DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

Turned on a game Saturday afternoon and was briefly impressed at the size of the crowd.  Hot crowd.  They were cheering their heads off.

Took me about 30 seconds to realize I had left the tv on the NFL Network the the night before and the game on the screen was actually a replay of the Jacksonville-KC playoff game from a few weeks earlier.

Crowd was decidedly more mild once I flipped stations to an actual XFL game.

• Haha 4

I do like some of the XFL rule changes. I know NFL is officially using them to test some stuff out, but the kickoffs of course are a huge plus and I like the "onside kick" change. I don't know if the NFL will ever do anything that drastic but its a lot better than the regular onside kick. I will say that even though the 1-2-3 point try and "one challenge to challenge ANYTHING" rules are neat, no way NFL ever does those two.

I'm also disappointed XFL isn't using an "eye in the sky" replay system as I still think that is the future of football. And having no automatic challenges under two minutes feels like a bad idea. Maybe they just don't have the cameras to do it but a couple referees watching everything in real time to quickly change bad calls is still the way to go. Maybe one day.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So in the Defenders game, security took away the fan's beer cup snake so they threw lemons on the field in retaliation. I don't know why they had lemons. They picked up some of them but then gave up and resumed play.

Announcers celebrating and endorsing fans throwing things onto the field is a very bad idea for reasons anyone smarter than a goldfish (or who watched mid/late 90's wrestling) could figure out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

BattleHawks games are drawing great TV ratings in St. Louis and their tickets are selling tickets like hotcakes, so that's definitely the team I'm rooting for. 

Anthony Becht is a very good coach.

I haven't watched any this year, but the 2020 xfl St. Louis crowds were absolutely engaged and crazy passionate. They were the single thing that most justified the league imo. I'm happy for St Louis that they get another chance to cheer for them.

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

XFL announcers need to do their homework. In what universe is Ricky Proehl a Seahawks legend? Dude played here 2 years and was a backup the whole time. 

The word legend gets thrown around too much in all avenues. My wife was watching one of the Real Housewives shows and Ronnie DeVoe of Bell Biv Devoe's wife was one there. She was introduced as the wife of "music legend" Ronnie DeVoe. Now, I love BBD as much as the next guy, but calling him a legend is a huge stretch.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Holy shit the home field for the Las Vegas Vipers is literally a minor league baseball field they tried to convert quickly.  I mean does UNLV not have a football team.  there has to be something better 

Yeah, reading up on Vegas' minor league baseball team abandoning the stadium after a sewage overflow in 2015 was something

Sounds like the city only put enough money in to retrofit the stadium for soccer a few years ago and called it a day

Edited by Dolphman 3000