DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

I would assume it is like the glow puck gimmick a decade or so again.  It would be funny if the ball started "glowing" prematurely and the player freaks out and drops it 

I actually liked the glowing puck even if I've didn't need it myself. The glowing trails were stupid but the glow was useful. I'd love to see a modern implementation. 

A federal judge declined to issue a preliminary injunction to stop the "new" USFL from using the names and logos of the "old" USFL

However - the judge basically said the "old" USFL would win a trademark infringement case so expect FOX to have to pay the "old" USFL some money

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/15/federal-judge-declines-to-block-usfl-from-using-names-and-logos-with-a-caveat/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Is that still Trump and, I guess the kids of Mixon and Spanos, and those types?  

Do they still own the copyrights? 

I don't think Trump is still affiliated with the group but yes the group still thinks they have the legal right to the USFL name

Their argument was basically that they were still receiving royalty checks based on the logo and names so that means they still own them (FOX believes the trademarks to be abandoned)

The original USFL is suing the new USFL for trademark infringement, false advertising and false association related to their league name, logos and uniforms. 

"The Real USFL, LLC" filed the complaint in a California federal court on Monday. The plaintiff alleges that the new USFL is "an unabashed counterfeit" and that "it has no right" to the league's name as well as the names and logos of each of the eight teams.

The suit also contends that the new USFL "has traded on the false narrative that Fox’s League and USFL teams are the offspring of the original."

"Fox could have easily started its own league with new teams, but instead chose to take the goodwill and nostalgia of the original league without the permission of the people who actually created it," attorney Alex Brown said in a press release. "Fox can’t dispute that the ‘Real USFL’ marks are recognizable and valued because they’re using them and purposefully confusing its league with the original. Rather than do the right thing, Fox has chosen to try and bully the prior owners into submission. That’s not going to happen."

This isn't the first time that the original USFL has come after the new, Fox-backed league. They also spoke out about the league's branding in 2021 and entered negotiations with Fox about it.

However, nothing came of those talks. Fox claimed that the trademarks had been abandoned, as the league had been defunct for more than 30 years and last played a season during the spring of 1985.

If you told me that Luis Perez has played QB in every league not named the NFL in the last 10 years I would believe you

Seeing that little drone just flying by the players like an oversized fly is really funny. Kind of distracting but something you can get used to

Edited by hammerva

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Wait the entire season is being played in Birmingham?    Granted that it might be the one area with a decent attendance in this league but good luck getting fans in a New Jersey vs Houston game 

Won't count unless three walls are pink and the championship game is a ham on the goal posts match.

Not a good start to the USFL opening weekend when you have to postpone several games due to weather because they're all being played in the same city.  We'll see if they make it through the season at this rate.

• Like 1

I just learned - and this probably should be the model the USFL followed - that the Premier Lacrosse League plays all their games in one location.

HOWEVER - they do a touring model like say NASCAR. So one week - all the games are in Philly, the next week all the games in NY, etc..

There is nothing you can do about weather - however starting up Easter weekend in the Bible Belt is a questionable strategy (though it was probably dictated by the TV Networks)

Assuming that people in Alabama would be more into football than church isn't the worst logic to think of.  Assuming that people in Alabama would watch football where the closest thing to Alabama is maybe an offensive lineman for the Panthers or the Breakers is just stupid

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Eh, it's football.  I'll watch it.

Hey, I found USFL's new slogan!

I will say that the way they were hyping it up reminded me of XFL in the early '00s minus the initial ratings boost.  I forgot it was even on but even if I remembered it didn't sound like it worth watching over AEW that night.

• Haha 2