:

That makes it sound pretty done done.  

Edited by CSC

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

As a society, I'm kind of worried about how bad faith actions seem to be normalized these days.  How many millions of dollars did this dude cost all the other investors by buying into a league that he had no interest in making successful?  Seriously, we live in a world where the richest man on the planet runs a company that has never turned a profit.  This shit is going to crash and burn and my broke ass is going to have nothing but the ability to say, "I told you so."

I thought the problem was the other investors bailed and they needed this guy to last past week one?  Oh well they got video of that hit on Bergovici so a thousand YouTube videos can be made on how the AAF should have taken over but the NFL squashed them

3 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I thought the problem was the other investors bailed and they needed this guy to last past week one?  Oh well they got video of that hit on Bergovici so a thousand YouTube videos can be made on how the AAF should have taken over but the NFL squashed them

That is also an issue...a huge issue, but not beside the point.  The point is that he bought in for reasons that aren't, I want to build a successful football league.  Whether it is to get his foot in the door with the NFL, to buy a majority stake in a gambling app, or because the other owners needed a bailout, he doesn't seem very invested in the future viability of the league.  It is a symptom of a larger disease I've noticed where we just accept that people are going to lie, cheat, and steal from everyone and we're supposed to charge it to the game.  

If he thought he could get in the NFL's door with this he is an idiot.  This was never going to be a blip to the NFL.  I think he thought that this could be a new NFL Europe and maybe be connected that way and get them to defray the costs but if the NFL wanted a minor league they would have kept NFL Europe

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

If he thought he could get in the NFL's door with this he is an idiot.  This was never going to be a blip to the NFL.  I think he thought that this could be a new NFL Europe and maybe be connected that way and get them to defray the costs but if the NFL wanted a minor league they would have kept NFL Europe

The NFL has a free minor league system that kind of weeds out some of the worst people already.  I know we get the occasional Aaron Hernandez or Lawrence Phillips, but having to spend 3 years in college weeds out a lot of the crazies that would be in this theoretical minor league.  Unless the NCAA implodes in a way that takes the entire sport down, there is no way the NFL does anything to disrupt their free pipeline for players.

• Thanks 1

In the meantime, Vince has opened up something close $400 million to blow on the XFL instead of taking a free $50 million to let this thing have that name for it's half season.

Vince will buy whatever AAF assets he may want for pennies on the dollar like did for WCW.

Will the AAF library be part of the WWE Network Premium tier? 

As for the AAF, to quote UrinatingTree: the football gods show no mercy. Amen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

All AAF players have been officially released from their contractual obligations and may sign with the NFL.  

I think you mean wait for the XFL...

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

All AAF players have been officially released from their contractual obligations and may sign with the NFL.  

AAF > Lucha Underground.

2 minutes ago, elizium said:

It literally just snowed again.

(not a joke)

Please use this additional get out of meme free card to put a brazzers logo on something.  That is the meme trump card.

• Like 1