DVDVR Message Board

ELDER SCROLLS OMNIBUS THREAD

JLSigman

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

FINALLY finished the Thieves Guild.

Boy did it get tedious near the end trying to do all the little jobs to get it fully up and running

As sad that the Guild Master armor is nowhere near as good as the Nightingale Armor

It's worth the hassle going to Riften and starting the Thieves Guild quest as soon as you can for that armor. Almost nothing better in the game unless you have a bunch of crafting mods.

Well the first half of my play through was heavy armor. I switch to light armor when I went deep into the thieves guild.

It won't matter anyway when I get my smithing back up to 100 to make Dragon Armor again

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well the first half of my play through was heavy armor. I switch to light armor when I went deep into the thieves guild.

It won't matter anyway when I get my smithing back up to 100 to make Dragon Armor again

You poor idiot.

You will slave away at this and get to the point where you are just shy of beating the game....

.... and then Destiny 2 will hit shelves.

• 3 weeks later...

So what are the general thoughts on Oblivion around here? I picked it up 5-6 years ago for the PS3, but never even really completed the first mission. I've been thinking of going back and playing through it finally.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:24 AM, Eivion said:

So what are the general thoughts on Oblivion around here? I picked it up 5-6 years ago for the PS3, but never even really completed the first mission. I've been thinking of going back and playing through it finally.

Oblivion is okay.  I felt less like a douchebag working for the Assassin's Guild in Oblivion than I did in Skyrim.

The rewards for completion of the AG quests in Oblivion are certainly worth icky feeling you get from all of the murders you commit, and there is a morbidly satisfying feeling to be had from infiltration and staging things so that the assassinations look like accidents.

Nothing in TES assassin land will top climbing the ranks of the Morag Tong in TES: Morrowind, though.

On 8/13/2017 at 3:24 AM, Eivion said:

Most people say that if you've played Skyrim, you won't enjoy Oblivion as much. I tried it a few times myself when it first came out and just could not get into it.

• Like 1

I actually never played Oblivion as I didn't own that era of console and wasn't really PC gaming then either. I do keep it wishlisted on Steam and will *probably* buy it really cheap on sale some day, but my expectations are kind of low since both Morrowind and Skyrim got the same "Oblivion is okay but that was better" (in different ways) line. I should still play through it at some point. It can't possibly go worse than me trying to find the enjoyment out of Daggerfall like 20 years too late.

39 minutes ago, jstout said:

Phil, I didn't care as much for the Dawnguard DLC, but Dragonborn is really, really good. Maybe you can revisit it after Destiny fever wears off.

Funnily - Dawnguard is this the one I did already (mainly to stop the fucking Vampire attacks)

Started Oblivion again. Yep, didn't even make it out of the beginning with the first dungeon last time. That was my first time playing Elder Scrolls then. Its easier dealing with things after playing Skyim though combat feels a bit stilted comparatively. I'm also not nearly as fond as talking to people or the menu interface. I liked how they simplified those in Skyrim. I'm not sure how persuasion works, but its very different and weird. The map was so much nicer as well. Despite my complaints I don't dislike it so far.

Have to say the system for stealing in Oblivion is complete horseshit. I've gotten into trouble at least twice now for simply looking into peoples' inventories while trying take absolutely nothing. Whats worse, I've now just been suspended from one of my guilds for doing this on complete fucking accident. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? Now I'm on an annoying fucking fetch quest to get back into good graces.

• Like 1

The leveling system is another oddity. I've been upping my skills a good deal since I started yet gain no levels. It kept throwing me off. I finally decide to sleep for an hour and suddenly gain a damn level. I do it several more times and am now on level 5. Now I have to wonder just how many more I can gain.

EDIT: And now finally reading how leveling works makes me regret just a pinch gain those levels. I probably should have stopped at 3 or 4. The leveling system weirdly complex and moronic. I'm really starting to see why so many changes were made with Skyrim. It might be a bit oversimplified on some things, but it make a lot more sense and is way easier for first time players.

• Like 1

You had to sleep to level up in Morrowind and Daggerfall as well. It was a standard Elder Scrolls feature. Beds in Skyrim still have a sleep option but to my knowledge the only base game use is triggering a Dark Brotherhood event, other than that it's a hold over thing they really did nothing with.

I did not like Skyrim's levelling/skill system and it was one of the first things I modded. But yes, for casual Elder Scrolls players, it was a lot simpler.

I don't have problem with sleeping to level up. Its just a little weird and maybe something they could have mentioned in game. The leveling and skill system beyond that is just odd and unnecessarily complex, designed purely to work against the player.

In Skyrim you get a well rested bonus stat for sleeping more than 4 hours.

I also think you got a bonus for sleeping with your lover (maybe that was just Fallout)

Of course if you are a werewolf you got dick

On 16/08/2017 at 6:08 PM, Eivion said:

Have to say the system for stealing in Oblivion is complete horseshit. I've gotten into trouble at least twice now for simply looking into peoples' inventories while trying take absolutely nothing. Whats worse, I've now just been suspended from one of my guilds for doing this on complete fucking accident. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? Now I'm on an annoying fucking fetch quest to get back into good graces.

If I catch somebody rummaging through my pockets to see what's in there, I'm probably going to be pissed, even if they haven't taken anything. But if it's easy to do by accident then yeah, that's a problem.

Well here is the thing. In Skyrim if you were caught sneaking doing that people would call you a sneak thief, but do nothing else as long as you took nothing. You also had actually be seen when doing so. In Oblivion it seems to count as a steal attempt even if you aren't actually seen sneaking. That annoys me.