DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

From what I can gather - it is somewhat the same from week

NFL Network will always be airing a game at 8 pm on Sat and Sun

The Sunday early afternoon game will be on some sort of CBS affiliated station

On 2/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, RIPPA said:

Alex Marvez says Jim Zorn will be one of the XFL coaches and my body is ready

Zorn playing the role of that New York coach who wasn't in on the angles with Jessie Ventura and could care less about it would be incredible. 

3 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Tom Dundon, Carolina Hurricanes owner: newest AAF Money Mark to the tune of $250 million! Two weeks in and this league can't even make payroll. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/19/nhl-owner-saves-the-aaf/

As a broke person, I'm not sure I'm in a place to give Tom Dundon financial advise, but why would you put $250 million into a league that was out of money after 2 weeks?

That is about twice as much as it would take to fix the Flint Water crisis by the way...but fixing a second rate football league is much more important than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

San Diego football is like indie wrestling.  The promotions who can only get 2000 are running in stadiums that hold probably 20,000 while the NFL team that could easily hold 60,000 is probably running in a building that holds half that.  ?

I bet if you look at history a few of those WFL teams in the 70's died before it made it to the first game.  The problem is that all I hear is how the NFL is kind of involved.  If so I guess that also shows another example of Goddell stupidity to not make it past week 1

Orlando also drew 20K+ in their first game too

San Diego claimed 20K and the game mentioned above (in the rain) which clearly was tickets sold and not people who walked into the stadium

9mPGdgt.png

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Switching payroll providers sounds pretty odd to do in mid-season.

Yeah - people who claim Meltzer is a AEW shill should read that guys Twitter feed to see what a co-opted media member really looks like

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - people who claim Meltzer is a AEW shill should read that guys Twitter feed to see what a co-opted media member really looks like

I am firmly convinced that the folks that lightly toss the word "co-opted" at Meltzer over how the AEW stuff has been reported so far literally do not interact with any other types of media at all.

Sports media, music journalism, video game media, film/TV press...Meltzer isnt even close to the level of "co-opted" multiple tastemakers in those worlds are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Sports media, music journalism, video game media, film/TV press...Meltzer isnt even close to the level of "co-opted" multiple tastemakers in those worlds are. 

This is so true, especially in sports.  Think about how many of the people covering sports leagues are also either paying or getting paid by that sports league.  Think about how the NFL basically got a concussion documentary pulled from the air, or David Stern stopping Stan Van Gundy from being hired by ESPN, or the fact that almost every baseball team in a major market has its own network to cover their games.  It's bad enough that people have their biases, but when the entire industry has biases you should always be skeptical of how things get covered.  Dave Meltzer is actually one of the few "sports" journalists who I think is giving his actual opinion on matters, because he has a platform that exists independent of the sport he covers.

• Like 2

Also - and this is coming from Steve Spurrier so... yeah - but the apparent reason the AAF needed the cash was because an original investor bailed on them

“I think what happened is an original investor sort of led us into believing he could come up with the money to get us through the first year, and then he sort of bailed out,” Spurrier told Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel. “He didn’t have [the money], and we found Tom Dundon. I think [Dundon] liked the idea so much, he became the majority owner [of the league] and now we’re all set to go for quite a while.”

Oliver Luck has said that the XFL is planning on announcing one new coach a week so they will all be announced by the end of March

And to specify a little and tie into earlier - the next announcement supposedly will be Jim Zorn as Seattle HC