DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

On 2/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, RIPPA said:

Boy... you do you Vince

Wow, I guess I always thought the announcement of the AAF coming so close to the XFL (and getting their product on the field a year sooner) was an unfortunate coincidence for Vince.

Now, it turns out he knew not only that somebody else was starting up a new league but that they also had a head start on him...and he decided it would be a good idea after the fact.  It boggles the mind.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hired to coach the TB team two days after the Ravens fired him.

Trestman sucks.

Huh?

The Ravens fired him in Oct 2016. He went to the Argos in Jan 2017.

The Argos fired him at the end of the 2018 season and now the XFL hired him

What two days are you talking about?

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Huh?

The Ravens fired him in Oct 2016. He went to the Argos in Jan 2017.

The Argos fired him at the end of the 2018 season and now the XFL hired him

What two days are you talking about?

So, I thought he was fired by the Ravens awhile ago, but when I saw the thing about Trestman pop up in my Google Assistant or Google Home tiles or whatever it's called, there was another article showing he would be the new HC for TB in the XFL and was fired two days ago from the Ravens.

When I looked at my phone again just now, nothing was there. I swear I saw something, but this is what I get for trusting technology.

• 2 weeks later...

He is signed with Memphis

So I look and see who the head coach of Memphis is.  Oh really Mike Singletary.  I am sure no problems will come from those two together ?

Also reason number 25 why Christian Hackenberg is an incredibly awful QB 

Edited by hammerva

Hackenberg is just this amazing thing. He was never very good even at Penn State, but he just looks like a quarterback, so he gets picked in the second round... Turns out he's so bad the Jets won't even put him on the field. But he just looks like a quarterback, so Oakland gives him a shot. Doesn't even make the roster. But he just looks like a quarterback, so Philadelphia gives him a shot. Doesn't even make roster, but he just looks like a quarterback, so Cincinnati gives him a shot, and he doesn't even make the roster. 

Here comes the AAF, thinking "but he just looks like a quarterback......"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of no one - looks like the AAF will be a one season league

I went to an Arena League game last year (got free suite tickets) and one of the things I realized is how few talented football players are willing to play for so little money.  It was clear that they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent.  Football hurts man, and if you played football in college you are probably at the very worst a semester or two from graduating from college.  Given the choice of playing for less than 100K or finishing your degree and getting a day job, a lot of those dudes are probably going to take the latter.  You are choosing from people who are either not talented enough to play or people who are otherwise unemployable.  And guess what, another league is starting next year.

Just now, Tabe said:

Yeah, that too ?

I can't believe that people still think that alternative football leagues are something they should spend millions of dollars to start, build, and try to run.  I have zero desire to watch football at anything but the highest level.  I watch the NFL, and the occasional big college football game.  Watching dudes who were decent high school players play "professional" football doesn't appeal to me in any way.  That's before we even take into account how few people want to play professional football outside of the NFL.  

Well Vince's is crazy and an egomaniac.

And to slightly be fair to the AAF - I think the original investors were all "Let's do another league and if the NFL buys in great". It's the new investor who they got after like Week 1 who is all WE NEED THE NFL!!!!

Vince being openly hostile towards the NFL at least eliminates that problem

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

If your business model is reliant on the NFL letting you use their players, you probably need to rethink your business model.

Yeah, you would think that this is something that would have been worked out before the league started.

I mean, I've enjoyed the AAF so far, but I'll watch damn near anything football-related. I think the level of play is better than the one season the XFL had, but that's not exactly setting the bar super high.

Meanwhile Vince just sold over 3 million shares in WWE stock to get more assets for the XFL

Mookie said that was basically worth over $270 million

It was so many shares that they had to include a statement saying that Vince has no plans to sell anymore stock and intends to continue as Chairman and CEO