DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

25 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Has Ballers just become real life?

Ricky Jerret to the XFL rumours begin now.

I just thought the same thing.

Man, people love throwing away millions on pipe dreams.

• Like 3

Can't wait until it's announced that Dwayne managed to negotiate a better XFL TV deal than Vince ever got.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Its technically not a done deal because the creditors immediately filed a compliant saying the price is undervalued

However - considering the Rock's bid was the only bid - most likely the bankruptcy court will approve the sale

• Like 1

In an interview with the Athletic, Dany Garcia said they love having 8 teams for now (though most likely will relocate some teams).

IF the try to have a Spring 2021 season - it most likely would be done via a one city bubble.

In my opinion, considering its the Rock and how desperate (in theory) networks will be for live content - they might be able to get a passable one year TV deal

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In an interview with the Athletic, Dany Garcia said they love having 8 teams for now (though most likely will relocate some teams).

IF the try to have a Spring 2021 season - it most likely would be done via a one city bubble.

In my opinion, considering its the Rock and how desperate (in theory) networks will be for live content - they might be able to get a passable one year TV deal

I suspect due to the somewhat successful Titan Games, NBC will be up there on the possible networks.

• Like 1

I need to find the original context because I am positive this is a situation where Dave is totally clueless but he was saying on the radio show that Dany Garcia was bitching yesterday that all the headlines only mentioned the Rock and she was all "I paid the same amount of money and will be doing more of the work"

And while I am positive that statement is 100% correct - she has also been with the Rock for long enough and knows how PR works that anything besides saying this is a joking manner is unbelievable.

Not to Meltzer though - THIS ISN'T A GOOD SIGN FOR THIS VERSION OF THE LEAGUE!!!!

• Like 4

"Bitching" amounted to two tweets that were actually replies to other tweets (one was someone bitching, the other was taking a shot at a site's headline that didn't mention her at all in the story).  Both were pretty justifed, so Meltzer is of course, off base.

That said, Duane has been going out of his way to make sure she's getting her due.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I need to find the original context because I am positive this is a situation where Dave is totally clueless but he was saying on the radio show that Dany Garcia was bitching yesterday that all the headlines only mentioned the Rock and she was all "I paid the same amount of money and will be doing more of the work"

And while I am positive that statement is 100% correct - she has also been with the Rock for long enough and knows how PR works that anything besides saying this is a joking manner is unbelievable.

Not to Meltzer though - THIS ISN'T A GOOD SIGN FOR THIS VERSION OF THE LEAGUE!!!!

Yeah, I listened to that this morning and just facepalmed. I also have to couch these statements by saying I like Meltzer, but man he almost always reads the room wrong on stuff like this.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So apparently there is a new league called The Spring League.  Which is strange since the first game I have even heard of is in October 

It is the Conquerors vs the Generals.  No idea from what cities.  

Edited by hammerva

• 2 months later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30623209/johnny-manziel-agrees-join-fan-controlled-football-startup-league

Johnny Manziel has agreed to resume his playing career with a startup league called Fan Controlled Football, he told ESPN this week.

The league, scheduled to begin play in February, will feature 7-on-7 games where fans set rosters, call plays and interact in a blend of traditional and esports environments.

"The more I heard about what this was going to be, the more I felt it was going to be something that was just very fun," Manziel said. "It's going to be very fan-oriented and something I could get behind without being extremely, extremely, extremely serious, the way that my football career has been in the past."

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Fox Sports bought the rights so it will be using the original team names and logos

8 Teams with games airing on Fox Sports

Beyond that - no one wanted to give further details

Oh and the person co-owning it with Fox Sports is Brian Woods who is CEO of The Spring League

So somehow that dude is gonna be running 2 spring football leagues