DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

That double pass is a thing of beauty when they pull it off. It'll never play in the NFL but the XFL can use this to help themselves stand out from the USFL.

• Like 2

For a wrestling board, there is shockingly little discussion about XFL ratings. Turns out - not good! Much lower than it was for the 2020 XFL version. The two games last week on Saturday averaged 405,000 and 343,000 viewers on FX, while the Sunday game on ESPN getting 691,000 for DC-Vegas and 572,000 for St.Louis-Arlington. This past thursday's late game was on ESPN and got 256K (48th for the the night in the "demo" on cable), going against March Madness was probably not a great idea.

One reason maybe for the lower ratings is all games stream on ESPN+ (which is how I watch them). Course, ESPN has the internal numbers to know if that is a significant number of people that stream it or a fraction. Either way I assume they were hoping for better ratings, the USFL starts up in a few weeks and I'm pretty confused on who thought it was a good idea to have multiple Spring leagues.

28 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

For a wrestling board, there is shockingly little discussion about XFL ratings. Turns out - not good! Much lower than it was for the 2020 XFL version. The two games last week on Saturday averaged 405,000 and 343,000 viewers on FX, while the Sunday game on ESPN getting 691,000 for DC-Vegas and 572,000 for St.Louis-Arlington. This past thursday's late game was on ESPN and got 256K (48th for the the night in the "demo" on cable), going against March Madness was probably not a great idea.

One reason maybe for the lower ratings is all games stream on ESPN+ (which is how I watch them). Course, ESPN has the internal numbers to know if that is a significant number of people that stream it or a fraction. Either way I assume they were hoping for better ratings, the USFL starts up in a few weeks and I'm pretty confused on who thought it was a good idea to have multiple Spring leagues.

I imagine its ego.  The USFL and the XFL and the ABCEDFL and whoisits should have merged. I don't think it helped started right after the NFL season. Let it breath, get the anticipation up. That said I haven't watched a minute of it and won't.  The reason the 1st USFL lasted was that it was able to snag actual stars. 

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

At least 2 games per week were on FOX or ABC in 2020, so it's not really fair to compare the numbers

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

At least 2 games per week were on FOX or ABC in 2020, so it's not really fair to compare the numbers

I'm comparing like to like, which isn't hard to sift through. Comparing ratings on ABC vs. ABC, ESPN vs. ESPN, and FX/EPSN2 vs. FS1 (similar number of homes) and the ratings are down across the board this year. Their only saving grace is they are on ESPN+ which could help bridge the gap, but we'll never know those numbers to know how much it helps. But its doubtful they were hoping for sub-500K numbers when they booted back up.

I like the concept of a Spring league and have watched some games on ESPN+, but the US as a whole seems disinterested.

I don't watch it that much since I'm busy with other things.  But I do like watching when I do even if the games aren't that great.  It also helps some of the crowds are wild and the things they do differently are welcome changes.  I'm hoping it will last and gain more viewers but if not then oh well.

Also, there was a San Antonio fan tonight that had a mask that reminds me a ton of Psicosis.  So that was neat to see.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I am not sure they started being specific with Unsportsmanlike penalties but Houston is getting creative.  One was kicked out for a "low blow" as called and another gets a 15 for squirting a water bottle at the back of an official 😁

Watching Wade Phillips losing his shit on questionable calls is a treat

Edited by hammerva

• 3 weeks later...

So the USFL season started today.  Granted it is only one game but looking at that game and looking at the quarterbacks this season, the USFL has less talent than the XFL.   The only quarterback this season in the USFL that I have heard of is Carson Strong.  That isn't encouraging.  Pretty decent crowd in Memphis though.  Looks like they got rid of the "one field for the entire league" gimmick as Birmingham is playing at home and not in Memphis.

Helps that the night game is head to head with the two worst teams in the XFL 

We've thoroughly enjoyed the XFL in my household and watched three of the four USFL games this weekend.  My wife, daughter, and I all have different teams we root for so we can bicker back and forth when they face off which is always fun.  

Edited by gatling

Battlehawks miss out on the playoffs on a tiebreaker to Seattle. It made for an interesting Week 10 with St Louis trying to run up the score on Orlando. So it’s Seattle and DC in the North, Houston and Arlington in the South.

As for the USFL, even with a half hub model, they can’t draw flies. The games so far from what I have seen are even bigger mismatches than the XFL so far. 

I am sure the XFL doesn't like that St Louis isn't in the playoffs given how the fanbase has been rapid for the product.   Washington has a great fan base but even they are not at the level of them.    It would be something if even in the XFL a team from Seattle fucks over a team from Washington the playoffs.   This time I hope not.  

So the championship is set as Arlington faces the Defenders.  Yeah Arlington has a losing record but has been very hot in the last month.   The last time they faced each other had one of the craziest 4th quarter/overtime with a huge comeback

Edited by hammerva

Where Antonio Brown goes, chaos often follows.

Chaos has followed Brown to Albany. Last month, he assumed 95-percent ownership of the Albany Empire, an indoor football team. Since then, things have not gone very well.

Abigail Rubel of the Albany Times Union reported on Monday that the players hadn’t been paid since April 21. On Monday, head coach Damon Ware left the team over lack of payment.

Meanwhile, multiple players have been suspended due to an incident on the team bus, following a game this weekend in North Carolina. The Albany police responded early Monday to a report of “aggravated harassment” arising from the alleged incident on the bus.

Per Rubel, Empire acting president Alberony Denis claimed “the lack of payment was due to issues with the payroll processor” dating back to former owner Mike Kwarta’s tenure. Denis said the players were told they’d be paid on Monday afternoon.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/02/albany-empire-owned-by-antonio-brown-descends-into-chaos/