DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

On 4/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, hammerva said:

I would assume it is like the glow puck gimmick a decade or so again.  It would be funny if the ball started "glowing" prematurely and the player freaks out and drops it 

Well, apparently the players (the kickers and QB's especially) are really pissed about whatever they put in the football is adding about 4-5oz. to the ball's weight. Of course, the weight is not distributed evenly, so it's fucking them up.

• Like 1

I don't understand how you can have teams from certain "cities" but they never play in those cities. I mean why would Philadelphia care about the Stars that have never and probably will never even play in the state of PA. And why would Birmingham care, it seems like it would almost hurt attendance to have a city attached. May as well just leave it at a nickname for each team, its weird.

I fall in the camp of 'this was immediately off my radar.' I did watch the XFL (some) but this may as well not even exist, I'm not sure what the difference is but I just don't have any pull to watch it. I hope some of the new rules go well and then get an eye from the NFL as possible things to steal though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete said:

So that Generals/Panthers game was a thing that happened. Woof.

That was certainly a Jeff Fisher game. 

Watched some of the Stars and Maulers game today, which was much more competitive. 

I'm sure the 35 people in the stands were entertained. 

The Pittsburgh Maulers have the worst name and logo. 

They couldn't be bothered to take a fantastic creature nickname like a wyvern or a dragon. 

Or literally any other animal. 

The logo of the guy swinging a hammer is the prototypical create-a-team look. 

Pittsburgh Builders would be more apropos.

I really think in these cases that leagues like the old AFL and FCF have the right idea - don't have football in huge empty ass stadiums. It is such an awful visual, as a fan I'd rather watch sports (or wrestling) in a tiny packed place than a massive almost empty space, even if the number of fans is similar. Its just depressing. It doesn't impact the quality of play, it just hurts the whole environment.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 7:37 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

That was certainly a Jeff Fisher game. 

Watched some of the Stars and Maulers game today, which was much more competitive. 

I'm sure the 35 people in the stands were entertained. 

The Pittsburgh Maulers have the worst name and logo. 

They couldn't be bothered to take a fantastic creature nickname like a wyvern or a dragon. 

Or literally any other animal. 

The logo of the guy swinging a hammer is the prototypical create-a-team look. 

Pittsburgh Builders would be more apropos.

Well given that the main industry in Pittsburgh was and in some way still is in steel mining, the logo is perfectly fine.  The name yeah not so much.  

The biggest issue is that it looks like the still play offense like in the USFL which was quite awful

Edited by hammerva

The XFL will hold 6 "showcases" (aka tryouts) in June and July

June 17 - University of Maryland (open)

June 19 - IMG Academy - Bradenton, FL (open)

June 25 - Honolulu, Hawaii (invitation only)

July 16 - HBCU Showcase - Jackson State (Invitation only)

July 22 - Arizona State University (open)

July 24 - Choctaw Stadium - Arlington, Texas (open)

Choctaw Stadium is where the Dallas Renegades played in the last XFL version so that seems to strongly imply they are one of the franchises that will return (though to be fair, that probably was also settled the second they announced that Bob Stoops was returning as one of the HCs)

The things you randomly find when Googling

Okay besides Stoops returning as Dallas Renegades HC

Apparently Jim Haslett will be the HC in Seattle (which my or may not still be the Dragons). Folks discovered this because June Jones changed his Twitter bio to say "Offensive Coordinator in the XFL in Seattle for Jim Haslett"

And lastly - Orlando will be getting a team again. The XFL wanted to be there in the last reboot but the AAF was already there so they (the XFL) went to Tampa. Well now there are reports that possibly the Vipers (or a different name) will be in Orlando and Terrell Buckley will be the HC there.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, RIPPA said:

The things you randomly find when Googling

Okay besides Stoops returning as Dallas Renegades HC

Apparently Jim Haslett will be the HC in Seattle (which my or may not still be the Dragons). Folks discovered this because June Jones changed his Twitter bio to say "Offensive Coordinator in the XFL in Seattle for Jim Haslett"

And lastly - Orlando will be getting a team again. The XFL wanted to be there in the last reboot but the AAF was already there so they (the XFL) went to Tampa. Well now there are reports that possibly the Vipers (or a different name) will be in Orlando and Terrell Buckley will be the HC there.

I hope they bring back the St. Louis team. Those fans were rabid and deserve to get their team back.

• Like 2

With the expiration of the CFL CBA, 7 of the clubs have gone on strike while the two clubs in Alberta will join as soon as local law allows them too

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Are the networks paying them anything?

It wasn't said so maybe???

I fully expect Meltzer to have a full recap in the WON which will end up having more details

In a move that I am sure is totally coincidence and not trying to lock more dudes in so they can't play for the XFL - the USFL has announced that they are expanding their overall rosters by 5 (50 from 45) and their game day rosters by 2 (40 from 38)

The USFL and XFL’s existences are something that I hope does well, but I don’t know how committed I’d be to watching. The USFL is a ghost town it seems every game, and the XFL’s network deal and Dwayne’s name/money behind it only makes me more resolute that if this iteration can’t survive, then no alternative to the NFL/spring football league can.

They tried with indoor football for over 30 years until they finally gave that ghost up. Outdoor football has way more failures, and is the more mainstream version, so Rocky’s probably the best chance for an alternative, or even a feeder league, in a market with no room for one, lead by a league that has repeatedly indicated it has no interest in one.

• Like 2

Much like with AEW but worse, the ratings are interesting I guess more for trends as I have NO IDEA what the league or teams need for their ads. Obviously they aren't making anything with ticket sales of note so I'd think ads would be pretty much all they had going for them, so this wouldn't be ideal:

After experiencing some positive growth with the ratings and average viewing audience in Week 4, USFL Week 5 delivered some troubling numbers. Even with three of the four games broadcasted on major networks (Fox and NBC), the final numbers came out worse than expected.

Friday – Michigan Panthers vs Tampa Bay Bandits on USA – 250,000 avg. viewers

Saturday – New Orleans Breakers vs New Jersey Generals on Fox – 734,000 avg viewers

Sunday – Birmingham Stallions vs Philadelphia Stars on NBC – 905,000 viewers

Sunday – Pittsburgh Maulers vs Houston Gamblers on Fox –692,000 avg. viewers

In total, Week 5 averaged just over 640,000 viewers per game and 770,000 across the marquee networks. It’s the worst USFL TV ratings of the 2022 season.

So like I said, I don't know if this is bad or good but it can't be what they want. The only real comparison I can think of is 2020 XFL, which my understanding at the time was that these ratings were considered "ok".

XFL Week 5 Ratings

7 Mar 20, Seattle at Houston, ABC: 1.547 million viewers

7 Mar 20, New York at Dallas, FOX: 1.497 million

8 Mar 20, St. Louis at DC, FS1: 0.767 million

8 Mar 20, Tampa Bay at LA, ESPN: 0.833 million

Honestly I hear no buzz at all about the USFL and there was some for the XFL in 2020, course XFL teaming with Disney is smart. Besides this thread I haven't met anyone on my twitter list or IRL that has even said "USFL" in any capacity. I just wonder if there have been so many failed spring leagues lately if people are over it, or just something about the USFL this time didn't capture the attention. The Fan Controlled Football League gets more buzz than the USFL, I have no idea how to watch it but they are smart enough to get occasional headlines by making an interesting signing at least.

So I just looked it up and yes, FCF is showing that buzz helps! Imagine that!

Fan Controlled Football reported record-breaking viewership for the opening week of the league’s second season.

The professional indoor football league, which has eight teams and plays its games at Pratt-Pullman Yards in Atlanta, generated 2.5 million total live views across streaming platforms Twitch, NBCLX, DAZN, and FuboTV.

Not the same of course as traditional TV but they are getting eyeballs which is what matters.